No tags required in Wisconsin?

It is a digital kind of world I guess.

Been that way here in NC for a few years. No carcass tag here but you have to validate your kill tag, at the site of the kill, attached to your license by cutting day and month of harvest. You then must call in or go on line to register your kill and receive a kill number to write on your license. Get caught by not validating your kill tag or not registering your kill and you could get a ticket. Here they will terminate your lifetime license or prohibit you from getting a license for several years or lifetime if you don't follow the rules.

Last edited:
Indiana went to this a year or two ago. No physical tag or check-in. Just a temporary tag (some info on a piece of paper) is all you need with some computer generated number. Use your cell phone or lap top to get a number and that's it. I understand it's easier on the DNR to do it this way, but this opens to door wide open for those who choose to not play by the rules. Before you HAD to take your deer to a check station...yes it could be a pain in the butt, but at least the DNR had a chance to ensure folks where using the right weapon, killing the proper sex animal and recording their harvests. I liked the physical check stations and tags. The metal tags we had here where a great memento of the hunt and the check stations where great places to hang out and see the deer being brought in. It was a social event where hunters mingled and swapped stories and the like (but from the DNR's perspective maybe that a bad thing). Those are now gone and the burden of data input has been placed on the hunter. I just see it as another step of the DNR backing out of their responsibilities, to be honest. I feel my DNR cares more about killing as many deer as possible vs doing it legally. I'm all for embracing technology....but do your dang job! Don't mean to be so negative, just frustrating that yet more hunting traditions are dying...because its "easy".

Another nail in the coffin of the tradition hunting in WI...

Im less concerned about the poaching/non registration of deer than I am about how the State of WI year by year has whittled away at the culture and "tradition of hunting" in the State all in the name of convenience.

The traditional 9 day gun deer season (the foundation of hunting is the State) no longer is what it used to be and the economy has suffered for it. What we used to call a state holiday and what was recognized in the state as just that is gone. What often seemed more like right's of passage - tagging deer, socializing as you registered them, the group camaraderie of contact with other hunters and the spin off benefits hunting brought to the state and local economies are a fading thing...Talk to any bar, gas station, store owner or other local businesses and you'll hear the same thing - where are all the hunters, where have they gone? It's easier for the general public to support something that benefits them, something that is familiar and believed to be a common practice... This is just another thing that has driven hunting back into the shadows. What was an open family tradition across the state is now a rich man's sport, built on convenience and conducted more and more in secrecy. I have agreed with the relaxing of some regulations; like not having to have the carcass transported exposed to the general public. But despite having less hassles to deal with the path the State has taken in the last decade has done nothing to really "better" hunting in the state. I had hopes deregulation would increase deer numbers and though these efforts appear to make hunting less restrictive and inconvenient I think the tradeoffs have left us with something less that what we had before.

I always hated back tags too... but now I'm like bring it all back!

Last edited:
Another nail in the coffin of the tradition hunting in WI...

Im less concerned about the poaching/non registration of deer than I am about how the State of WI year by year has whittled away at the culture and "tradition of hunting" in the State all in the name of convenience.

The traditional 9 day gun deer season (the foundation of hunting is the State) no longer is what it used to be and the economy has suffered for it. What we used to call a state holiday and what was recognized in the state as just that is gone. What often seemed more like right's of passage - tagging deer, socializing as you registered them, the group camaraderie of contact with other hunters and the spin off benefits hunting brought to the state and local economies are a fading thing...Talk to any bar, gas station, store owner or other local businesses and you'll hear the same thing - where are all the hunters, where have they gone? It's easier for the general public to support something that benefits them, something that is familiar and believed to be a common practice... This is just another thing that has driven hunting back into the shadows. What was an open family tradition across the state is now a rich man's sport, built on convenience and conducted more and more in secrecy. I have agreed with the relaxing of some regulations; like not having to have the carcass transported exposed to the general public. But despite having less hassles to deal with the path the State has taken in the last decade has done nothing to really "better" hunting in the state. I had hopes deregulation would increase deer numbers and though these efforts appear to make hunting less restrictive and inconvenient I think the tradeoffs have left us with something less that what we had before.

I always hated back tags too... but now I'm like bring it all back!

Yes, it’s not what it once was just a short time ago. It really sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As society continues to shift more and more away from rural environments, those cultures of that rural environment die. Folks are too concerned with FB, tweeting, being PC and their $5 coffee and all the other distractions out there. What sucks is how society as a whole changes we become more and more a minority and the game and sport we love becomes more and more influenced by those not interested in hunting at all. This "social carrying capacity" model that states now use essentially means they manage deer to a level that society as a whole will tolerate. Thus meaning that as the population grows there will be less and less tolerance and resources for wildlife populations as whole! They are not protecting the resources they are simply managing them based on what society and the political machine tells them. Society claims they want wildlife, but that is until they hit it with their car or it's eating their bushes and costing them money or profits! Welcome to the "Me and now" society .....the "We and tomorrow" society is dying.....

As society continues to shift more and more away from rural environments, those cultures of that rural environment die. Folks are too concerned with FB, tweeting, being PC and their $5 coffee and all the other distractions out there. What sucks is how society as a whole changes we become more and more a minority and the game and sport we love becomes more and more influenced by those not interested in hunting at all. This "social carrying capacity" model that states now use essentially means they manage deer to a level that society as a whole will tolerate. Thus meaning that as the population grows there will be less and less tolerance and resources for wildlife populations as whole! They are not protecting the resources they are simply managing them based on what society and the political machine tells them. Society claims they want wildlife, but that is until they hit it with their car or it's eating their bushes and costing them money or profits! Welcome to the "Me and now" society .....the "We and tomorrow" society is dying.....

It's kind of our own fault. Back in the "Good ol' Days" (which I unfortunately never knew) Rural and small towners used to have families of epic proportions based on today's standards. Now with the ridiculous land prices, low commodities prices, and gigantic farm implements most farm kids are going to college and getting a job in the city because there isn't the opportunity that there once was to start/continue farming at a young age. With everybody in urbania having small families, being gay, and having multiple abortions we could turn things around in a few generations but good luck finding a woman to agree to it let alone being able to bankroll it.

Ohio went to the electronic or call in check in to permanently tag deer awhile back, you just write your own kill tag attach it to carcass before moving then call it in when you get it home. I think it opened the door for unscrupulous to cheat even more.
Don't even need a hard copy of license in our wallet any more we can just have a pic or screen shot of our small game license on our phone while hunting, fishing or trapping on public for proof, for deer or turkey on public hunters must still have a current hard copy permit on them.