Ohio Farm Tours

You know Al, you got me on that! I guess a lot of us food plotters are "brainwashed" to do a soil test and ammend soil to there recommendation. Everytime I get a soil test they always tell me my potassium is very low and I go out there and spread potash without even thinking about it. I appreciate you asking that. It's definitely making me think! Your always a big help and always answer any question I have, even though I haven't even purchased anything from Vitalize yet. I will send you a dm tonight.
That’s ok man!! Lot of options out there and I love helping folks or trying! Thanks buddy!

Let's hear it!
You don't want soluble nutrients, because as you have discovered, you can't hold onto them. In sand, you want to hold your nutrients in crop residue that decomposes at different rates. The best potassium fertilizer out there is a heavy high carbon crop residue like rye or sorghum. First blast of rain will wash out a big chunk of K from that residue after it's dead, but it will still hold a bunch, and release it as it decomposes.

Focus on covering your sand with vegetation first. If it's not working now, put it into sorghum now, or write it off until it gets cooler in the fall, and then flip it to rye, a clover, chicory, plantain, and ragweed. Let that rye go all the way until it's done the following year, and then roll it down if you can. Keep the big duff, and that sand will perform for you.

You don't want soluble nutrients, because as you have discovered, you can't hold onto them. In sand, you want to hold your nutrients in crop residue that decomposes at different rates. The best potassium fertilizer out there is a heavy high carbon crop residue like rye or sorghum. First blast of rain will wash out a big chunk of K from that residue after it's dead, but it will still hold a bunch, and release it as it decomposes.

Focus on covering your sand with vegetation first. If it's not working now, put it into sorghum now, or write it off until it gets cooler in the fall, and then flip it to rye, a clover, chicory, plantain, and ragweed. Let that rye go all the way until it's done the following year, and then roll it down if you can. Keep the big duff, and that sand will perform for you.
That's pretty much what I have been doing the past couple of years. But I was also adding 90# of k and 50# of N with my fall blend. Which Im not to sure I was seeing much benefit from. Funny that you mentioned sorghum... I got some early longtail milo for free from pheasants forever. Plan on seeding that with some oats,crimson clover, and hairy vetch next weekend. I had 3ft rye and red clover growing in it last weekend but had to spray it with gly. Chickweed has been trying to take over the past year or two. So I wanted to hit it early and it's looking like I got it good. Plan on seeding into it and then cultipacking it.

Good advice.

That’s why we have both sorghum and Sudan and barley in our NB. Then recommend following with the carbon load - heavy grains like rye, ww, triticale, etc.

We’ve had some plant our NB and because they are so focused on soil coverage - they’ll simply broadcast the CL into it and leave it stand. I prefer to roll it.

I’ve done a few videos on this and couldn’t agree more with the best way to cycle those hard to access nutrients - that often show up low on a soil test (p and k) are through crop residue. Let the arthropods (worms and such) move the crops for ya!!

Thanks for the comments here guys!!

I’ll be planting come Friday!!!

I'm going to not fertlize my summer planting and see how it turns out. You guys are starting to win me over a little lol I was checking out my clover strips along my apple trees this weekend. They looked awesome and haven't had any fertlizer since 2022! I do broadcast rye and radish into it every fall to help add some more diversity. Im honestly sick of spreading fertlizer it's so corrosive and expensive... I was always told you need to fertlize to help get maximum tonnage. Trying to get that out of my head lol

I'm going to not fertlize my summer planting and see how it turns out. You guys are starting to win me over a little lol I was checking out my clover strips along my apple trees this weekend. They looked awesome and haven't had any fertlizer since 2022! I do broadcast rye and radish into it every fall to help add some more diversity. Im honestly sick of spreading fertlizer it's so corrosive and expensive... I was always told you need to fertlize to help get maximum tonnage. Trying to get that out of my head lol
Keep us in the loop, my friend!

I have a major passion for soils but also for growing a huge garden for my family.

My tomatoes have now been transplanted for their finish period before I put them into the soil and of course give a few away. Always a blast to grow them from seed to seed!

IMG_6966.jpegIMG_6965.jpeg

Zach Haas with another great photo of a different deer enjoying some Carbon Load!

It’s time to plant NitroBoost but leaving some carbon load for fawning cover - isn’t a bad idea! Food and cover, all in one!!

IMG_2800.jpeg

There are a lot of things I love about our company but nothing and I mean nothing rivals how it makes me feel when I get to help someone achieve their goals. There are no overnight fixes. No snake oil.

Just a great product, backed by the very best and most sincere customer service we can offer.

To all of the supporters - sincerely thank you!!
IMG_6984.jpeg

New tool we are using on farm - excited to continue to bring updates on this physical termination method!!

Great weekend planting. About 20 acres planted
- most drilled but a few we broadcasted!

IMG_6997.jpegIMG_6990.jpegIMG_6996.jpegIMG_4987.jpegIMG_4992.jpeg

Crimper update @ day 3 -

I’d say we are 60-70% termination. That is about what I was hoping for with a physical termination method (mowing,crimping, etc). Now I’ll have plenty of the clover to feed deer now as the NitroBoost grows up through this thatch!

Pretty amazing to see how fast the termination is visually apparent when using a crimper or mower.
IMG_7034.jpeg

Reactions: 356

Throw and mow update -

A few weeks ago I mowed off Carbon Load with a push mower. This is for my garden cover crop. Because of my tomatoes needing more time and me wanting to offset some of the compaction issues in the garden - I seeded NitroBoost. This gave me a few weeks of growth and 2x cover crops prior to my garden crop.

As you can see the mowing set back the Carbon Load greatly. It created a great space for the NitroBoost to grow in and this garden is LOADED with diversity!!

I get asked often how to terminate without spraying. There are a lot of ways and none are perfect, but do they have to be?

Get outside and enjoy the outdoors!! Always trying new things and learning as well go - that’s half the fun!

-Al
0AA436F3-C4C1-4DF1-8C02-800D9FDBBBC4.jpeg

Key to fertility is placement!!!

Day 6 crimper update

1. Termination is solid
2. Deer feeding is also consistent - which is very cool as any clover or what not that did survive is low and the deer can access it easily.

We’ve had some well timed rains and some heat - I am expecting the NB to pop out of the ground and really take off here shortly. I’ll continue to bring updates throughout the growing season.

IMG_7048.jpeg