Pickling!

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Now that my habitat work is done for the year (until post season timber work that is), I got back in the kitchen to try my hand at some new things over the stove. I picked up a half dozen packets of Mrs Wages spicy pickle mix. I read it over, seemed pretty simple. So last night I whipped up 7 quarts of spicy pickled carrots.

Today I hit the kitchen supply store in town and found some gallon food safe containers with lids. So I picked up a couple dozen eggs, garlic, and fresh garden onions. The packet says you only have to wait 24 hours. At 10pm tonight this guy's gonna crack a beer and try his carrots. I'm going to let the eggs go till about Wednesday night before I try them.

Now that my habitat work is done for the year (until post season timber work that is), I got back in the kitchen to try my hand at some new things over the stove. I picked up a half dozen packets of Mrs Wages spicy pickle mix. I read it over, seemed pretty simple. So last night I whipped up 7 quarts of spicy pickled carrots.

Today I hit the kitchen supply store in town and found some gallon food safe containers with lids. So I picked up a couple dozen eggs, garlic, and fresh garden onions. The packet says you only have to wait 24 hours. At 10pm tonight this guy's gonna crack a beer and try his carrots. I'm going to let the eggs go till about Wednesday night before I try them.

Bring some of the carrots and the eggs to Little Falls on Tuesday evening. Love to see you at the pow wow. If you live in the cities you can carpool from Monticello or roll in with the fog from Brainerd?

I made 4 pints of baby koshers pickles and 4 qts of the spicy mrs wages pickles too.

I likey.

Plan is this weekend to pile up hammer handles and make another gallon of pickled pike.

I need to get another batch of buffalo pickled eggs. Just polished those off.

God i love food. :)

Oh and u must try smoking some deviled eggs. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Dont forget spicy pickled green beans..... or jalapeno/banana peppers pickled for sandwich toppers.... and.... and.....

Boiled eggs in pickled beets.

It's addictive isn't it?! After I canned venison the first time, I was sold. Haven't seen a deer on stand in two years though. May break down and get some tougher/cheaper cuts of beef to satisfy my canning/protein needs.
Bring some of the carrots and the eggs to Little Falls on Tuesday evening. Love to see you at the pow wow. If you live in the cities you can carpool from Monticello or roll in with the fog from Brainerd?
I would love to come, but I have to be in Bismarck until Wednesday morning. What's going on in Little Falls? My working world shack is in Southeast SD. I'm even below the MN border, so even if I was free, it'd be a long haul for this guy.

It's addictive isn't it?! After I canned venison the first time, I was sold. Haven't seen a deer on stand in two years though. May break down and get some tougher/cheaper cuts of beef to satisfy my canning/protein needs.

I would love to come, but I have to be in Bismarck until Wednesday morning. What's going on in Little Falls? My working world shack is in Southeast SD. I'm even below the MN border, so even if I was free, it'd be a long haul for this guy.

I sincerely appreciate your input and activity. Wish you lived closer.

I used this stuff on 22 quarts of pickles last year and I've never had pickles so crunchy. I added peppers and horseradish and they were awesome. I've tried Mrs. Wages before to but this stuff was better IMO.

I'm always looking for a good and simple recipe recommendation. I picked up the spicy pickle mix because I gave up trying to formulate my own from scratch. I just don't want to risk all the time and ingredients and miss by a mile.

I also add fresh dill and garlic cloves and make sure to pack the pickles very tight. The pickles were somewhat firm when opened but they get very crunchy after being in the fridge.

I've been pickling too. 30 quarts of dill pickles done already. 29 pints of bread n butter pickles last Monday. 10 quarts of dilly beans. 10 quarts of aspargus in June. Next week is salsa canning time:)

Pickled fish on a saltine cracker with a shot of Louisiana Hot Sauce is hard to beat.

Mine turned out pretty good for a first try. They were more hot and vinegar"y" than pickle, but still good. I think some fresh dill and garlic mixed in would've rounded out that flavor punch. Nonetheless, I'm taking a jar to Grandma's birthday party tomorrow.

Mmmmm...all this pickling talk is making my mouth water. I might have to dig out my pickled egg recipe and get a batch going. A pickled egg smothered with horseradish....yum. Last time I made those I was accused of stinking up the house.:D

Mine turned out pretty good for a first try. They were more hot and vinegar"y" than pickle, but still good. I think some fresh dill and garlic mixed in would've rounded out that flavor punch. Nonetheless, I'm taking a jar to Grandma's birthday party tomorrow.
Update: I took them yesterday. I punched out my post and forgot to hit enter. They were a hit. People came back for more without goading or me hovering over them waiting for feedback, even though I desperately wanted to.