New Crossbow

The Mission Sub 1 series has some of the best fit and finish on the market. You pay for that but it’s smooth and quit and best of all you can decock it when you get back to your vehicle.
I really love the decocking feature. It beats the heck out of discharging your crossbow with a discharge bolt. It is very easy to use and well thought out. The bow I was looking for when I went into the shop was the sniper-lite (which they told me was discontinued and replaced by the sub 1-lite) because of the very low noise measurements compared to other crossbows. The only complaint I read about the sniper-lite was the lack of a decocking feature. Sounds like Mission listens to the reviews.

Thanks,

Jack

Mine doesn't decock, so I just put a practice arrow in it and shoot it at a block target with the truck running. No biggie.

Mine doesn't decock, so I just put a practice arrow in it and shoot it at a block target with the truck running. No biggie.

The problem with that is each discharge wears the bow, string and serving. For some things like turkey hunting, I like to decock each time I leave a setup and don't recock until I hear a gobble. It is a nice feature

Ever try a Ravin? They were awarded the crossbow of the year by either Field and Stream or Outdoor Life - I can't remember which one it was.

Ever try a Ravin? They were awarded the crossbow of the year by either Field and Stream or Outdoor Life - I can't remember which one it was.

Nope. I have a friend with a Ravin. I had one overriding criteria which was noise. I started with the Archery Trade Magazine reviews. They don't review even close to every crossbow brand or model, but they are consistent in their methodology for measuring sound. It is not the method I would use, but it provides and apples to apples comparison. You're not going to find the latest models in these reviews but it is a pretty representative sampling over time.

As I looked at the reviews for the last few years, every crossbow was in the 90 db to 97 db by their measurement method. The Mission Sniper-lite was 83db. I believe with sound (verses RF or power) 6db is twice as loud. So, the Mission Sniper-lite was only half as loud as the closet crossbow tested.

I would have preferred to establish my own testing methodology and shoot each crossbow myself for testing, but that simply isn't practical. Given the information I had, I decided to checkout the sniper-lite for myself. When I got to the dealer they told me it was replaced by he Sub 1-lite this year, so I shot that.

From an anecdotal perspective, I have been at the range with other folks shooting their crossbows. I have done a lot with my old Parker Hurricane. I filled the tube with expandable foam, applied limb stoppers and savers, and used leaches. I have not heard other guys crossbows that my ear could tell were quieter than my old Parker. This includes my buddy's Ravin (although it is faster). Nothing scientific here, just my sense. By the way, the guy with the Ravin has had several issues with it. Could be a fluke, I don't know, but it is their highest end bow.

The Sub 1-lite is significantly quieter than my old Parker to my ear. In general, the industry seems to be driven by 1) Speed and then 2) Compactness.

I generally don't put much stock in those "Equipment of the year" awards. Most of these are kind of infomercial type awards. There is rarely one "best" of anything. Generally, like most things, it is which one matches your needs best. Here is the link for the ATM reviews: https://arrowtrademagazine.com/crossbow-reports#1522f930-b532-48ea-b225-da87932cdadf

These reviews are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and in many ways they are judgment and opinion like any other. However, they are pretty consistent in how the test and take measurement from every bow they test. I did not weigh the opinions heavily, but it is the only place I've seen anyone taking consistent sound measurements.

Thanks,

Jack

Hey Yoder just use 3.5" turkey loads then you won't have to worry about decocking ;)

My string will be ready to preventively replace before it wears out.

Hey Yoder just use 3.5" turkey loads then you won't have to worry about decocking ;)

My string will be ready to preventively replace before it wears out.

Typically I use a 10 gauge with 3.5" Nitro Heavy Shot loads for spring gobbler. I personally haven't tried the TSS yet but I've got a buddy who has tested it with the same gun and had even better results. For many years, I hunted Quantico MCB before we got our own land. They have training areas that are archery-only. They also have a preferential check-out system. So, when training is heavy and few training areas are open for hunting, archery-only areas may be the only option. I haven't hunted quantico for a number of years and as I'm getting older, I'm doing much less run & gun where decocking is an issue. When I hunted quantico, I did the same as you and carried a block in the back of my truck.

Thanks,

Jack

Just a quick update. I headed to the farm last week and got a chance to shoot it a bit at the range. No issues and I find it very accurate. I ordered a picatinny rail for the bottom of it and ordered a monopod with a picatinny rail adapter. Both came in today. Today was our opener for archery. I didn't see a deer but I got an opportunity to shoot it. I took a gobbler at 27 yards with it. I'm still pretty happy with it.

Thanks,

Jack

I installed the accessory picatinny rail today. There were no instructions. I presume Mission wants dealers to do the installation. It was all pretty self-evident. It comes with two screws that are long enough to go through the rail. I then installed the monopod adapter. Very nice setup.

I shot my first doe with it last night. I also found my first dislike. That is the position of the safety. It is located on the back of the receiver where a hammer safety would be on a gun. With bow hunting, minimizing movement is key. It requires one to remove one's hand from the pistol grip and pull the right elbow back to disengage the safety. You can't simply reach up with you thumb like a hammer safety because of the forward trigger position. It would be a better design if it was a trigger guard safety where less movement was needed.

Having said that, it is a small complaint. In fact, I actually had an opportunity to change hands as the doe stepped behind a tree and shoot her left handed. It was a 30 yard shot quartering away. Like in the recent After the Shot thread, it was a very tough blood trail. Fortunately I saw her run and thought I heard her crash. The arrow had very good blood but I found no blood. She was in a small field when I shot her and it was easy to see where she entered the pines. The pines had been thinned and burned a few years ago, so it was thick at ground level.

I recovered the arrow a few minutes after the shot and marked where she entered the woods. I then headed back to camp and changed out of my hunting clothes before heading back out to trail her. There was no blood for the first 50 yards and then only a tiny drop or two. From there, I only had a drop or two every 40 yards or so. I lost the trail many times and had to go back to my last flagged blood. Because of how thick it was at ground level, the FLIR was limited in distance. Walking circles and scanning yielded nothing. I kept going back to the last flagged blood and trying different angles until I could find another tiny speck. It took me an hour to find her. When I got close enough for line of sight, the FLIR ended the search.

Post hunt analysis showed the arrow entered slightly through the paunch, traveled through both lungs and exited high (3/4 up the chest). Blood had just pooled in the chest and her intestines popped out the entry hole. While my treestand was quite high, the terrain was such that she was elevated relative to me and my shooting angle was quite shallow. The illuminated nock and arrow blood gave me high confidence it was a good kill shot. Watching her direction of travel and hearing her crash, gave me general direction to find the first blood. Because she had lost no blood externally, there was a 30 pound weight difference between live weight and dressed weight. That and the fact her stomach was so full.

Thanks,

Jack

A guy I work with just bought one. Very pricy but holy smokes they shoot nice!
Watched him shoot sighting it in, after that at 70 yards free hand I think he could hit a playing card every time. They are so small lightweight and narrow it looks like a kids toy...I am very seriously thinking of getting one for next fall. Everything I saw with it was pretty awesome...except the price.

I shot my first doe with it last night. I also found my first dislike. That is the position of the safety. It is located on the back of the receiver where a hammer safety would be on a gun. With bow hunting, minimizing movement is key. It requires one to remove one's hand from the pistol grip and pull the right elbow back to disengage the safety. You can't simply reach up with you thumb like a hammer safety because of the forward trigger position. It would be a better design if it was a trigger guard safety where less movement was needed.

Having said that, it is a small complaint. In fact, I actually had an opportunity to change hands as the doe stepped behind a tree and shoot her left handed. It was a 30 yard shot quartering away. Like in the recent After the Shot thread, it was a very tough blood trail. Fortunately I saw her run and thought I heard her crash. The arrow had very good blood but I found no blood. She was in a small field when I shot her and it was easy to see where she entered the pines. The pines had been thinned and burned a few years ago, so it was thick at ground level.

I recovered the arrow a few minutes after the shot and marked where she entered the woods. I then headed back to camp and changed out of my hunting clothes before heading back out to trail her. There was no blood for the first 50 yards and then only a tiny drop or two. From there, I only had a drop or two every 40 yards or so. I lost the trail many times and had to go back to my last flagged blood. Because of how thick it was at ground level, the FLIR was limited in distance. Walking circles and scanning yielded nothing. I kept going back to the last flagged blood and trying different angles until I could find another tiny speck. It took me an hour to find her. When I got close enough for line of sight, the FLIR ended the search.

Post hunt analysis showed the arrow entered slightly through the paunch, traveled through both lungs and exited high (3/4 up the chest). Blood had just pooled in the chest and her intestines popped out the entry hole. While my treestand was quite high, the terrain was such that she was elevated relative to me and my shooting angle was quite shallow. The illuminated nock and arrow blood gave me high confidence it was a good kill shot. Watching her direction of travel and hearing her crash, gave me general direction to find the first blood. Because she had lost no blood externally, there was a 30 pound weight difference between live weight and dressed weight. That and the fact her stomach was so full.

Thanks,

Jack
Congrats on the doe!

Comgratulations on the doe. Meat in the freezer early in the season. Nice work.

Congrats on the doe!
Comgratulations on the doe. Meat in the freezer early in the season. Nice work.

Thanks. Our deer numbers are bouncing back pretty strong. She was lactating a lot. Our timber related habitat improvements have increased our BCC, but we need to watch the population. I trend it from year to year. We had a crash in 2014. Previously we had been in shoot-every-doe mode. Our numbers have bounced back. We are now in a stance of shooting mature does when a good opportunity presents itself.

Thanks,

Jack

Congrats on the doe, yoder. Way to hang in there on the track job.

As for the Ravin, I haven't shot one personally, but a guy I work with has 1 and has had it discharge twice without a trigger pull... Maybe he's doing something wrong, but seems like something funny happening.

Congrats on the doe, yoder. Way to hang in there on the track job.

As for the Ravin, I haven't shot one personally, but a guy I work with has 1 and has had it discharge twice without a trigger pull... Maybe he's doing something wrong, but seems like something funny happening.

Yes, my friend really liked his when he first got it, but he had a number of issues with it. I don't know the details, but he is much less enchanted with it now. I have not seen any talk of folks having issues with sub 1-lite so far, but it is new. However, the sub 1 frame is not new this year and the lite version is on that frame with a lighter draw weight so I would expect it to be similarly reliable.

Thanks,

Jack

I have had a Ravin for two years now with no problems. Have killed a bear and a couple of deer. It is LOUD. They can - and will - jump the string.

I have had a Ravin for two years now with no problems. Have killed a bear and a couple of deer. It is LOUD. They can - and will - jump the string.

Yes, the noise is what took it off my list for consideration. I don't know if the issues my buddy was having with his were just a fluke or more ubiquitous. It didn't matter to me as it was a non-start based on noise. Good to hear that folks like you are not having technical issues like my buddy.

Thanks,

Jack

Several years ago while I was hunting turkey with my Parker Hurricane, I set up on a slope. This crossbow has an adjustable stock, but given the angle I was at, I could not adjust the stock short enough to comfortably prop the bow on my knee. Finally, I got the bright idea to extend the stock all the way and put it over top of my shoulder. Epiphany!

I realized this was a much more stable shooting position. Rather than using my muscles to pull the stock into my shoulder to stabilize it, The weight of my right arm, with the aid of gravity, holding the pistol grip, pulled the stock securely on top of my shoulder. The scope was perfect with my head up. No need to cheek it. The next time I was in a deer stand I tried the same thing. Wow! I loved it. It was very comfortable and stable, and would sit in position on my shoulder requiring very little movement for a shot.

Since crossbows have no kick and there is no chance of getting hit in the eye with a scope, the only function the traditional stock provides is stability for shooting unlike a firearm where it absorbs the kick as well.

My new sub-1 lite has an adjustable stock, but it is not field adjustable like the Parker was. You have to remove screws to slide the butt plate back and reinstall them. I did use it for a while as it came. With a fixed length stock, one needs to conform ones posture to the stock size. With my old Parker and the over the shoulder shooting method, I just slid the bow back or forward to match my body position. While this change in body position is most evident when sitting on the ground turkey hunting with your knees up depending on terrain, there is still some small body position differences depending on the deer stand or blind I'm using.

So, I decided to modify my new Sub-1 lite:

92ce7643-5330-44f4-9110-decbe58a01ca.jpg

I removed the butt portion of the stock and simply bolted a couple pieces of aluminum to extend the stock back far enough that I can slide it to any position on top of my shoulder. I have since painted the aluminum black and used some pipe insulation foam to add a little padding over it for comfort. I haven't taken a picture since I've done that.

Limitations for the Sub-1:

The major limitation is that the butt section of the Sub-1 stock is designed to hold the crank style cocking aid. I don't use it as this bow is easy for me to cock with the cocking rope. So, this is not a problem for me.

The second issue is that the butt section of the stock is where the sling stud is located. I plan to move the sling stud to the pistol grip when I get a chance. I'll try to take a picture of the finished modification when I get a chance.

Thanks,

Jack

I attached the sling stud to the pistol grip today and installed the sling. Here is the final picture:

1838b391-c454-4c95-aed1-1a1692a22a41.jpg