Driil auger for planting plugs

jsasker007

5 year old buck +
Just got done planting 105 spruce tree plugs using the auger that runs off of a cordless drill. SLICK! Wish I would have had one of these about 10 years ago. Says to use a drill that's at least 18v. Mine is 18v and drilled the holes for all of them without showing signs of slowing down. After swearing that I'm done planting more trees I might sneak in some more plugs now. I had an auger ordered with some plug trees I was getting a few years ago and something happened where the order wound up getting cancelled otherwise I would have had an auger sooner. After drilling a few holes you get the feel for it and don't keep fighting it. I would recommend the tool for anyone who plants small spruce/pine trees in plug form.

Just got done planting 105 spruce tree plugs using the auger that runs off of a cordless drill. SLICK! Wish I would have had one of these about 10 years ago. Says to use a drill that's at least 18v. Mine is 18v and drilled the holes for all of them without showing signs of slowing down. After swearing that I'm done planting more trees I might sneak in some more plugs now. I had an auger ordered with some plug trees I was getting a few years ago and something happened where the order wound up getting cancelled otherwise I would have had an auger sooner. After drilling a few holes you get the feel for it and don't keep fighting it. I would recommend the tool for anyone who plants small spruce/pine trees in plug form.
They really are the best, but I would suggest you get a backup. I planted so many my drill eventually sheared the auger shaft. I choked it up a bit and did a few more before the chuck started to spin. I had to wait a week or so for the replacement. Plugs are a bit more expensive, but your productivity will skyrocket!

I've destroyed a few of the Amazon augers. I highly recommend PowerPlanter brand. They're heavier duty and guaranteed. I have 3 different sizes. Some are wider and some are longer. (Less bending) I use them in an Echo gas earth auger, which is needed for the rocky PA soils. (Tried cordless and my wrists were not a fan) I highly recommend anyone planting seedlings to check into an auger. We've had much better success with the auger and potted seedlings than a dibble bar and bare root seedlings.

Stihl makes one too. I found the Echo for $75 used. Needed a little work, but it's as good as new now.