Norway Spruce Screen Decisions

Since my screen is going in an open field with no protection I am a little worried about going all in on Norways just from what i've read recently about winter burn. I also don't think I can do more than one row of spruce in year 1 since i'm looking at about 1300' of screening and buying potted trees. Please critique my current plan:

1. Plant a single file row of alternating potted Norways and BHS spaced 12'. Row will be set about 15' interior of where a second row will go in the future. Hoping that the alternating BHS will buy me a little more winter burn and browsing forgiveness and the norways are cheaper and should grow faster. Buy 3'x3' mats from SWCD for each tree and add mulch (likely free from the city). Cage all norways and possible BHS as well.
2. Plant a single row of hybrid willow cuttings further inside of the spruce to help provide some screening in the earlier years of spruce.

Maybe I can get a picture later. In one area, I put the bhs on the exposed, southern side. There are scattered white spruce behind them and some whites on one end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 plus years ago, I pulled some white cedar out of ditches and from under some power lines. I had fairly good luck. Pull them as soon as the frost is out and plant them with their roots in the water. I even had some six footers make it.

I just spent the last couple hours reviewing this gold mine of information. Couple questions if you guys dont mind?
1. I'm curious how well the index card stapled on the leaders works? Do you generally take them off around greenup, or?
2. 2021 I planted( 25-30) 2-5 gallon trees (White Spruce and BHS) - I also use weed mats, but didn't cage (Poor/out of time from buying the property in year 1. My bio will till you more) Sounds like folks mentioned a spring fertilizer of 10-10-10 (Few handfuls?) 2022 I have on order 200-300 BHS, WS and BS). Really want to keep fertilizing simple.
3. Wolverine Spade... Where has that been all my life? Its in my basket to order now. How deep are you digging when your transplanting the 16-24" spruce/Pine? The north end of my property is loaded with them as well as some beaked Hazelnut I want to transfer.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely not balsam firs. Balsam firs have very soft flat needles if you were to stoke a branch. The white spruce will be stiff and prickly with round needles. Balsam also keeps smooth bark while white spruce develops scaly bark. I would say with 80% certainty they would most likely be white spruce. If they were norways they would have likely been browsed pretty hard and never allowed to get that big. They look identical to the white spruce I pulled out from under the power lines by me. Crush some needles with your fingertips and stroke a few larger branches. If they smell like shit and prick you its most likely a white spruce. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue: :emoji_stuck_out_tongue:

The needles are round, if your run your hand on a branch, and pull the needles seem pretty soft, if you push, the needles are stiff. If you break the needles and smell them, it smells like pine-sol. I have thousands of them, there is a large tree fairly close by, and the needles felt the same, and the needles when tore in half still smelled like pine-sol. I just wandered around my land, and I have many patches of the same thing, all throughout my land, all smell like evergreen, or pine-sol. I didn’t notice any browse at all on them.

folks mentioned a spring fertilizer of 10-10-10 (Few handfuls?)
The 10-10-10 spring application was me. I don't put it on the year I plant my spruce, since they're overcoming "transplant shock" and trying to establish their root systems. I start in year 2 and toss 2 light handfuls around the young spruce - NOT piled right around the trunks - spread out in a 2 to 3 foot circle. That makes the roots want to grow out toward the fertilizer. I keep fertilizing up until about year 7. By then the spruce are usually about 6 to 8 ft. tall and are well-established. I don't fertilize past year 7 in our location and situation - but you could if you wanted to.

I put the fertilizer on in mid-to-late April. I hope that helps.

I just spent the last couple hours reviewing this gold mine of information. Couple questions if you guys dont mind?
1. I'm curious how well the index card stapled on the leaders works? Do you generally take them off around greenup, or?
2. 2021 I planted( 25-30) 2-5 gallon trees (White Spruce and BHS) - I also use weed mats, but didn't cage (Poor/out of time from buying the property in year 1. My bio will till you more) Sounds like folks mentioned a spring fertilizer of 10-10-10 (Few handfuls?) 2022 I have on order 200-300 BHS, WS and BS). Really want to keep fertilizing simple.
3. Wolverine Spade... Where has that been all my life? Its in my basket to order now. How deep are you digging when your transplanting the 16-24" spruce/Pine? The north end of my property is loaded with them as well as some beaked Hazelnut I want to transfer.

Thanks in advance.

Index cards shield the main leader from sun and can harbor insects. A better option are mesg bud caps...
Mesh Bud caps

Thanks in advance.

The Wolverine Spade should be a sticky somewhere on this site.

Best shovel ever!

Index cards shield the main leader from sun and can harbor insects. A better option are mesg bud caps...
Mesh Bud caps
Looks like a great idea but at $7-8/per its simply not cost effective. A tree can be fenced for that price, IMO.

Bought a couple bundles of those. Looking forward to see how well they work.

Absolutely nothing wrong with ordering from a county you do not live in. You can order from anywhere you would like. I live in McLeod county and have ordered from Meeker and Blue Earth. Most of my stuff comes from Meeker cause I like their sale the most. This year I placed a special order in Meeker for trees they do not typically carry. Joe had no problem getting me everything I wanted and he is well aware that I take those trees for a 200 mile drive before I plant them. Everything gets planted in Cass County. Political boundaries mean nothing when it comes to conservation. In a few days Meeker should have their 2022, sale information up. I will be damn sure to post it here for you, and I think you should get your trees from them. Fantastic quality and price

Here is the form from last year:

Joe told me 2022 should be up before Christmas. I have been checking daily.....

Been checking in on the Meeker county SWCD website pretty regularly. Kandiyohi is selling 1 gallon BHS and Norways for $8.50. The trees you've shown pics of look great but those Kandiyohi prices are enticing!

Been checking in on the Meeker county SWCD website pretty regularly. Kandiyohi is selling 1 gallon BHS and Norways for $8.50. The trees you've shown pics of look great but those Kandiyohi prices are enticing!
3C2B5952-6C2D-4C3B-949A-F1CAC8D4966E.png
AADE80D9-3E2E-46F2-B928-756F00B0D6D3.png

This is what the 2022, order form looks like for Meeker. It’s not up on their website yet. Likely next week. Meeker and Kandi almost certainly get their trees from the exact same place so you can’t really go wrong with whatever you do.

Meeker county now has the 2022, form up on their website. Some really nice big black hills spruce and 2 gallon white pines that are new this year. If there is something additional requested Joe might be able to help you get it. He is getting me 2 gallon white cedar, 2 gallon austrian pine, and a dozen red pines. Im gonna get a few more BHS, some crab apple, and maybe a bundle of dogwood.

Last edited:
Curious if we have any “branches” like this in Wisconsin?

Curious if we have any “branches” like this in Wisconsin?

Just search your local county, and add “tree sales”. All of my local counties sell trees. They aren’t as cheap as the state tree sales, but you also won’t need to pay for shipping, and you can pick them up locally.