Plug planting tool

scott44

5 year old buck +
Just curious on what everyone uses for planting plugs? In the past I have used a dibble bar and pushed them in one corner of the hole and stomped it together and it seems to work but I have seen tools for planting and was wondering if these would be easier. I googled them and came up with a couple, I also thought of trying to fab up one and wanted some ideas. Thanks

http://www.bullytools.com/shovels_fire.html
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p...Seedling%20Dibble,%206%94%20Tip&itemnum=69031

I use a 1" brad point drill bit on a cordless drill, this works really good especially if ground conditions are dry.

I use a 1" brad point drill bit on a cordless drill, this works really good especially if ground conditions are dry.

I thought of that also but I usually get the bigger plugs, I've seen the augers bits for planting bulbs and wondered about those also.

I bought the special tool from the Itasca Greenhouse. As long as I pushed it far enough into the earth it worked well. Still lots of bending.

I purchased a 1-1/2" auger bit that will be used to plant styro 6 trees, will know for sure how it works this spring.

I ordered styro 6 trees as well and have been trying to find the right tool for the job.

How do I get one of those Bluecollar? :)

I stole the measurements off of some companies tool for bare roots. I just got a measurement for the 4a plugs and had a buddy weld something up. Worked great.
It obviously doesn't remove any dirt from the the hole but trust me my success rate with it so far it fantastic. I did about 600 plugs around May 5 last year.

Looks solid, I like the Louisville slugger

The Louisville was gift when I was like 8. Not getting any use anymore so we put it to use. I was the plugger and that bat is slippery so I got a serious case of cramped hand/arthritis after while. We had a T handle in the works to make it easier to remove from the hole or twist it loose.
I have this thing sitting in the garage I can measure it up if you want so anyone can make something similar.

Yes measure it up please.

I will. Maybe I can hold it up to one of those 1 inch block targets to show the general size. Otherwise I will just measure and describe the sections. The only real important part is what goes underground. The T handle to step on is not crucial. "Just the tip"

The Louisville was gift when I was like 8. Not getting any use anymore so we put it to use. I was the plugger and that bat is slippery so I got a serious case of cramped hand/arthritis after while. We had a T handle in the works to make it easier to remove from the hole or twist it loose.
I have this thing sitting in the garage I can measure it up if you want so anyone can make something similar.

I like the looks of your planter point. One of those split shovel handles from your ag-store would work pretty well IMO. They must be about 3.5' long, quite sturdy, and have a good grip to twist and pull.

The two pictures above are options for a planting tool. I don't have a picture of the final product. I used an old D handled shovel handle and attached it to the first picture. It worked like a champ.

Last edited:
Here is my new habitat hook. Good to know a good welder. I don't chew that's just for size. Measurements on the plug tool comimg soon...

Here is my new habitat hook. Good to know a good welder. I don't chew that's just for size. Measurements on the plug tool comimg soon...
Great looking hook, yea it's nice to have friends that can do this kind of stuff.