Pressure treated plywood for new blind ?

BC Buck

5 year old buck +
Designing new blind and did not want to mess with barn tin again. I like it being maintenance free but hard to work with. HD has PT plywood for about $26 a sheet. I will use tin on roof but was wondering how long the plywood would last if I gave it a good coat of paint.

We have several shooting houses, that are over 10 years old, we used untreated plywood on them with no paint and they are holding up extremely well. If you use PT plywood, paint it periodically and give yourself a good foot to 18 inches of overhang on the roof, your probably looking at very long siding life. Make sure the PT plywood gets a chance to dry before you paint it, or you may end up with peeling paint. Some of the PT lumber can be saturated when you buy it. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Previous owners of my place built one with PT plywood. No over hang and roll shingle roof, no paint. It's in a terrible spot so it's just a wasp house at this point. I've had the place 10 years and I'm sure it was there a while before me.

It's still in very good usable condition. Keep the roof sound and with paint and it will last longer than you.

I used cheap 7/16" OSB. Sprayed heavy with green paint, especially edges. Mine are either 5 or 6 years old, still look like new.

I used PT (green treat) plywood for floor 3/4", T-111 for the sides, and tin for the roof.

Hated building the dang thing but its the place EVERYONE wants to hunt from, including me.

You can kind of see it in the background of my profile picture.... in the sky lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use one of the T-111 competing products because it is less expensive and holds up well. I don't like a metal roof. They are very noisy in the rain. I use sheets of Ondura. I'm in a warmer climate than many and it works well for air flow. I have some threads on the Projects board that show pictures of some of my stands during construction.

We have a couple blinds built 22 years ago out of 100% treated plywood and lumber. They were all painted at first and never again. They are still solid. We did put Tin over the roof to avoid ponding of water.

Also have a blind that is about 15 years old and nothing was treated or painted. 93.56% rotten now.

I have blinds that are 25 years old that I built with PT plywood. After a few years I gave them all a good spraying with Thompson's water sealer. My roofs are regular 25 year shingles. I put on another layer of fresh shingles 5 years ago with the help of a good friend who has a truck with a cherry picker on it. Made the entire reroofing job a breeze!
My enclosed blinds are the preferred choices as my hunters have aged.

I used pressure green treated wood, but mine isn't that old. I made a wood roof with tin over the top to keep it dry. The wood was pretty wet when I got it, so I am leaving it dry a couple years and I will roll some paint on it. I just took some spray paint to camo it out some. I did spray the edges good though. I tell you, best investment I made for hunting. I also installed Deer View windows, love them!
413e8e893f6df96f95e6e83d722cf064.jpg

3084dfde20d09f28326946e521e92a9e.jpg

76b8f5342eea860b528834bdfa881a0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just remember that if you use BASIC nails in treated wood, the chemicals in the wood will EAT the nails over time, if there NOT coated, thats why deck screws are coated.

I built many blinds and stands using PT wood and always used deck screws, also makes like easier if you ever have to repair a blind too, being able to UN SCREW a section, or if you modify things as you learn whats more better for your location or?? want improvements as you use the blind over time!

but treated wood , also comes in grades, above ground and in ground too, so, better the treatment the longer it will last

Painting it, actually might LOWER its life, as it won't let it breath as it would without paint on it,
if you want more camo looking, you can STAIN it, with different Darker/lighter stains, JUST allow a bunch of time to vent out , or deer to get used to its smell LOL
same thing treated wood and cement don't play well, coat it first with something from roofing tar, to under coating(rattle can works well here with that), and add some 2b or so sized gravel to any footer holes , so wood doesn't sit in wet ground over time and rot UP from there on you!

Thanks for all the input. Going with PT and Deerview windows.

Squirrels eat the crap out of pressure treated plywood. If you have any amish yard barn builders in the area they sell there scraps cheap.

I used T-111 and tin roofing over plywood up top. I painted it and fashioned my own camo pattern. 10 years old and it looks new. I can see another 20 years out of it no problem.

I am no longer a fan of osb for stands. I have 2 holes now in one that is only 2 years old. I am going to go skin them with 20 gauge smooth metal. These were painted with about 3 coats of paint as well. Problem is if one of the osb chips comes a little unglued and curls out it gives the wood peckers a place to sit.

I am no longer a fan of osb for stands. I have 2 holes now in one that is only 2 years old. I am going to go skin them with 20 gauge smooth metal. These were painted with about 3 coats of paint as well. Problem is if one of the osb chips comes a little unglued and curls out it gives the wood peckers a place to sit.

What kind of metal are you planing to use. Shaddow hunter uses 36" wide aluminum coil stock but I was not able to find material like that.

I was going to use 4x8 aluminum but 20 gauge 4x8 steel was 1/3 the price. I think they were $26 per sheet.