New Place-Fruit Tree Ideas

Here in NY we have Wetland Rose, it is about the size and shape of Dogwood when mature but has hooked thorns, not as big, but close to the shape of a turkeys spurs. I have shredded many hunting clothes walking through the stuff over the years. Once you are tangled one simply cannot just pull away from it, you have to back up and release it from your clothes. If I ever had to deter someone I would plant more of it.
Alot of critters love it though including deer that browse on the new growth, and things like Grouse eat the fruit all winter long, if memory serves the little "berries" are referred to as "rose hips". Not sure what the difference is without looking it up.... and now I am inclined to look up the difference between hips and berries :emoji_grimacing:

I planted quite a few hawthorns from the PGC in 2014 or 2015. Those were tiny to start with and, without protection, I don’t think any of those are more than knee high.

Here in NY we have Wetland Rose, it is about the size and shape of Dogwood when mature but has hooked thorns, not as big, but close to the shape of a turkeys spurs. I have shredded many hunting clothes walking through the stuff over the years. Once you are tangled one simply cannot just pull away from it, you have to back up and release it from your clothes. If I ever had to deter someone I would plant more of it.
Alot of critters love it though including deer that browse on the new growth, and things like Grouse eat the fruit all winter long, if memory serves the little "berries" are referred to as "rose hips". Not sure what the difference is without looking it up.... and now I am inclined to look up the difference between hips and berries :emoji_grimacing:

The fruit of the Rosa genus is called a hip. Like the fruit of the Malus genus is called an apple. The two are actually relatively closely related. Fresh rose hips are useful for making rose hip jelly or wine. Dry rose hips can be used for tea. Be careful handling them as they have itchy hairs inside.

Here are a few photos of what I call scrub oak. My wife is about 5'2" so you can see how they are not tall but very thick. There are tons of acorns but I've never actually seen one on the ground. Probably so small once they hit the ground theyrd lost in the leaf litter and mice, chipmunks, and squirrels scurry off with them.
20210724_110750.jpg

Close up of leaves and developing acorns. The leaves are shiney like holly bush leaves and relatively small. I'm 5'7" so you can get an idea of the size of my hand.
20210724_110800.jpg

Thats an interesting idea...good screen and produces food....do you know how old those trees are? Also, where are these located as I am in North central PA and need to know if they would make it as our winters can get a bit cold..thanks!

No idea on how old but there are large areas with just them and that's as big as the trees get here. I'm in the poconos, zone 5a. SGL 119 is covered with them so if you're ever out this way stop and check it out.

rogersb, we have a very similar looking red oak variety, we call them pin oaks. They grow faster when young than our other oaks but are usually smaller and put out acorns sooner that are capped like yours. They usually start making some nuts within ten or twelve years.