Planting Oats

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
Looking for a better method to planting oats. I tilled, spread seed and then ran a spike tooth drag over the top. In the end most of the seed was still on top of the ground. Trying to do a mixture of rye and oats, the rye will take off with enough rain but the oats seem like they need to be buried. Has anyone found a simple way to get more of the seed covered up?

If the ground is dry I drop the tiller down but don't engage the pto and drive quick covers the seed pretty well

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you have an old drag disk, set it so it runs straight and does not dig at all. Run over broadcast seed at a fairly fast clip, you'll cover at least 90% of the seed. If you have a cultipacker then cultipack.

Looking for a better method to planting oats. I tilled, spread seed and then ran a spike tooth drag over the top. In the end most of the seed was still on top of the ground. Trying to do a mixture of rye and oats, the rye will take off with enough rain but the oats seem like they need to be buried. Has anyone found a simple way to get more of the seed covered up?

Even if you cultipacked ... it is all about soil, heat, & moisture ... the fact you left the oats up top, requires a heavy rain to bury seed to create soil contact.

I did what you did, but disked lightly after planting ... had oat sprouts 5-6 days later, not 4-5 weeks and I have seed pods. Even in sandy, loamy soil results will happen ...

You just need rain. Last year I seeded oats on top of tilled ground then raked by hand (maybe 1/4 acre). It started raining shortly before I was finished and it grew great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mixed rye and oats this week. Just top spread. It rained hard and both are sprouting. I've got all green sprouts and red bottomed sprouts so I know both are coming in.

Well we have gotten a couple of good rains now and checked the plots last night. Some of the oats that are on top are starting to grow. I will try the advise given next year, I just think that in years with less than perfect rain it is going to be better to get them covered up as best I can. Thanks.