Jim-Gem container dibble bars

bueller

FYI... forestry suppliers is now selling a new plug planting tool. They've sold a hollow core one for a while but now they also have a solid one. Dimensions look perfect for size 6 plugs, maybe a bit oversized for 4a's. I bought one on ebay for a couple bucks cheaper than their website. http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/Products.asp?mi=15930&itemnum=69241

dibble.jpg

Here is another option

https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices/cubic-inch-plug-planting-tool

20160218_171942-1.jpg

I've heard nothing but good things about Jim's tool from the people who have used them. Didn't know he was marketing them now.

FYI... forestry suppliers is now selling a new plug planting tool. They've sold a hollow core one for a while but now they also have a solid one. Dimensions look perfect for size 6 plugs, maybe a bit oversized for 4a's. I bought one on ebay for a couple bucks cheaper than their website. http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/Products.asp?mi=15930&itemnum=69241

View attachment 8443
Does Forestry Supply sell them cheaper on Ebay ? I need to pick one up soon.

Does Forestry Supply sell them cheaper on Ebay ? I need to pick one up soon.
When you factor in shipping, yes. I don't know if they charge tax on their website but even if they don't I saved about $8 buying it on eBay. Just do a search for container dibble.

Mine was delivered today, feels great! I made a couple test holes in the backyard :D. I'm a little concerned because the point begins to really taper down at about the 4.25" depth. Per NCR trees the size 6 plugs are 5.83" and do not appear to have much of a taper at the bottom.

Mine was delivered today, feels great! I made a couple test holes in the backyard :D. I'm a little concerned because the point begins to really taper down at about the 4.25" depth. Per NCR trees the size 6 plugs are 5.83" and do not appear to have much of a taper at the bottom.
So you bought the 6 size ? Do you think it can be used for 4 size plug ?

Yes, I ordered the 6" model. The point is 6" but really starts to taper down at about 4.25". The diameter is 1.5". I think the diameter may be a bit wide for the 4a plugs. Seems perfect for size 6 plugs, except as I mentioned the taper beginning at 4.25" has me a bit concerned. I have size 6 and size 4a plugs coming this spring so I will update how it works for me then, but that probably isn't much help for someone considering ordering one to use this spring. The chart below is from NCR trees.

Size.......Cavities/block.......Cavity Diameter.......Cavity Depth

Styro 4A.........198...........................1.10”.......................5.21”
Styro 6...........112...........................1.40”.......................5.83”

Used the plug tool today around the house to make pilot holes for fertilizer spikes for some of my shrubs. Worked great! Heck of a lot better than trying to pound those spikes into the clay soil.

Planting plugs for the first time this weekend. Instructions from NCR say to cover the top of the plug with 1/2" of native soil. Those that have planted plugs, do you make sure to do that or do you just drop them in the hole and push the sides in the best possible?

I'm new to the 6 tool, but I did both, stepped them in, and then on a few I used some soil on top to make sure nothing was exposed.

Sure works good!

Thanks guys. I should have a review of this planting tool tomorrow night.

Half day of work and over 120 plugs planted with this tool. I had size 4a and 6 plugs. It worked well for both but IMO it was a better fit for the 6's. There was quite a bit of space left on the sides of the hole with the skinny 4a's. If I order plugs next year, which I'm sure I will, they will be size 6.

Last edited:
Size 4a black hills spruce shipped in bundles of 20.
1f6f27af2b14a1b89fb3c6daf220fa4e.jpg
fb29fda81f833c899bd806abad055707.jpg

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

4a's and planting tool
a81fde8fbbaa2299c5cf803fc9bafb15.jpg

Size 6 white pines and planting tool
0b2b583776d0143426407698dbdba3ee.jpg

Yes it was a absolutely beautiful day for planting!