New product to prevent deer browsing on evergreens

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
We had a Zoom meeting/presentation today concerning Christmas trees. Information was passed on from the presenter about a commercially made product from Trico Chemical. Basically it is lanolin extracted from sheep wool and then emulsified with water and insecticidal soap. They have been testing it on Christmas tree seedlings and have been very impressed with the results. Better than Plantskyyd which is routinely used now. It is simple enough to make at home as well. He said it is a European produced product and is not labeled for use in most of the US. So he came up with the "homemade recipe." By weight it is 6.4% lanolin, 1% insecticial soap and the remainder is water. They make it in a 5 gallon bucket. Start with 3 gallons of very warm to hot water, add the lanolin and then emulsify that with a paddle on a drill, add the rest of the water and the insecticidal soap and finish mixing. The apply it with a hand pump sprayer or a mist blower. Said you should wear a respirator if applying with a mist blower as inhaling it could be hard on your lungs. Anyways thought that for folks it might be a economical solution to try, reportedly has a 6 month effectiveness before needing to be re applied. Here is a link to the lanolin source he uses.

I use a 10% lanolin to 90% alcohol mix as my go to brass lube for reloading rifle cartridges beats anything you can buy. Doesn’t surprise me to hear about this recipe lanolin is good stuff.

Scandinavia has a lot of those recipes for plant pritection. We tend to fine tune the ingredients a little based on the specific use (aphids, mildew, etc.), but it all seems to work well. I tend to use canola oil in my yard and garden, but lanolin would probably last a lot longer and repel deer better on evergreens. Thanks for the recipe.