No-Tilling Soybeans into Rye?

cornfedkiller

5 year old buck +
Had someone tell me last summer that I should no-till soybeans into winter rye in the spring. I planted winter rye in a plot last fall, and its growing good now this spring, but I have a couple questions for the guys that have done this..

1) When should I plant beans? I heard that I should plant them when the rye has heads on it, but it seems like it won't have heads on it for another month.

2) I was told if you roll (or crimp) rye over when it has heads on but the seeds havent matured yet, it will die and not re-seed itself. How long of a window do I have from when it puts heads on until they are viable seeds?

I would plant the soybeans at the appropriate time for your area (whatever that is). The WR need to be terminate. Using a crimper is one method. Another is to simply spray it with gly after your roll and no-till into it. If the roller/crimper does not break the shaft, the gly will terminate it.

Thanks,

Jack

Like I said cornfed, plant your beans when the time is right for the beans. Whatever stage the rye is at will act as a good thatch and still be beneficial to no-till through. If its worked good for me up here it has to work for you down there!

I was hoping to get away with not spraying it right away, but it sounds like spraying the WR is the way to go...

Not sure where you are but in La. the time is now. These pictures were taken last week. No spraying . Crimped and drilled at the same time.IMG_4618.JPGIMG_4607.JPG

Just be sure you bean field is big enough to handle summer pressure. It doesn't take a lot of deer to wipe out a bean or pea field if its too small. 5 acre + might be the minimum for most. These were planted last week. IMG_4638.JPG

Had someone tell me last summer that I should no-till soybeans into winter rye in the spring. I planted winter rye in a plot last fall, and its growing good now this spring, but I have a couple questions for the guys that have done this..

1) When should I plant beans? I heard that I should plant them when the rye has heads on it, but it seems like it won't have heads on it for another month.

2) I was told if you roll (or crimp) rye over when it has heads on but the seeds havent matured yet, it will die and not re-seed itself. How long of a window do I have from when it puts heads on until they are viable seeds?

You are probably competing for moisture & nutrients at that time of year. WR is great over winter & early spring green up, the legume will need every bit it can to compete.

Yep plant when you can and when best in your area. If the rye is mature enough to have developed round stalks you can just crimp it. I just drop the FEL low to the ground as I'm drilling.

Info too late for this year but just ran across this and maybe some things to consider for next year. Some youtube vids out there on no tilling beans into rye and actually crimping later to allow planting beans a few weeks earlier from UW Madison aimed at the organic farmers so no herbicides. There are other related ones if you search around