Pompas Grass For Screening

younggun1849

5 year old buck +
Anybody ever tried planting pompas grass for a screen? Every time I see some driving around it holds up really well, even after winter it is still standing tall. I think it would work really well, just be sure to control it. Once it is established burn it in the spring, and it grows every year. Any issues?

http://www.hgtvgardens.com/ornamental-grasses/pampas-and-circumstance-planting-pampas-grass

I would stay away, controlling it doesn't sound easy. I would try to stick to shrubs, willow, HP and spruce.

But pampas grass is incredibly prolific when it comes to seed production; a single plant can bear up to a million seeds over its lifetime. The self-sowing seeds can sprout in almost any kind of soil, too. And although pampas grass dies back in the winter, it rebounds once warm weather returns.

Its roots also grow deep into the ground, allowing pampas grass to survive droughts and making it hard for gardeners to eliminate. Some resort to chopping it down with machetes or chainsaws, or even burning the plants, although they usually regrow in a few weeks. Spraying with an herbicide will work, but you often need to make multiple applications. No matter how you tackle it, you’ll need to wear protective clothing and thick gloves to avoid being cut on its razor-like edges.

Because it’s so tough and aggressive, pampas grass has landed on the list of invasive weeds in California and Texas. It’s banned in Hawaii and New Zealand, and also appears on a USDA list of invasive plants to watch.

Miscanthus Giganthus will give you the same 10 -12 foot screen and it produces a sterile seed head so there is no invasive aspect to worry about.

It spreads to about a 5-6 foot clump, last 20 years and can be propagated via cuttings.

The only draw back may be cold tolerance in your area. I'd test a few before going hog wild.

I started seeing it all over the place about 5 years ago and looked into planting some before I found out about Miscanthus x Giganteus. I'll echo the others advice and say to stay clear of the Pampas. The plantings I saw 5 years ago have completely taken over those areas. You wouldn't be able to walk through them or manage them. Highly invasive.