Planting dates

djw195

A good 3 year old buck
How close do you generally stick to recommended planting dates?

I'll be planting a grain mixture of peas, oats, radish, sunflower, and rye this yr. In my area of sw wi 5a, most recommendations are for early to mid August. However, especially after last year, I'm hesitant to plant anything in August. I thought about planting peas, sunflowers, radish, and oats mid July then overseeding rye mid September, will this lead to problems by planting about 2 weeks too early?

I read a great dbl tree post on peas, seems like his recommendation is later than earlier. But as stated, August makes me nervous for rain. I thought maybe sticking to august and harrowing seed in, but will that be enough to make sure there's some actual growth? Any way that other people win the game against long bouts of low moisture?

Thanks

assuming your using the sunflowers as “candy” that mix should be planted the last week of August or first week of sept. I plant something similar, oats, rye, peas. It does best with the later planting. I find deer really like the grains, when they are shorter but don’t exactly kill them until half way through oct into November. At the late August early sept date, everything should only get about 12 inches tall. I have done early plantings of that mix like you described and from my experience, things get way too big and the deer aren’t as attracted to it. I’m in central Wisconsin by the way.

assuming your using the sunflowers as “candy” that mix should be planted the last week of August or first week of sept. I plant something similar, oats, rye, peas. It does best with the later planting. I find deer really like the grains, when they are shorter but don’t exactly kill them until half way through oct into November. At the late August early sept date, everything should only get about 12 inches tall. I have done early plantings of that mix like you described and from my experience, things get way too big and the deer aren’t as attracted to it. I’m in central Wisconsin by the way.

Thanks, that's very helpful especially from a wisconsinite.

Yes, sunflowers are there for diversity and I don't expect much growth from them, although I've never planted them before.

Any other tips or tricks for fall planting? I think the harrow drag will be a key component. I think getting the seed into the ground about an inch can help with germination.

I planted brassicas mid July one year and red turnip beetles destroyed them, but when I wait til mid August the beetle lifecycle is over. I use throw and mow, so no help on the harrow.

So I only have atv equipment so I do a little disking first, then spread the seed down. Then drag. Just get the seed covered and don’t worry about depth too much. Rye and radishes can grow just broadcasting on top of the ground if absolutely needed. Peas and oats should atleast be covered otherwise it just sits to high on top of the soil for the roots to take a hold, So I recommend that they get covered. Throw and mow could be different though.

I agree with Peplin, I usually plant my LC/DBLtree cereal grain mix the first of Sept.

Cool thanks guys.

I didn't mention that this will be throw and mow/roll into existing rye from last fall. I plan to broadcast into it then probably run it over or drag it down, not sure yet. Any tips here?

My only equipment is an atv, drag, rakes, hand spreader.

I will probably drag peas and oats then broadcast radish and rye on top mid to late August. Although I might wait on the rye until mid September.

I've used the tires on my quad to roll/pack before and it work good just lots of trips back and forth.

djw195,

I am planting the exact same mix in one plot this year. My plan is to plant the peas and sunflowers around the 20th of August followed by oats Labor Day weekend and Rye about two weeks after that. I use tillage equipment with this mix and timing will be weather dependent. The last time I planted this mix I planted early August everything "would have been" to mature. The neighbors cattle got out and mowed it to the ground.

I'm in Winona County

djw195,

I am planting the exact same mix in one plot this year. My plan is to plant the peas and sunflowers around the 20th of August followed by oats Labor Day weekend and Rye about two weeks after that. I use tillage equipment with this mix and timing will be weather dependent. The last time I planted this mix I planted early August everything "would have been" to mature. The neighbors cattle got out and mowed it to the ground.

I'm in Winona County

Cattle got onto mt food plot last yr... it's just the worst!

That's great info and I really appreciate the input. I'll probably time it out around rain mid to late August.... just praying that rain actually happens. Not sure if your area is like mine but August is either great or terrible for rain... makes plotting tough.

I want my oats in with the peas as a nurse crop, so I'll put in oats, peas and sunflowers mid to late August, followed up with rye in Sept. I'm kind of banking that the deer will keep the oats back, and if they don't no big deal.

I like the plan. Deer LOVE sunflowers, so the earlier the better for those. They'll nail the new emerging heads like nobody's business. I haven't had luck with peas without tillage. Rye definitely needs to go in later as if it gets too tall it's very unpalatable or at least less attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the plan. Deer LOVE sunflowers, so the earlier the better for those. They'll nail the new emerging heads like nobody's business. I haven't had luck with peas without tillage. Rye definitely needs to go in later as if it gets too tall it's very unpalatable or at least less attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never planted sunflowers so it will be interesting to see what happens. This will be my staple grain mix, although I'll be looking to add more diversity to it as time progresses.

Yes, rye grows very fast and if I plant it too early I don't think the deer will keep it down... when there's less food toward the middle of fall it's fine but too early and it will way too mature.