Harvesting Native Grasses

I can't drive the side by side past a switchgrass seed head and not strip it by hand as I drive by only to drop it somewhere else. Not as sophisticated as your process but it makes me feel good.
i do the exact same thing!

i have about 10 acres of pollinator plantings and its pretty easy to collect a good amount of seed once its ripe, you need to beat the birds to the forb seeds though, they are after them right when they are ready. I started looking for little pockets of cool season grass in late summer, then spraying it with gly so i can then frost seed either NWSG or wildflowers into it late winter, it works good and over time you can really improve little pockets of cover all over the property. Im also game for a seed excchange next year!

i have about 10 acres of pollinator plantings and its pretty easy to collect a good amount of seed once its ripe, you need to beat the birds to the forb seeds though, they are after them right when they are ready. I started looking for little pockets of cool season grass in late summer, then spraying it with gly so i can then frost seed either NWSG or wildflowers into it late winter, it works good and over time you can really improve little pockets of cover all over the property. Im also game for a seed excchange next year!
Great input. Thanks! Love the grass exchange idea, I’m in. I’m up to about 20 acres of native grasses, about 200 more to go! Ha

I'm too old and stupid to figure out any apps. I have my daughter do it with her phone and yes it does work pretty good. If I could just get her to go with me to check out some of things growing past my yard would be fantastic. She's 19 and has no interest in anything that I like. Guess she takes after her mother---poor kid.
PS. If you don't hear from me after this post please send the search and rescue as I fear my wife will kill me if she reads this. THANK YOU
Ain’t nobody older than me (my name should be “older than dirt”. All it would take for you to get similar with that app are a few cuss words and you would be an expert. At least, that’s what I did.

Ain’t nobody older than me (my name should be “older than dirt”. All it would take for you to get similar with that app are a few cuss words and you would be an expert. At least, that’s what I did.
See? I can’t even type. Familiar not similar

We almost need a native grass/wildflower seed exchange like we do with scions.
That would be awesome! I have been trying to figure a way to establish native grasses on my property without having to spend a fortune. But, since I don’t have any seed to share I guess I need to send money.

I'm too old and stupid to figure out any apps. I have my daughter do it with her phone and yes it does work pretty good. If I could just get her to go with me to check out some of things growing past my yard would be fantastic. She's 19 and has no interest in anything that I like. Guess she takes after her mother---poor kid.
PS. If you don't hear from me after this post please send the search and rescue as I fear my wife will kill me if she reads this. THANK YOU
In all seriousness I can help you get working Picture This app in five minutes. I use it daily at the farm and I really think you would enjoy it.

Just DM (direct message) me on here and I’ll walk you through it.

That would be awesome! I have been trying to figure a way to establish native grasses on my property without having to spend a fortune. But, since I don’t have any seed to share I guess I need to send money.
That’s benefit of this board. I’ll send you a starter pack of native seed in a gallon zip lock bag if you’ll direct message me your address. For free! So many people have helped me here it would be my honor.

What I ask is you

1. Take your time and plant them well. I’ve given lots of info on my success on how to plant them. A frost seeding of a 1/2-1 acre should be perfect for amount of seed I send. Rake, light disc, or burn the area to expose 50% bare dirt.
2. Spray 2quarts/acre gly and 4oz/acre of imazapic at spring green up, whenever that is for you. The stuff I send you that you will frost seed won’t have germinated yet.
3. Pay it forward to someone else on the board!

Happy thanksgiving!

In all seriousness I can help you get working Picture This app in five minutes. I use it daily at the farm and I really think you would enjoy it.

Just DM (direct message) me on here and I’ll walk you through it.

That’s benefit of this board. I’ll send you a starter pack of native seed in a gallon zip lock bag if you’ll direct message me your address. For free! So many people have helped me here it would be my honor.

What I ask is you

1. Take your time and plant them well. I’ve given lots of info on my success on how to plant them. A frost seeding of a 1/2-1 acre should be perfect for amount of seed I send. Rake, light disc, or burn the area to expose 50% bare dirt.
2. Spray 2quarts/acre gly and 4oz/acre of imazapic at spring green up, whenever that is for you. The stuff I send you that you will frost seed won’t have germinated yet.
3. Pay it forward to someone else on the board!

Happy thanksgiving!
That will be awesome of
You. How do I dm you my address?

You gonna teach him what it means to “slide into his DM’s?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t be picking on an old man. My son does enough of that. Remember, old dudes are dangerous. A lot of us are old jungle fighters.