Popple regeneration

NWWI

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have any tips on regenerating popple stands? I was told by a forester that if I so desired I could cut down the other trees in the general area of a small stand of popples (8-12 trees) and they would regenerate without having to cut the few I have left down. Do you need to have bare soil exposed to get the popples to sprout from the roots or will they come up through the leaf matter?

If you cut down a 1/4 acre of popple, and you have atleast 10-20 popple trees, they will sprout up all over that area, and strive if the sun is shining on them.

If you are asking if you cut down 3-4 trees in a 1/4 acre, will you get a thick stand, probably not. They pop up from the root structure that was feeding the previous trees you cut down.

I think if you open the canopy by cutting other trees they will start from any roots that are under the existing trees. I have them sprouting in my yard all the time near existing established poplars.

You also need to cut them before they bud out to get maximum regeneration,

You also need to cut them before they bud out to get maximum regeneration,

Your avatar evokes memories of BullWinkle and other ghosts of "forums past"

Sorry to digress

bill

There's a saying that "poplars will not grow in their own shade." Removing the trees around your poplar trees and exposing the forest floor to sun will stimulate some new growth. But there is also an allelopathic effect in poplars. You will get way more growth and stimulate a much denser stand if you remove the mature poplars too. Mature poplars allowed to remain will inhibit a lot of that new growth you're looking for. You don't necessarily have to remove them. I girdle a lot of mine when they are massive and I don't want to fell them. That works. I also just drop many and allow them to lay on the ground for grouse drumming logs.

You don't need bare soil. New shoots will come up just fine through the leaf liter.

I have quaking aspen I removed the sickly looking ones cleared some brush

Viola the new shoots are way too many to count

I had someone tell me that if you cut a mature say 50ft Poppel down, it will shoot up sprouts in a 50ft circle around that stump.

I had someone tell me that if you cut a mature say 50ft Poppel down, it will shoot up sprouts in a 50ft circle around that stump.

Exactly. I've always cleared 20 yards around a mature poplar I want to fell to regenerate a new stand. But, if there is another poplar growing within that circle it will inhibit much of that growth. Both trees have to come down.

For you guys who are saying "popple" or "poplar" - are you talking tulip / yellow poplar - or aspen?? I've seen those terms used interchangeably before.
Here in Pa. we have quaking aspen AND tulip poplar. Aspen can be cut down and new shoots will sprout from the root systems to thicken an area. I have no knowledge of what would happen with cutting down a tulip poplar - never tried it.

Can you guys with bona fide tulip poplars enlighten me ........ and others here?? I've not heard of doing that with poplars. Ready to learn!!