Old gun safe gave up the ghost

b116757

5 year old buck +
I have an old Remington gun safe I’ve had for 25 years or so. I think my youngest boy has been hanging from the handle like a monkey idk the handle spins freely and the dial will not spin at all at this point my middle boy said it was like that today when he was trying to get into it for something. I think tomorrow weather permitting I’ll wheel it out onto the back patio and cut into the door to release the dead bolts with a grinder unless anyone has a better idea.

My safe has a clutch built into the handle. I imagine it would work like you're describing. I think I'd have a locksmith look at it before I'd grind it open, it might be repairable.

See if you can find a safe guy. There is definitely a shear bolt type thing on all safes. It's so someone can't leverage the handle to open the safe.

Happy days the dial worked fine but the handle would free spin. Ran the combination like normal tilted the safe to the hinge side and the weight of the dead bolt assembly released it from the locked position. $3 in parts latter all is well. All my gun safes are three or five handle models so I removed all but one handle from each safe so my 10 year old monkey doesn’t break any more shear pins.

Glad you saved the safe and didn't grind it open.

Happy days the dial worked fine but the handle would free spin. Ran the combination like normal tilted the safe to the hinge side and the weight of the dead bolt assembly released it from the locked position. $3 in parts latter all is well. All my gun safes are three or five handle models so I removed all but one handle from each safe so my 10 year old monkey doesn’t break any more shear pins.

Thanks for the hot tip on keeping monkeys from breaking our safes!