Pear tree grafting

scott44

5 year old buck +
I am a total novice when it come to fruit trees so I have some quetions. Some back ground first my nieghbor is in his 80's and has lived here his whole life, their original homestead was 80 acres and when his parents died he got 40 and his sister got 40 and I have his sister's 40. My 40 had the house and barn and somewhere in the mid 1930's their house burned down and there was a pear tree next to it, when they rebuilt they relocated the house farther east but the pear tree survived but never has grown anything edible to humans but the deer love them. Every year my pear tree is loaded with tons of silver dollar size pears that I have to rake up and was wondering if I could graft and start some new ones? If so what is the best root stock? I'm sure I'll have more quetions, here's some pics of earlier the fall.

Pic of the overall tree in our yard

This is what I mean by loaded every year

The size of the pears.

Thanks

Interesting pear. Most of the wild/wildlife pears tend to produce fruit that takes on more of a round growth form and dont have the neck portion, "bartlett" shape. I am not familar with any varieties that have that shape and size. Yours could very well just be a seedling pear of a non grafted variety. It can still be grafted though to carry on the that trees genetics. Most of the old home x famingdale rootstocks tend to be fireblight resistant and are advertised to having varying degrees of dwarfing influence. Otherwise the Quince rootstocks are your other option. Good luck looks like a tree worth grafting!

Interesting pear. Most of the wild/wildlife pears tend to produce fruit that takes on more of a round growth form and dont have the neck portion, "bartlett" shape. I am not familar with any varieties that have that shape and size. Yours could very well just be a seedling pear of a non grafted variety. It can still be grafted though to carry on the that trees genetics. Most of the old home x famingdale rootstocks tend to be fireblight resistant and are advertised to having varying degrees of dwarfing influence. Otherwise the Quince rootstocks are your other option. Good luck looks like a tree worth grafting!

thanks! What is the best place to buy these root stocks?

Cummins Nursery probably has them still. If they dont or they have a hefty convenience fee for small orders shoot me a PM.

Cummins Nursery probably has them still. If they dont or they have a hefty convenience fee for small orders shoot me a PM.

Thanks! will do

Those would probably make good pear cider (perry).

Very cool tree and story to your place. Wish I knew some of the history about the old farm house on my place. Not sure how I could look into this