Ozonics ?

Deer Kar

5 year old buck +
Has any one tried Ozonics scent eliminator? Or Heard any thing one way or the other. I'm curios about them but have not talked to any one that has tried it themselves. I try to really control my scent and always looking for an edge when it comes to fooling deer.

Bullet proof in a ground blind if it's above your head. Bullet proof. Output heavier than air. Tree stand not so much luck.

I got one for a deal and bought 2 more when they went on clearance at Scheels. Afraid they would be impossible to find.

They work in a ground blind. All the time.

I would have to say a fully enclosed ground blind will keep your scent contained 80-90% of the time anyway

I bought one when they were offering the money back guarantee. Here is my short product review: I got my money back.

So my understanding is that the ozone that is created by these machines eliminate the scent somehow on the molecular level. My questions is the deer may not smell you, but wouldn't the lack of any smell put them on guard? Maybe I'm giving the deer too much credit but wouldn't they know something wasn't normal?

I bought one when they were offering the money back guarantee. Here is my short product review: I got my money back.

Were you in a tree or a blind? Tree stand results sucked. Ground blind results were unreal.

A labadoodle can sniff a bag of dope thru the sidewall of a semi tire idling at the TJ border with the air filled with tamales, and 100 degree heat stench of a 3rd world border and this magic machine will fool a whitetail on his turf? Hand Your buddy 1/2 the cost and thank him for kicking your junk for being a tool. I put this product with the $30 balance wristband with the 3 cent piece of kyrptonite in it as total rip offs.

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

I'm not sure if they still sponsor D&DH's TV show or not, but they did a couple years ago and they gave me two to use for free.

First, from tree stands, all their pro staffers will tell you off the record that you need to use 2, one on both sides of the tree, to account for wind shifts. So, that's what I did.

I tried them about 10 times. 9 of the times I did everything I'd normally do for hunting. once I didn't.

Now, I tend not to write about this much anymore, anywhere, as too many don't believe me and too few that do will go to the extents I do/believe one has to for it to be effective, but I don't get winded and I don't hesitate to hunt the "wrong" wind, if I believe that's the spot that offers the best odds for a kill on a given day. If I have 2 stands I believe offer equal odds on a given day and one works better with the wind I'll hunt that one. still, somewhere around 30% of the stands I hunt during a season have a "bad" wind during that sit.

I guess what I'm saying is that I never got winded using Ozonics, but I don't believe I would have gotten "winded" without using them.

I can tell you that a % of deer smelled it and didn't care for the smell. O3 gives off a distinct odor. Deer just don't realize they aren't supposed to like it. It does make some uncomfortable, though. None of them ran, snorting. Instead, they were coming straight in, picked it up, tested the air a couple times, turned around and left. No doubt it my mind that they smelled it and didn't care for the smell.

About half or a bit more of the others that obviously smelled it didn't care.

I stopped using them from stands after that year (had the same results in blinds). Now I just use them to deodorize stinky hunting equipment.

I bet you don't own a Hecs electro magnetic suit either? hahaha!

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....that company sent me one of those, too (assuming that's the company that makes the "predator aura" blocking clothing). I can honestly say that was a couple years ago and I have yet to try it. I just can't bring myself to even try it....Playing devil's advocate for a second, here. Let's say it works flawlessly. How in the world would you ever know?! I can't think of a single time I believe a deer has "sensed" me. They must not take me seriously enough to view me as a threat.

Were you in a tree or a blind? Tree stand results sucked. Ground blind results were unreal.

Tree stand use only.

(a little off topic)

I see people mention all the time about boxes and blinds containing their scent. How is that even remotely possible? Neither are sealed up. Neither are air-tight. I think people get a false sense of scent security when they hunt from enclosures. Unless you are vacuum sealed in a giant bag, your scent is dispersing downwind!

A labadoodle can sniff a bag of dope thru the sidewall of a semi tire idling at the TJ border with the air filled with tamales, and 100 degree heat stench of a 3rd world border and this magic machine will fool a whitetail on his turf? Hand Your buddy 1/2 the cost and thank him for kicking your junk for being a tool. I put this product with the $30 balance wristband with the 3 cent piece of kyrptonite in it as total rip offs.

I have multiple shadowhunters with the smoked plexiglass sliding windows. The deer cannot see movement thru the smoked glass, I have waved at them from 5 yards, I have never been scented either. Heater going, 2 guys with lunches out on the card table, wearing long underwear. There are a few small vent holes but it's a non issue.

As I wrote, I haven't use Ozonics for the last 2 seasons and did a handful of hunts that one year I did. So, I don't have any skin in this game at all. still, reread your two posts a couple times and see if they mesh.

I'm interjecting way more into this than you said and now getting off topic, but I've never believed that comparing dogs and deer was a fair comparison, on all sorts of levels.

No offense in this intended, and hope none taken btw.

Could one factor be that some people stink more than others or that they just do not go through the extensive pre-hunt descenting prep that others do?

IMO, I think both occur, Art. I know I have a friend that I've hunted with many times. He's had me review what he does for odor control more than once and he gets winded regularly. I can't find anything that he's doing "wrong."

Then, I've seen others complain about how they got busted and you just can't beat a deer's nose, period, but they were frying bacon and eggs, while drinking coffee in their hunting clothes before heading to the woods.

As a side note, I drink way too much coffee while writing. I never drink it before I head to the woods, and rarely do within 24 hours of hunting, period. You just can't get that smell out of your throat. I don't stop eating red meat or anything like that, but I do avoid onions, garlic and any foods that give off a real strong odor.

Personally, I don't think there's a product out there that's a cure all. Personally, if I don't do everything in my power to treat every item I'll be bringing in the deer woods, I'm going to get busted.

At the same time, I'm under no delusions that you can stop human odor production. I think it's more like Nov's experience with the shadow hunters. You can make it so not enough odor gets to the deer that it alarms them. Is it that they think you're a mile away or were here 3 hours ago or that it diffuses to the point that they can't smell it? I don't know which, but I suspect it's one of those 3.

Jumping off topic, as mentioned, I think there are a lot of reasons why using dogs to try to disprove if odor control works is flawed. One of the biggest is that dogs are trained to react to even the slightest trace of the scent they're search for. Deer aren't. In most areas, if deer flipped out every time they picked up a hint of human, yote, wolf, bear, big cat, dog or any other predator's odor, they'd spend large portions of each day running scared. I believe they more or less expect to pick up some traces of predator odor, particularly in certain areas (fields, for example. Between the farmer and predator activities there, there's some trace of "alarming" odors there more often than not). I believe it's the level and/or perceived "freshness" of the odor that turns deer inside out, where as a dog will zero in on the freshest trace they can smell. Obviously, I can't swear that's the case for deer anymore than I can answer which one of the 3 potential reasons I gave above is why deer after deer seemingly downwind isn't busting me is the case, but it makes sense to me, at least. Frankly, it doesn't really matter which one it is, as long as they aren't turning on a dime and going on a death running away from me