Pear issue: what is this?

Knehrke

5 year old buck +
I have 18 pear seedlings from a tree that drops into December, with the hope that the progeny are also late dropping. Unfortunately, the bottom-most leaves are turning black and the newly emerged leaves are curling. Two different issues? One related issue? I'm open to ideas. FYI, they are in Promix BX/mini pine bark nuggets with Osmocote added at transplant from RM18 to 1 gallon, I am watering with rain water, and I use pot weight to make sure I don't water too frequently. They're also on the edge of the porch, not in direct sun.

pear.JPG

Anyone?

At first glance I would say over watering. Something is going on with roots.

How much fertilizer are you using? Could be too much nitrogen as I have had experience with it turning the ends of leaves black when too much is applied.

The fertilizer is slow release Osmocote, half a scoop per 1 gallon pot, mixed at transplant. Over-watering is a possibility, although I usually try to water by weight and I let them dry out between applications. I can deal with over-watering. I'm not a fruit guy though, and I was worried that it's one of seemingly endless diseases (ie., seedling leaves turn black zombie plant apocalypse disease) that fruit trees are susceptible to. So, this thread is really a public service, trying to avoid a XPA (xombie pear apocalypse...all the cool names use X now...check out the pharmaceutical ads on the evening news). Okay, morning irreverence over.