Prairie Pit-Stop

Yep that looks like it needed a couple stitches, good thing it wasn't your eye. Seems like we all bleed every year for our habitat love...beats the hell out of sitting on the couch.

That looks great!

They must look like cattle shoots after a while.

What a rollercoaster.
Feeling it this morning.

Earliest I have ever punched my tag, happy and sad at the same time. Hung a couple new stands that I was excited to see the views from. And will miss not being in the stand when the first chasing begins. But I kept to an old saying. Dont pass on the first if you would shoot on the last, been burned by that in the past thinking oh theres plenty of time left. On the brightside, it frees up some time to chase waterfowl during the heart of the migration for a change.

Feel like the pieces of the puzzle are finally starting to come together.

Finding out, less is truly more.
20190925_212758.jpg

Congrats!

Congrats! Nice buck and early too!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Way to go! Thats a beauty! Looks nice and heavy!

There is absolutely nothing bad about not having to sit in a cold tree.....

Congratulations!

Nice buck, congrats! Looks pretty old! Good mass.

Well hell yes! Nice buck, now you have all fall to relax and hunt at your leisure no pressure about anything. Hope I can do the same one of these days and be done early.

Sometimes persistence pays off.

After enduring the worst 5 day bad luck streak I can remember last weekend.
Day 1 - drove 4 hrs only to find cattle out in the area I was supposed to hunt, had to postpone the hunt a week, burning 2 vacation days in the process.
2 - heading home blew a hose on the diesel and was stranded in the middle of nowwhere.
3- blew a tire on my other truck as I was pulling up to trailer the other rig home.
4- got bronchitis.
5- dog needed an emergency trip to the vet.

Fast forward to last Saturday and I'm back in the saddle for one more go round. As im getting ready to drop the ice castle to set up hunting camp, notice a tire has a belt that is about ready to explode, and all I could think of is here we go again. Got the tire off luckily (needed a 13/16 deep well thin walled socket, not something I necessarily keep on hand) but that would have to wait to get fixed.

Day 1 of the hunt started off with rain/mist, and zero deer movement. Shifted focus and had a fun evening hunt on a tiny public piece. Hunted off the ground, and had a 3x3 get to about 7 yards a couple times trying to figure out what that goofy looking thing was in the brush pile.

Day 2 started off with a cold stiff NW breeze and again not a single sighting. Felt I wasnt in the game and needed to make something happen as I only had 3 days to hunt.

Took off and still hunted for a couple miles looping in and out of draws. Found my self in a bit of a pickle surround by some not so happy looking cows with calfs and decided it was best to back out.

Made it back to the main draw I was in and sat on the ground out of exhaustion, and that's when my luck began to change.

From out of nowhere a whitetail doe came flying like lightning from the draw over about half a mile. Hot on her heels is a "Michigan 11 pointer", acting like a brama bull he chases her all over the place. Could tell she wanted nothing to do with the litte guy.

This activity was equivalent to kicking a hornet's nest. In less than 15min there were 3 whitetail bucks on the chase an 3 more does joined the party. Figured it was time to make the first move.

Made it to a ridge about a 1/4mile over for a better view. Got the spotting scope on the lead deer and decided he was more than good enough for me, a solid 5x5 in the 135/45 range. Packed up my gear and made my second move down to the face of a dam another 1/4 mile over.

The does were getting sick of all chasing and were able to loose there pursuers. I thought here is my chance. At 100 yards I was planning my final move when reasons unknown to me at that point the feeding 5x5 an his buddy got tense an started to work off. Dejected I make my way back around the dam and climb to the top of the nearest crest to get a better view and try to find where everyone went.

That is when I got my eyes on the disturbace maker. A dandy of a mullie, the true goal of my trip out west. Looking out the glass I formulate my plan. Luck was on my side as he bedded down shortly after spotting him.

Packed up one last time and beat feet. Took the long way around, good half mile, through a dam wash out to hide my movement and around the side slope of the ridge he was on.

Dropped gear an took one last drink to try and settle the nerves for the last 200 yards.

Made it about half way when a doe busts out of the draw below me. Crap. Sit still for 5 min and press on. Then again a doe busts out and all I can think is game over. He had to see that white flag waving goodbye.

Only happy thought I could muster was, well I didn't see him running for the hills so I pressed on crawling the last 25 yards hoping he would still be laying there.

As I made it to the point I picked out from scope back at the dam I slowly raised to see ivory white tines against the brown backdrop and my heart started hammering, could feel it in my ears.

I leaned over again and ranged him, dead on 50 yards. Little farther than I would like.
Out of moves to make, I contemplate my options. I can feel the wind start to swirl and my milkweed floaters confirm my scent is going up the hillside then begin falling back down the draw.

I see his head raise and he stands looking my direction. Well, it's now or never. I raise and draw in one motion, saying one word slowly, steady. I settle my pin and let her fly. The g5 montec flew true an hit like a hammer, going through a frontside rib and out the opposite shoulder, ended up going 45 yards then piled up.

20191104_115045.jpg

Can still replay the arrows flight in my mind.
Never will forget this adventure.
2 bucks same broadhead just resharpened, will never go back to mechanical heads. Although I give up cutting diameter, the low drag of the head gives me the confidence to tuck the pin tight to the shoulder without fear. That broadhead is now officially retired an will be accompanying the mount.

The second pic is my viewpoint where I let the arrow fly. His bed was in the draw behind the one brushy clump.

20191104_150943.jpg

Nov 4th is turning into my lucky day, biggest whitetail an now this fella.

Give thanks to the man above, think he gave me the little bit of luck I needed.

Last edited:
Congrats! I think I should take offense to the "Michigan 11 point " lol

Scott
Ha, thought that was common verbage up there in the UP. Think he would of easily grossed 12in but it looked as if he broke off a bit off one side, almost a unicorn.

Scott
Ha, thought that was common verbage up there in the UP. Think he would of easily grossed 12in but it looked as if he broke off a bit off one side, almost a unicorn.
It probably is, I've heard it before just kidding you, I may or may not have shot one or two in my younger days.

Great hunt
Congratulations!

Man what a story. Felt like I was reading Field and Stream. That's a fantastic looking buck. Glad you were rewarded with him.

Fun evening.
The wife pulled off a great kill shot.
Her first buck and first tag in about 10 years.
Only deer we saw that evening. Spotted him out in the switch. Disappeard for awhile, then came back into view, made a slow 20 min walk to 80 yards broadside for her. She was shaking like a leaf.

Not used to tracking rifle shot deer. Maybe it was just the 22-250s small round. But I was starting to worry and she was about to cry because we didn't find a single drop of blood. Was getting dark so I just started looking the direction he traveled. Never did make it 50 yards, and crumpled where I last saw him enter the slough. Heart shot, but honestly struggled to find an entrance hole, right off the tip of the shoulder point, quartering away, no exit.

She is hooked, think she wants to go bow shopping. Ha

20191125_081241.jpg

Fun evening.
The wife pulled off a great kill shot.
Her first buck and first tag in about 10 years.
Only deer we saw that evening. Spotted him out in the switch. Disappeard for awhile, then came back into view, made a slow 20 min walk to 80 yards broadside for her. She was shaking like a leaf.

Not used to tracking rifle shot deer. Maybe it was just the 22-250s small round. But I was starting to worry and she was about to cry because we didn't find a single drop of blood. Was getting dark so I just started looking the direction he traveled. Never did make it 50 yards, and crumpled where I last saw him enter the slough. Heart shot, but honestly struggled to find an entrance hole, right off the tip of the shoulder point, quartering away, no exit.

She is hooked, think she wants to go bow shopping. Ha

View attachment 27219
Congrats to your wife!

Lotta venison on that big ol boy!! Great picture too! :) congrats to her