Clethodim for a fallow clover field C-N? Crabgrass Timothy

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Anybody use Cleth to maintain a fallow field? I cleand up the old stump holes, rocks, and lumps with a till lime and mixed clover planting in spring 2020. There are rows of poplar and spruce on one end.

Will cleth kill crabgrass? I wish to keep it in there. IT appears it might. I sprayed cleth, then rundup around the trees about 3 weeks apart. Not seeing any there. Of course the roundup could of killed it and the cleth might not of done it, or was going to. Everything took a long time to die this year with the lack of a decent rain.

The north end of the plot was grass seeded and is chocked with I think fescue. I did throw some timothy in in this fallow field and my neighboring clover plot. The clover has just a little left from the 2018 or so planting of it.

Just want to make a more edible selection of local forbs weeds. I do have to keep it mowed when it's a foot tall or so. I usually mow every 2-3 weeks. After spraying in august, I plan of frost seeding with a mix of dutch, ladino, birdsfoot, and medium red clovers.

Should I leave it alone or possibly introduce a more plaatable grass in the mix, Perennial rye deosnt; both me. I do know they eat it. I got to admit, the deer, rabbits, and woodchucks flock to my backyard. So, maybe leave it alone or just spray cleth on that heavy grass end of the field.

Crabgrass is on the label so it should kill it. The Label says spray at the 3 to 5 inch stage. So you may have to turn the heat up if its larger grass.

If you are spraying in August and spreading seed I would just mow every 3 weeks until then. Spread that seed before the vegetation dies and covers the soil. The seed won’t get to the soil if you spread it on top of the dead vegetation. Learned that the hard way.

A few weeks ago I treated the grass in this clover plot to a dose of Cleth. The recent drought has helped the Cleth to do its job, and as you can see, the grasses are toast. You will also note that my clover has matured and the heads are turning brown. Normally I would mow this just high enough to scatter the seed, but due to lack of rain, I'm thinking I shouldn't touch it now until fall.

[IMG]

If you are spraying in August and spreading seed I would just mow every 3 weeks until then. Spread that seed before the vegetation dies and covers
Anybody use Cleth to maintain a fallow field? I cleand up the old stump holes, rocks, and lumps with a till lime and mixed clover planting in spring 2020. There are rows of poplar and spruce on one end.

Will cleth kill crabgrass? I wish to keep it in there. IT appears it might. I sprayed cleth, then rundup around the trees about 3 weeks apart. Not seeing any there. Of course the roundup could of killed it and the cleth might not of done it, or was going to. Everything took a long time to die this year with the lack of a decent rain.

The north end of the plot was grass seeded and is chocked with I think fescue. I did throw some timothy in in this fallow field and my neighboring clover plot. The clover has just a little left from the 2018 or so planting of it.

Just want to make a more edible selection of local forbs weeds. I do have to keep it mowed when it's a foot tall or so. I usually mow every 2-3 weeks. After spraying in august, I plan of frost seeding with a mix of dutch, ladino, birdsfoot, and medium red clovers.

Should I leave it alone or possibly introduce a more plaatable grass in the mix, Perennial rye deosnt; both me. I do know they eat it. I got to admit, the deer, rabbits, and woodchucks flock to my backyard. So, maybe leave it alone or just spray cleth on that heavy grass end of the field.

the soil. The seed won’t get to the soil if you spread it on top of the dead vegetation. Learned that the hard way.

Sounds like a good plan except for the trefoil. In my experience, Birdsfoot Trefoil is extremely invasive and I have never, ever seen any evidence of deer browsing it. At one time it was highly touted as a deer forage but after having nothing but negative experience with it I haven’t planted any of it in 25-30 years. Unfortunately, I still struggle to eradicate it.