Need spreader advice...good, bad and ugly

MNAaron

5 year old buck +
Our old utv spreader/seeder finally died. I am looking at getting a 3 pointer spreader and was wondering what you guys recommend. We have a drill so this would be for fertilizer, frost seeding etc...any help would be greatly appreciated.

I posted this on the old site but never even got to read the replies before it died. So sorry for the reposting.

We have the black poly 3 pt one from Northern Tool. Havent used it yet though.
Hope to use it this weekend and can report back. We paid $350 for it after sale and a coupon I had.

Is poly better than metal? Is one more durable than another? I am guessing fertilizer will cause the metal ones to rust.

Is poly better than metal? Is one more durable than another? I am guessing fertilizer will cause the metal ones to rust.
A lot depends how you take care of it. Yes poly won't rust but metal is stronger and can be repaired if cracked. Keep metal clean and oiled up after use and it will last for years. Myself I buy WD40 by the gallon, I spray all my eq. down after use and it sit outside year round.

Does anybody have any homemade plans or ideas for an atv spreader?

Many of the lower cost spreaders are made by Cosmos in Italy and re-badged by other companies. I own a King Kutter / Cosmos that I paid $300 for when I bought my disk. Works good for fertilizers, soybeans, oats, rye, peas, radish No-g0 for smaller sized seeds. (also use the Herd seeders below for most of this work now.)

Mine has a steel hopper and corrosion is a non-event. If they rust....it's lily the spinner plate and other stuff will rust before the hopper rusts. I blow it off with air, then wash and oil it after use with fertilizers. No corrosion when cleaned properly. I like a product called "FLUID FILM" for coating such equipment.

I also own two Herd Seeder / Spreaders. One for the 3 point and one for my wheeler. The one on the 3 point is a good find off CL and works pretty sweet. I am not too sold on the GT model for my wheeler.....and have trouble recommending such a spreader. They are quite high-priced and require a bit of re-engineering to meet my standards....and keep operational. "Almost" a good product....IMO.

We use hand-held "whirly birds" for seeding brasica and clover. These get the small seeds more evenly distributed and provide fewer problems for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. Just what I was looking for.