Oak id please

Another SW oddball, this tree does not have the pealing bark of a regular SW. It has been a steady producer the last few years, acorns are a bit larger than the SW in the same area.20230819_095635_HDR.jpg20230819_095638_HDR.jpg

Regular SW right beside it20230819_095740_HDR.jpg

Teeder, not many acorns, I will be coming back to collect what I can. I took a road trip...this tree is in concordia20230819_142045.jpg20230819_143258_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Tree five is the closest match to the trees I saw in concordia, the leaf im holding is from one of those trees. Looks identical.20230819_162356.jpg20230819_162521.jpg

Looks like a good match!

How “ green “ is an acorn mature?

as in how early can you pick them?

I pick them justbeforethey are falling.

I am looking forward to fall! Going to direct seed acorns from tree one into the valley plot. I have a few swamp chestnut oaks already planted there. It has pretty good moisture, hope they do well there.20230826_081854_HDR.jpg20230826_114902.jpg

I
How “ green “ is an acorn mature?

as in how early can you pick them?
I don’t often pick them from the tree but if they pretty easily come loose from the cap I’d say your good to go. At least that’s how I pick my DCO acorns.

I use 2 indicators ... after the 7th of Sept ... the BTE Index and the FBAS method. The BTE Index or Bushy-Tail-Eater Index says when the squirrels start earting them, they are mature enough to pick/plant. No squirrels you say; back up method FBAS or 1st Brown Acorn Spotted -on the tree - says you are good to go. Pick em green and they will turn brown within a week or less. This is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, BUT it also is true. Good luck ... we're getting close to harvest time.

I gotta pick em now……..

im moving on

heading south, hopefully get some Oregon oak acorns from sutherlin .

Last edited:
I am looking forward to fall! Going to direct seed acorns from tree one into the valley plot. I have a few swamp chestnut oaks already planted there. It has pretty good moisture, hope they do well there.View attachment 56452View attachment 56453
How old are the trees in cages please?

For those trying to ID oaks -
I've read somewhere that oaks are prone to hybridize / cross naturally. Maybe someone on here can expand on that. I can't remember where I read it.

White oaks are notoriously promiscuous, where 2 or more are gathered - among species of white oak - a hybrid may result. It ain't automatic: however, the wind blown pollen necessary for fertilization may travel upwards of a quarter mile under the right circumstances. The dominant older white oak one will likely find in most of the midwest (from MN to most of the upper 2/3s of ILl) is bur oak as a result of the great bur oak savannas of years ago. Currently, street/specimen trees being planted in many communities may be different species of white oak, increasing the chances of hybrid white oaks occurring locally.
Further, as reports on this site indicate, some/many of the specimen/street trees being planted in comnmunities today appeaar to be hybrid white oaks. I suggest folks learn the different varieties and how to identify them ... then you can gather acorns and grow your own.

Perhaps one of the best hybrid white oak trees for habitat ...

Last edited:
Probably the closest I've come to finding a Schuettes and it has no acorns....😟20230806_070317.jpg

What is MDC?