Norway spruce plugs

Buckly

5 year old buck +
I had something interesting happen to some spruce plugs that I planted 2 weeks ago, and looking to see if anybody has encountered this before. I planted 18 plugs in a row along the edge of one of my food plots 2 weeks ago and I recall going by there at least once last week and all looked good, until yesterday. All of the plugs except 4 were pulled out of the ground ( I assume) Some were laying a couple inches away and some I couldn't find! I didn't have my phone for pictures but it just seems odd. I've planted over1200 plugs and never had this happen before. Would deer do this? Maybe a fox or coyote?

Deer will try eating them if they're not familiar with them and already know they don't taste good. Seems odd that they'd do it to 14 trees at once.

Is this border to someone else's land along the tree line?

No, it's not on the border but humans did cross my mind. The ground is fairly soft in this area but, I could not find any human tracks anywhere near the area. I know sometimes coyotes or fox will play with things. My first thought was deer but you would think after a few that would be it. This hasn't happened anywhere else. I've got a couple extra so I will replant and put up a camera.

As part of my "production line" when planting any new tree (caged or not), I keep a spray bottle of Deer Stopper Concentrate and spray every new tree and shrub that goes in the ground. If they had some tender shoots on them, that could have peaked their interest in the new buffet line...