All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plug planting tool

scott44

5 year old buck +
Just curious on what everyone uses for planting plugs? In the past I have used a dibble bar and pushed them in one corner of the hole and stomped it together and it seems to work but I have seen tools for planting and was wondering if these would be easier. I googled them and came up with a couple, I also thought of trying to fab up one and wanted some ideas. Thanks

http://www.bullytools.com/shovels_fire.html
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p...Seedling%20Dibble,%206%94%20Tip&itemnum=69031

I use a 1" brad point drill bit on a cordless drill, this works really good especially if ground conditions are dry.

I use a 1" brad point drill bit on a cordless drill, this works really good especially if ground conditions are dry.

I thought of that also but I usually get the bigger plugs, I've seen the augers bits for planting bulbs and wondered about those also.

I bought the special tool from the Itasca Greenhouse. As long as I pushed it far enough into the earth it worked well. Still lots of bending.

I purchased a 1-1/2" auger bit that will be used to plant styro 6 trees, will know for sure how it works this spring.

I ordered styro 6 trees as well and have been trying to find the right tool for the job.

How do I get one of those Bluecollar? :)

I stole the measurements off of some companies tool for bare roots. I just got a measurement for the 4a plugs and had a buddy weld something up. Worked great.
It obviously doesn't remove any dirt from the the hole but trust me my success rate with it so far it fantastic. I did about 600 plugs around May 5 last year.

Looks solid, I like the Louisville slugger

The Louisville was gift when I was like 8. Not getting any use anymore so we put it to use. I was the plugger and that bat is slippery so I got a serious case of cramped hand/arthritis after while. We had a T handle in the works to make it easier to remove from the hole or twist it loose.
I have this thing sitting in the garage I can measure it up if you want so anyone can make something similar.

Yes measure it up please.

I will. Maybe I can hold it up to one of those 1 inch block targets to show the general size. Otherwise I will just measure and describe the sections. The only real important part is what goes underground. The T handle to step on is not crucial. "Just the tip"

The Louisville was gift when I was like 8. Not getting any use anymore so we put it to use. I was the plugger and that bat is slippery so I got a serious case of cramped hand/arthritis after while. We had a T handle in the works to make it easier to remove from the hole or twist it loose.
I have this thing sitting in the garage I can measure it up if you want so anyone can make something similar.

I like the looks of your planter point. One of those split shovel handles from your ag-store would work pretty well IMO. They must be about 3.5' long, quite sturdy, and have a good grip to twist and pull.

The two pictures above are options for a planting tool. I don't have a picture of the final product. I used an old D handled shovel handle and attached it to the first picture. It worked like a champ.

Last edited:
Here is my new habitat hook. Good to know a good welder. I don't chew that's just for size. Measurements on the plug tool comimg soon...

Here is my new habitat hook. Good to know a good welder. I don't chew that's just for size. Measurements on the plug tool comimg soon...
Great looking hook, yea it's nice to have friends that can do this kind of stuff.