NOT an Ozone shed - Redneck Ozone?

John-W-WI

Administrator
2 seasons ago I built what we call "The Hut".

It was framed with 4" x 6" posts buried as deep as we could get them in my hard ground next to my crummy old garage at the cabin. Approximate dimensions (from memory) is 6' wide x 10' long x 9' side walls. (I have since built a small bench on the posts out in front of it for putting boots on):

The Hut 1.jpg

The idea behind it was to allow air to flow in and out of it at all times. You'll notice there is about 10" of open space around the bottom and open eves. This keeps the weather off of everything but allows the structure to breath.

Here is a shot with the door open:

The Hut 3.jpg

A couple shots of gear storage:

The Hut 4.jpg

The Hut 5.jpg

We used screw in hooks:

The Hut 8.jpg

And 2x4 hang on hooks:

The Hut 9.jpg

A couple more shots of the inside:

The Hut 11.jpg

The Hut 13.jpg

Then the rule on my farm is simple:

If it is a base layer, it only gets worn once before washing. Everything else goes in "The Hut" to be aired out before the next hunt.

I don't believe this makes our clothes "scent free" - not by a long shot. But it certainly fills the clothes with smells "from the neighborhood". The times we have been winded have been cut down so far I hate to even say how low it's gotten. Lets just say it's been very effective for us.

It's no ozone machine, but it works well at Big Rock!

-John

Nice John. Bet your stuff is not frosty and/or wet in the morning like mine when I hang them out on the porch overnight.

How do you keep the critters and birds out?

I wondered that also. In MO I think I'd have to enter there armed in the dark. There's an apple tree next to my ozone closet. Can't go out to it without running off coons and opossums.

John I would add wire to the bottom just to be sure. Looks like good circulation though.

I was fully prepared (even built it to lend itself to some hardware cloth) but other than the occasional mouse we haven't had much trouble. One birds nest last spring (swallow) has really been it.

We put our clothes in the hut around the middle to end of August and remove them in December.

Now that I say that out loud, I'm surprised we haven't had any trouble with the chipmunks. There are a bazillion of them around that garage and the cabin. So far so good I guess.

-John

put some tight wire mesh up top and bottom and use a crown stapler to secure it, that will keep lots of stuff out. I would run a ozone generator in that as needed if you wanted to also. It will naturally sanitize the clothes and gear.

Looks great John. I do the same thing, though not quite as nice looking as yours. My gear and clothes goes out into my timber frame in mid-October and comes back in on Dec. 31st. Lots of fresh air circulating...and the building just naturally smells like white pine. Don't really see the point of running ozone.