Not Pruning?

Barndog56

5 year old buck +
Just wondering if anyone out there leaves there trees unpruned, to grow as they wish?

Growing up there were two old apple trees at our house that were huge, obviously unkempt, and delivered a ton of apples every year. Dad never pruned, sprayed, or watered. They were red, average size, and certainly not grocery store pretty, but made the best applesauce.

Not me

Well, they weren't Red Delicious then!
A cared-for tree gives back 10 fold. A well-cared-for tree, 100.

I prune, especially when a tree is young and just developing it's shape. As it gets older and bigger I can do less, so I tend to let them do their own thing with minimal tinkering from me. I am sure these trees will out last me, and years from now someone will comment that they do just fine with no tending... not knowing they were well cared for at an early age.

I have been pruning every other year. I always cut the suckers when I see them. But most of my trees are 6-8 years old, so once they get out of reach, they are on their own.

Just wondering if anyone out there leaves there trees unpruned, to grow as they wish?

Growing up there were two old apple trees at our house that were huge, obviously unkempt, and delivered a ton of apples every year. Dad never pruned, sprayed, or watered. They were red, average size, and certainly not grocery store pretty, but made the best applesauce.

Sure, with most trees, I do no pruning. With apples, I prune a little early to get some general form, and then they are on their own. These are wildlife trees.

Trees for wildlife get less to no pruning.

I see wild crabs and occasionally apples that produce fruit every other year with little pruning.

I suspect that in these open prairie type environments with cold winters, a bush type tree of somewhat modest height is the healthiest apple tree.

Sunscauld is a major problem and pruning for limb scaffolds probably is not a good thing. Strong winds are a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've pruned and used limb spreaders to establish the trees' shapes. In speaking with the head of Penn State's fruit tree program by e-mail, he told me that for wildlife trees, I could probably get by with pruning once every 2 or 3 years. For maximum production for commercial - people - use, annual pruning is best. FWIW.

I've pruned and used limb spreaders to establish the trees' shapes. In speaking with the head of Penn State's fruit tree program by e-mail, he told me that for wildlife trees, I could probably get by with pruning once every 2 or 3 years. For maximum production for commercial - people - use, annual pruning is best. FWIW.

For wildlife trees, taking out water sprouts and crossing limbs might be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm more trying to get them right to start with good structure. Later on I'll either not prune or do the occasional bigger prune with a pole saw. If you can pay attention to the trees over the years, I think you'll find some do just fine with little pruning. Other trees need pruning to keep fruiting well. You can decide if those higher maintenance ones are worth the effort.