Ohio Farm Tours

Busy time of year with a lot of content. Hope y’all don’t mind! Thanks for following along!

Always keep learning!!

I was so impressed to see the N fixation on this root mass from our Spring cover crop mix - NitroBoost, so deep in the soil profile. Much continued even deeper but wasn’t showing up well in photos.

This is why including deep tap rooted planted like radish - as we do in our Fall Carbon Load, is so critical.

Diversity and balance with a purpose!!

IMG_2206.jpeg

This is a quick video we put together that highlights the simplicity behind the Vitalize Seed 1-2 System

I’ve been blessed to be on a lot of podcasts.

I must say getting the opportunity to speak with the @dirtonflowers girls is way up at the top of my lists. Talking soils with farmers who are focused on yield and profit is absolutely an honor. Thank you @bloomhillfarm and @wildroot_flowerco - can’t wait to talk to you all soon! Get those cover crop plans solidified!!

Update on the light tillage plot

Every field can vary in fertility, browse pressure, size, biological activity and plan. This is why we rely so heavily on soil testing from our friends @wardlabs!

if we stick to the soil health principles to the best of our plan and get a few timely rains - we can grow some amazing wildlife pastures with limited to no inputs. Especially when using the Vitalize Seed 1-2 system.

Lime has been the only input on these fields to help with PH and cation base sat balance for the last 6+ years.

We are maximizing photosynthesis capture and feeding the soil to get ready for fall Carbon Load!!

IMG_2238.jpegIMG_2236.jpegIMG_2239.jpegIMG_2235.jpegIMG_2230.jpeg

A little explanation on base saturations and how I handle nutrients in a low ph environment - where I don’t want to change the PH.

Buddy of mine rocking his NB - can’t wait to see this in the fall mix!!

A few tips I have for soil testing

Mitch is a great guy and a wealth of knowledge! So nice to get to chat with him! Learn more here about planting ratios, mixes and out Carbon Load.

When we started Vitalize Seed we absolutely did not want to go with the flow. We wanted to bring agronomic science, regen Ag and wildlife foodplot strategies all together.

We’ve been fortunate to then get to work with gardeners and farmers - helping them to understand the benefits of cover cropping, biological processes, conventional agronomic practices and how it can all fit together for their goals.

None of this has come easy or without ridicule. However, we continue to keep our nose to the grind stone and work hard for our customers to bring you the best scientific backed products we can think up.

On this table, we are looking at big money in piles of testing including tissue, soil and biological.

Time has been spent on the phone with our partners @wardlabs reviewing data and drawing correlations between data points so we can further be more educated on our products and situations to help all our customers and growers.

As long as Jared and I run this company - we promise to continue always keep learning.
D59E73AB-07C8-4A20-A487-01FEEE329B85.jpeg

We recommend 45lbs to the acre of NitroBoost. The reason is because we want to optimize the ratios of plants and not over or under crowd them. For a summer cover crop this is perfect. However, some folks have high deer densities - in this case they may bump up the seeding rate to mitigate the risk of over browsing. All that being said this right picture was planted at 45-48lbs to the acre, drilled. Here we are a few weeks from planting carbon load and this field is still putting on above and below ground biomass.

Feeding wildlife and soil!!IMG_2285.jpeg
IMG_2277.jpeg

Make biology work for you

Nitrogen 101

Have y’all considered a biological product? I’ve enjoyed this product so far!!

We use the absolute best forage varieties we can source. This small plot of Nitorboost is still feeding wildlife and soil because of this!

Sure some weeds are in here but the deer are absolutely hammering the field (as seen by exclusion fence in background).

We do this in our carbon load as well. We don’t just use tuber prodcution brassicas but also forage varieties. This allows us to maximize production per acre for both soil and wildlife!!

IMG_2372.jpeg