Pre-emergent for graft garden

gunfun13

5 year old buck +
I am grafting a couple hundred apple, pear and persimmons this spring. Is there a pre-emergent herbicide I can use in the garden I'll be planting all these freshly grafted trees into? I used Preen before when I had lesser trees, but it wasn't very effective.

Last year when I got home from spraying the orchards I hit my graft nursery with the same strong rate of atrazine and prowl h2o. Best decision ever.

Where is a good place to buy standard size tree rootstock? I'd like to get as many apples as I can on one tree, for both the family and the deer.

Where is a good place to buy standard size tree rootstock? I'd like to get as many apples as I can on one tree, for both the family and the deer.
Many county soil and water departments offer annual tree sales that include red splendor crabapples. That's what I currently use for grafting rootstock and a 20 pack of trees is typically around $50. You can also likely get some Antonovka rootstock from SLN in New York, but you would need to call them for availability. Seedling trees for grafting are usually only a couple bucks per tree. I've also purchased dolgo seedlings from Chief River Nursery and they can be used for grafting as well.

I am grafting a couple hundred apple, pear and persimmons this spring. Is there a pre-emergent herbicide I can use in the garden I'll be planting all these freshly grafted trees into? I used Preen before when I had lesser trees, but it wasn't very effective.
Preen. Pursuit. Atrazine.