Pollinator Planting

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
Has anyone on here done the pollinator planting for one of the nrcs programs? If so was it very slow to establish? I did a planting in early June, I have some small plants emerging but not nearly as much as I figured and the ones that have are still very small. I don't really want to replant so Im hoping it comes through.

My neighbor just did about 15 acres this spring. So far we can’t find much in there but weeds. He was told it takes until the second or third year to really come on.

Has anyone on here done the pollinator planting for one of the nrcs programs? If so was it very slow to establish? I did a planting in early June, I have some small plants emerging but not nearly as much as I figured and the ones that have are still very small. I don't really want to replant so Im hoping it comes through.
i have several different plantings with different mixes planted at different times. I wouldn't be to worried about what you see the first couple years, one of mine is on year 3 and this year it is really coming together, i have several plantings that i planted last year and they are showing a a bit better than last year but still a long ways from finished.
Do some reading on proper mowing techniques as it will really help your planting in the long run. I also spent some time walking them and eliminating some invasive. Another thing that will really help is if you eliminate grasses in the planting until it gets established. Most of the programs want you to have grasses in it from the start but i can tell you that removing grasses from the start until the perennial flowers and forbs can get established works much better than trying to manage with the grasses in it form the beginning.
I also built myself a digital image library of flower images so i can cross reference with what appears each year. As an example my 3 year old planting has a flush of foxglove beardstongue this year and this is the first year it appeared and flowered.
I have more fun with my pollinator plantings than i do my food plots ! and the NRCS Monarch pollinator program is very lucrative - $2300 an acre in my area.

Thanks for the info guys. John do you have a link to the mowing maintenance. I have a brush mower for the tractor but wasn't sure if the heavy tractor would kill some of the new plants. Definitely have some of the old grass coming back and also what looks like a ton of milkweed.

Thanks for the info guys. John do you have a link to the mowing maintenance. I have a brush mower for the tractor but wasn't sure if the heavy tractor would kill some of the new plants. Definitely have some of the old grass coming back and also what looks like a ton of milkweed.
i dont have any specific links i read quite a few papers on it. I mow with my 34 horse tractor and brush hog, you want to cut at 10-12" high.the tractor tires will knock some plants down but there wont be any long term damage. I mow before green up or late fall winter right to the ground , then time my mowings in june depending growth at 10-12" tall. sometimes late summer mowing can be beneficial as well, It really depends on your location and species.
Milkweed is a good thing , i wouldn't worry about that at all.
Most pollinator plantings have milkweed as a component for butterflies, specifically monarchs. My main concerns were invasive thistle and other exotics. Most of the annuals will be overtaken by the perennial forbs over time.

Lucrative but the seeds are also crazy expensive per acre right?

Lucrative but the seeds are also crazy expensive per acre right?
my payment was $2300 per acre and the seed cost was a bit over $500 per acre. I think my location is considered high priority so the payment is on the higher end.

my payment was $2300 per acre and the seed cost was a bit over $500 per acre. I think my location is considered high priority so the payment is on the higher end.
Wow. That blows my $185 an acre for standard “pollinator” acres out of the water! I know we have monarchs in my area but haven’t ever heard of that specific program. 500 an acre is nothing for seed when it’s bringing 2300 per! Did they also cost share your seed/planting?

Wow. That blows my $185 an acre for standard “pollinator” acres out of the water! I know we have monarchs in my area but haven’t ever heard of that specific program. 500 an acre is nothing for seed when it’s bringing 2300 per! Did they also cost share your seed/planting?
i know the payment rate varies by area but the monarch program is definitely higher than the others. They dont cost share the seed or planting that was all on me, its actually pretty simple though. I used a tractor for some of it but one could accomplish it with nothing more than an atv and a sprayer and or fire to prepare the site ahead of time. I went thru conservation blueprint for my seed mix and they actually threw in some hard to find seed and helped me add to the required NRCS mix so my diversity was even better.

i know the payment rate varies by area but the monarch program is definitely higher than the others. They dont cost share the seed or planting that was all on me, its actually pretty simple though. I used a tractor for some of it but one could accomplish it with nothing more than an atv and a sprayer and or fire to prepare the site ahead of time. I went thru conservation blueprint for my seed mix and they actually threw in some hard to find seed and helped me add to the required NRCS mix so my diversity was even better.
I’ve got all the equipment to do the planting. I’m going to inquire about any new programs if funds are still available when I’m eligible to re enroll in a couple years. I’m debating re enrolling some or none at this point. I’d love to put my pollinator acres (12-15) in at that rate and pull the other 110 out! Out of curiosity which state are you in?

I’ve got all the equipment to do the planting. I’m going to inquire about any new programs if funds are still available when I’m eligible to re enroll in a couple years. I’m debating re enrolling some or none at this point. I’d love to put my pollinator acres (12-15) in at that rate and pull the other 110 out! Out of curiosity which state are you in?
NE Wi door county

Looks like it is available in MO - not my home state of AR

E32BB944-4371-483F-A982-FF81DF2AD18E.png

Looks like it is available in MO - not my home state of AR

View attachment 25042
There’s a 100% chance I’ll be checking into this when my contracts start expiring. I’m curious if my county in northern MO is eligible and/or if my property meets qualifications. I already have quite a bit of milkweed...not sure it that helps or hurts.

There’s a 100% chance I’ll be checking into this when my contracts start expiring. I’m curious if my county in northern MO is eligible and/or if my property meets qualifications. I already have quite a bit of milkweed...not sure it that helps or hurts.

Google I-35 Monarch Highway. Bet if you are close to there they have dollars.

Google I-35 Monarch Highway. Bet if you are close to there they have dollars.
I’m 5 miles off I35. Looks like pollinator contracts expire in 2021. Wonder if they’re doing any early re-enrollments. Ha