need new pair of game shears (scissors) to clean squirrels

JFK52

5 year old buck +
I have grey squirrels that come to my bird feeding areas in mass. I have a good friend whose family with two teenage girls loves squirrels. I shoot 15-20 squirrels every year for him to cook up as family meals. This number hardly puts a dent in the local squirrel population as I have oak woods all around my house. He absolutely loves the gifts and I enjoy thinning the squirrels. I am in need of a good pair of game shears or scissors to help in my cleaning of these tree rodents. I have looked on fleabay and have several on my watch list.
Any recommendations from forum members who use shears to help clean any kinds of small game. It can be rabbits, squirrels, doves, pheasants etc. You get the idea.
I have arthritis in both hands and have had carpal tunnal surgery on both hands also. There are other problems with my hands that are related to growing old. So one requirement would be generous handles on the shears so I can actually use them with my hands. Good steel that will keep an edge and a bone breaker are other needs. A holster or case for storage when not in use would be nice. Finally, I need a pair that are reasonably priced.

I use pruners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a set of bird shears from Cabela’s years ago- best squirrel hunting accessory I own! Cut off feet, ribs, heads- it a time saver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have grey squirrels that come to my bird feeding areas in mass. I have a good friend whose family with two teenage girls loves squirrels. I shoot 15-20 squirrels every year for him to cook up as family meals. This number hardly puts a dent in the local squirrel population as I have oak woods all around my house. He absolutely loves the gifts and I enjoy thinning the squirrels. I am in need of a good pair of game shears or scissors to help in my cleaning of these tree rodents. I have looked on fleabay and have several on my watch list.
Any recommendations from forum members who use shears to help clean any kinds of small game. It can be rabbits, squirrels, doves, pheasants etc. You get the idea.
I have arthritis in both hands and have had carpal tunnal surgery on both hands also. There are other problems with my hands that are related to growing old. So one requirement would be generous handles on the shears so I can actually use them with my hands. Good steel that will keep an edge and a bone breaker are other needs. A holster or case for storage when not in use would be nice. Finally, I need a pair that are reasonably priced.

There is a squirrel skinning method that really makes shears unnecessary but you certainly could use them in place of a knife. We use a great video in our hunter end classes. It used to be available as a DVD from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, but I can't find the link. I'll do my best to describe it:

You lift the tail and cut through it between the bones, but do not cut through the skin on the opposite side.
You then make a small nick in the skin at a 45 degree angle from the base of the tail downward on each side.
You then lay the squirrel on its back on a hard surface.
Step on the tail with your boot as close to the butt as possible.
Grab both rear feet and lift.
The skin should tear along those 45 degree nicks around to the belly.
As you lift, the skin peals off like you are taking off a tee-shirt.
You then stand on the skin that is hanging over the head and get your fingers under the belly skin and lift.
This pulls the skin off the rear like taking off pants.
From there you snap off the legs with a knife (could use shears) and twist off the head.
The squirrel is now fully skinned without being gutted. A small knife is enough to gut the squirrel, but again you could use shears.

You may already by using this method, but it was a Godsend when I found it. It is hugely easier than my old method which was gutting first then cutting the skin around the middle and trying to pull it off each end.

I'll let others recommend shears, I just thought I'd throw this out there in case you had not seen it. There may be youtube videos, but I really liked the one the department put out.

Thanks,

Jack

This video shows what Jack is talking about cutting through the tail.

I use a different method to clean my squirrels. I soak the squirrels in water to keep the hair off the meat. Then I cut off the tail and all the feet. I pinch the skin on the back and make a cut with my knife just through the hide. Then I put fingers in each side of the cut and pull the skin towards the head and tail. If done right, it comes off with a little help needed around each leg.
I have been cleaning squirrels like this since I was 12 years old. I am not going to change now.

I use a different method to clean my squirrels. I soak the squirrels in water to keep the hair off the meat. Then I cut off the tail and all the feet. I pinch the skin on the back and make a cut with my knife just through the hide. Then I put fingers in each side of the cut and pull the skin towards the head and tail. If done right, it comes off with a little help needed around each leg.
I have been cleaning squirrels like this since I was 12 years old. I am not going to change now.
That is exactly how I did it when I was young. I've been converted!

This link shows clearly why shears are a great addition to the process-the little bone breaking notch is great. The gutting method shown is well worth the cost of carrying them around-when you do it right the innards shake right out.

419abec938df8277b6e5ed937c81bbe4.jpg

Here’s the pair I like to use-getting out this morning for a few hours.

My dad always used tin snips.

VV

I bought a pair of Kershaw Taskmaster Shears ( model 1120x). They are a quantum improvement over the no name shears I have been using. I can readily see why there are a top rated model. They should last me the rest of my hunting career.

Thanks from all the squirrel hunters. It is how I got into hunting at 12 years of age in suburban Milwaukee, WI. It pleases me to see that there are still a few squirrel hunters active.

I am sticking to my cut a slit in the middle of the back cleaning method. One new thing I do is soak the squirrels in water especially if they are stiff. This makes it easier to get the two sides apart and leaves very few if any hairs on the meat. A real plus.

Arthritis in my knees and hands makes it quite difficult for me to do the "step on the tail" method of squirrel cleaning. However, if it is your preferred method I say go for it.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Kershaw Taskmaster Shears ( model 1120x). They are a quantum improvement over the no name shears I have been using. I can readily see why there are a top rated model. They should last me the rest of my hunting career.

Thanks from all the squirrel hunters. It is how I got into hunting at 12 years of age in suburban Milwaukee, WI. It pleases me to see that there are still a few squirrel hunters active.

I am sticking to my cut a slit in the middle of the back cleaning method. One new thing I do is soak the squirrels in water especially if they are stiff. This makes it easier to get the two sides apart and leaves very few if any hairs on the meat. A real plus.

I find the middle of the back slit method works way better on Fox squirrels, especially older ones. They are tough! Grays seem to work fine with the step on the tail method, and they all skin easier when warm.