November....

Here's the buck my dad had an encounter with today. This guy stood 30' off the road in a jackpine thicket as my dad took a ton of pictures, never flinched or spooked. My dad kept walking, came back 15 minutes later, he was still there, on point. My dad said the thing was just out of it. My dad walked a little further, boom a doe pops out of the tall grass and he takes off after her.

Hopefully my dad can get some nice high-res pictures of "the big one" this fall.

12184049_10204877938845149_8996912670274009145_o.jpg

Great picture!

Sorry to hear about your buck :(.

Thanks Bueller, i'm not going to dwell on it. It is what it is, it's hunting and today was an awesome day to be in the woods. I also got to know my neighbor a lot better today, he will be getting a few apple trees in spring.

Thanks Bueller, i'm not going to dwell on it. It is what it is, it's hunting and today was an awesome day to be in the woods. I also got to know my neighbor a lot better today, he will be getting a few apple trees in spring.
Heck of a lot better than working 8 hours and living vicariously through you guys today ;)

Cool story with your dad's encounter. I guess he found the reason why he was sticking around. To bad about your story.

Sorry about the buck Ed. One more day of work and vacation time starts tomorrow for 2.5 weeks:cool: I'll be pulling a bunch of 10am to dark sits in the next two weeks.

Sorry to hear about your buck Ed.

Pretty neat picture of the buck!

Bummer Ed. It happens to all of us sooner or later.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear. Good Luck on the next one.

This rain isn't going to help him:(

This rain isn't going to help him:(
Well we are going out tonight with the bloodglow. I bought some in 2012 when Duffy was talking about it on the other board. $23 and i keep it in my bow bag. Msg'd Duffy this morning and he hit me right back with all sorts of helpful tips. I even called the guy who sells it, he has been great texting me all day. The stuff detects hemoglobin, you can sometimes trace up to 6mos, rain actually helps it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Did u guys kick him up or anything? How far could u track him? Blood color?
It takes a good shot to take down a rutted up mature buck. Not being criticial, but that's why I keep all my shots inside 30.

Hope u find him Ed! Like I'm saying not trying to offend anyone

Shot was 28 yards. We did not kick him up. Followed the blood 350 yards. We lost the trail in a park like woods mature red oak forest. It's a massive area with a million trails in every direction. There is not much cover there at all so he kept going into someplace safer, likely up and over a big oak ridge. We briefly looked on the top there but we are going to hopefully pickup the blood again and at least figure out what direction he went. The adjacent property is 2000+ acres, we have full permission to enter and retrieve but it's a very large area and the terrain is very difficult. This is not flat farm land at all. Total elevation change is probably 600' in some areas.

CameraZOOM-20151030100647241.jpg

CameraZOOM-20151030133118945.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Do you guys prefer morning or evening hunts during the rut?

Mornings generally.

Sent from my Z930L using Tapatalk

Definitely hoping for the best, Ed.

Sent from my Z930L using Tapatalk

Go get him Ed!!! I'm pulling for you.

Good luck,Ed. I'd like to know how that blood glow works.

As far as AM PM hunts go. AM seems better for some. But not me. I have to cross crop fields to get to a stand. Never good in the AM. But the timber is. Better in the AM.

No recovery guys. Searched for 3 hours Saturday night, the blood glow didnt help really get us past the area we were. We hiked through wicked terrain and looked and looked but did not find him. I can't imagine him surviving the hit, but maybe we will get lucky and he will.

Neighbor did connect on an absolute slob 8 point yesterday as well. Tall, Heavy, Wide. We saw active chasing yesterday. 2.5 and a 4.5 came in pushing a hot doe. We'll see if these warm temps slow things down at all, cold front end of the week.

Good luck everyone.

Neighbors 8 point scored 161 1/8. Awesome deer.

Last edited: