Outdoor Wood Stove???

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
considering an outdoor wood stove on a new home build. Anyone use one?
What brand if so?
How you like it?
Anyone with experience Please give me any feed back you may have with them

Tks much in advance

All I know is they are very common out in the sticks up here. But they have been expanding natural gas lines in the area and I expect that to take over in the future. Everybody I know with an outdoor stove busts their butts cutting and splitting wood for several months during the year. I question after all the equipment maintenance, fuel, and other costs, not to mention all the hard working hours, how much if anything are they saving?

Honestly down in MO on a new build I wouldn't get an outdoor stove. If you want something check out the indoor fireplace inserts. Even in the cold north much of the heat from the outdoor stoves is either lost or let out of the house through a cracked window as sometimes they just put out more heat than is needed.

I almost put one in about 15 years ago but didn't. We ended up putting in a freestanding pellet stove. I had a friend that owned a heating business and he talked me out of it. He said with the upfront cost/operating cost wasn't worth it. Time, chainsaws, gas/bar and chain oil, chain sharpening, hauling/handling wood so it's near your woodburner. Then, when you get up in the morning, you have to go outside when it is cold as hell to load the thing up. A friend of mine just sold his outdoor woodburner few years ago and put an add on pellet burner in the basement and loves it. He said the outdoor woodburner was a wood eating monster and he got tired of keeping up with having wood cut for it and going out to fill it up when it was cold as hell.

Maybe if you were heating an outdoor structure along with your house, an outdoor woodburner might be something to consider?

Last edited:
Some people have more time than money. Cutting wood makes sense for them.

I burn wood exclusively, but I have a boiler in my basement. I love it. If I ever built new or bought a house without wood heat, I would put in a outside burner. They do suck a lot more wood than an indoor burner.
If u want more a burner inside, and building new, build a shoot to throw wood in from garage-basement.
Also-have stairs going directly from garage down into basement. What's even smarter is to have your basement extend under your garage. You are pouring the concrete already, all you need to pay for is extra support in the concrete, and extra block. That will get you an extra 1000 square feet of basement for little extra $. Stairs going directly into basement are priceless!

See I love being outside during winter on my property. Dropping trees, pulling them with my tractor, is just fun.
It takes effort and sacrifice to exercise too, and it isn't for most, but that shows in this country.
You don't see many self sufficient people with heart disease, obesity and diabetes. It's a mentality and work is a great way to stay healthy and improve overall quality of life.
I don't physically work for a living, and exercise. Doing firewood kills a couple of birds with one stone for me.

Check with insurance first. I just built a new home and was considering an outdoor woodburner but it would have raised our rates higher than an indoor woodburner. It made our choice easy as it was cost prohibitive to go with the outdoor. Spent more money on insulation instead.

Check with insurance first. I just built a new home and was considering an outdoor woodburner but it would have raised our rates higher than an indoor woodburner. It made our choice easy as it was cost prohibitive to go with the outdoor. Spent more money on insulation instead.

That's crazy. Guess their worries about brush fires burning the neighbors down?

I know little very about them, but my concern has always been what happens during an extended power outage when you don't have electric for heat transfer.

This one claims to have overcome that problem. I don't know:

http://www.charmaster.com/faq.html

That's crazy. Guess their worries about brush fires burning the neighbors down?
Exactly how our agent explained it when I told him that was crazy. Said that people don't keep the yard around them short and then stuff them full of wood and walk away on a cold/windy winter day. Said their claims went way up once these became more common locally due to catching the yard on fire and it blowing to the house.

I know little very about them, but my concern has always been what happens during an extended power outage when you don't have electric for heat transfer.

This one claims to have overcome that problem. I don't know:

http://www.charmaster.com/faq.html
We heat 100 percent outside stove and have for 15 plus years , no other furnace in the house we get that all the time people look at you and ask what do you have for back up and always ask right back what do you have for back up , almost 100 percent don't have a backup heat source either so I sometimes wonder where the question comes from Their heat source will not run without elec either. we do have a generator on site but have never used it for winter to date so we may be a little more protected than most . Physics wont change im positive wood will burn tomorrow , we have all our wood on site hauling is easy enough acres that we never cut live trees in fact trees die faster than we burn them here and have an excess . We went with a heatmor stainless life time warranty , circulation pumps every 5 years or so and keep a spare here , blower fan last year bad bearing ordered one when it was making noise and swaped it out . Shure don't miss heat bills
We heat our domestic water also no water heater cost all winter either

The one that is really catching my eye is the central boilers new Classic edge high efficiency outdoor stove. Watch the video serious on this stove. They claim less wood consumption and more complete combustion. Gonna go to a local installers home and check one out soon I think

When we installed we spent better than $6,000 don't regret it one bit , of coarse cost today would be much higher . Go to northern Minnesota outside boilers out number conventional in some areas , we cant all be wrong . Yes it is work but so is generating cash to fuel other systems.

When we installed we spent better than $6,000 don't regret it one bit , of coarse cost today would be much higher . Go to northern Minnesota outside boilers out number conventional in some areas , we cant all be wrong . Yes it is work "(but so is generating cash to fuel other systems.)

That's the way I see it too
Plus teach my 3 boys some work ethic!

My backup heat is a small wood stove in my basement. It doesn't need a fan or electricity for anything. You can also cook on it.

Exactly what we have. Plus I had the power company install a switch at the pole for the generator.

I have a hawken woodstove, have had outdoor burner since 2010.

Plus I had the power company install a switch at the pole for the generator.

That's the right and safe way to do it. It protects the line workers and protects your equipment as well.

I've seen some done the wrong way, and when an out of phase home generator pits itself against the grid, the grid always wins.:D

I have a hawken woodstove, have had outdoor burner since 2010.
Would you do it again? Any advise or anything you would do different? What kind of furnace and hot water heater do you have . You heat your water with it too?

Would you do it again? Any advise or anything you would do different? What kind of furnace and hot water heater do you have . You heat your water with it too?

I hear my water with it too. Wife loves it when the woodstove is goin, water is much hotter. My house was built in '05 so it doesnt lose much heat with blown in insulation.

This is my setup....
9b5f476002b08357a0641f43faeed4ca.jpg
74a157a3aebf02266619c6b7856d7d63.jpg

I go threw about 5-6 full cord depending how cold and how long its really cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk