ODNR plans

Garrett S

5 year old buck +
I’m just wondering who has any experience with Ohio Dept of Natural Resource Timber or Wildlife Managment plans?

Have both coming out at the end of January.

Thanks.

I’ve used them for CRP and WRP

How did it go?

The CRP was OK but I didn’t re-up when it came due because I wanted to plant fruit trees in that area.

The WRP worked out well for me, it helped offset the cost of the land and everything the state wanted to do I was going to do anyway. For me it helped finance some wildlife projects and having a biologist on call for support has been great.
There are conditions and rules to signing up similar to CRP or any government land use program. If your mindset is more towards farming don’t sign that part of your property into a program…if your mindset is to benefit wildlife and protecting the land look into it. There are many choices on what types of things you can get assistance with depending on the length of the program you sign up in.

Just make sure you know everything that you are agreeing too, if you don’t like something about it renegotiate or walk away from it.
It’s sure not for everyone but for some like myself it can really work out fine.

I appreciate that insight.

Coming from a state where there is zero support or opportunity it seems great to have this, let alone the cost sharing. I know little about mature woods or valuable timber so there is a huge resource. We have a ton of invasive material (honest suckle and olive) which would be great knock back or remove as best as possible (let alone replace worn something of value).

The biology side of it has me wondering with if he’s a deer guy I am good, if not the plan will reflect his interests. He made some comments related to how foresters work which also will make it interesting to see what portions of their respective plans align or do not.