Ohio Farm Tours

Crimping plots -

If there was ever a time I ask you to follow someone, it’s now. This young man emailed me and asked if I would do his podcast. George is a 16 year old, young man with a passion for wildlife and apparently soils! I don’t know what I was doing at 16 (ok maybe I do) but it wasn’t recording podcasts and stepping out of my comfort zone.

We as hunters, and conservationist must continue to support and inspire the next generation. After speaking with this young man for about an hour, I’d say the future is in good hands.

Link-

@venturesofland @gatewell1707

Reactions: cbw

I’d say the double cropping cover crops (throw and mow) before the tomatoes 🍅 was a major success. In just a few short weeks the NitroBoost has produced great tonnage and fixed N. I am certain both my soil and tomatoes will love this in another week or two.

The same idea works for foodplots. Tonnage, N fixation, biomass = results!IMG_7054.jpegIMG_7053.jpegIMG_7052.jpegIMG_7055.jpeg

Crimper update day 8

Deer feeding regularly
Plot is still laid over and again about 60-70% seems totally terminated.

I am impressed!! I look forward to continue to monitor this and crimping the NitroBoost in a few months.

IMG_7072.jpeg

I had some trees arrive and didn’t have the time to plant them yet. So I decided to pot them until I have more time.

Every time I plant a tree, I use Spectrum+Myco - helping to inoculate the tree roots.

I have also used this product as a seed coating, especially on new fields. I want to help kick start the biology as quickly as possible!!
IMG_7024.jpeg

Thanks to my buddy @legendary_habitat for having me on his great podcast. So much fun catching up and talking soils.

Little foliar feed for the tomatoes tonight. They’ll be going in soon!’

IMG_7090.jpeg

We love our wildlife foodplots but we also love timber management. The culmination of highly diverse food-plots and timber stand work - has absolutely resulted in better recruitment for the species we love.

IMG_7103.jpeg

Recently finished this book, and wow was it in depth. From the botany to the organic chemistry - this is not for the faint of heart. All in all- I found the book to be very interesting, specifically around organic nutrient options and actual quantifiable metrics that go along with such.

Always more to learn!

IMG_7113.jpeg

Crimping and chicory

I’ve been happy with the results of crimping the carbon load and mowing it (in another test) so far. The chicory response has been incredible. It has jumped from the ground and deer continue to feed on it - acting like a nurse crop for the emerging NitroBoost. This is providing top quality food for bucks and many new fawns and lactating does.

Habitat 365!!
IMG_7114.jpeg

IMG_7117.jpegIMG_7118.jpegIMG_7119.jpegIMG_7120.jpegMowing covers
Leaving living walking paths
Weed mats where tomato’s will go
Constant photosynthesis all year

From deer plot to gardens - the same principles can be followed. Adjust to your goals and see the soil health flourish!!

New podcast
New products
All fun!!

I'm liking that new clover mix, Al! If you don't mind me asking how much chicory is in the mix? And can you elaborate more on aberlasting clover? Have never tried that kind in my sandy soil.

I'm liking that new clover mix, Al! If you don't mind me asking how much chicory is in the mix? And can you elaborate more on aberlasting clover? Have never tried that kind in my sandy soil.
Thanks buddy! Aberlasting is actually a hybrid (I believe between two white clovers) it’s known for drought resistance, strong root system, etc.

I believe we got about a half pound of chicory in mix - we also have chicory in our CL.

Just shy of 100 tomatoes!

Passed down from my wife’s grandpa from Italy over the last 75 years.

Between weed mat is living rows to help with soil micorbes, water infiltration and compaction issues.

If it wasn’t for my love of growing things - I think I’d go insane!!

IMG_7140.jpeg

Last edited: