Need assurance on grass id

nwmn

5 year old buck +
I've got what I believe to be big bluestem on the left and indian grass on the right. Is my prognosis correct? This stuff is starting to fill in nicely in the area that we planted 12 acres of the pollinator mix in our CRP. If we're able to burn in the spring I would think we'd have a beautiful stand. I'll have to post pics of that next time I get out.

Yep, you are correct .

This time of year the grasses look golden. Good year of growth with the rain we got.

When did u plant?

When did u plant?
planted in spring of 2012 I believe. been slow to establish, but I guess I haven't really paid too much attention to it. I've heard fire is best for this planting, but we may just mow it due to not enough people to man the fire breaks

planted in spring of 2012 I believe. been slow to establish, but I guess I haven't really paid too much attention to it. I've heard fire is best for this planting, but we may just mow it due to not enough people to man the fire breaks

Mow it this fall after it is dormant and has dried down. Dry grasses mow easier and then you will get the grass seed on the ground. With the winter snow you should get some seed to soil contact.

I mowed my 2013 planted stuff last week. It's gonna get a shot of oust/ghly in a couple weeks.
My 2013 stuff looked good, 2014, looked nonexistent. I noticed big blue/ Indian is a lot slower than switch. I'm not real impress with the stand ability of cir switch

I mowed my 2013 planted stuff last week. It's gonna get a shot of oust/ghly in a couple weeks.
My 2013 stuff looked good, 2014, looked nonexistent. I noticed big blue/ Indian is a lot slower than switch. I'm not real impress with the stand ability of cir switch
Maybe you should try some of the stuff from Higgie, he swears it will withstand more snow and wind load than CIR and will maybe give you a bag for a trial if you talk nice about his products.:rolleyes:

I might have to, I have to get a good stand of bb/Indian.
There is many bb/Indian stands in my area, and I have seen them hold up pretty good most of the winter. I still wouldn't mind dabbing with that Higgins stuff. Eventually I'm gonna have around 80 acres of nwsg.
Im pretty sure a 60 acre stand is housing a monster nontypicial(legit 190" plus) with 3 massive drop times, on land I coyote hunt. the buck was 170" last year and he disappeared. I have one picture of him last July and my neighbor saw him a couple times last year. My buddy has a ton of pictures of him this year. It kinda seems like that nwsg gets tall and Lush and that buck disappears. I have a feeling that's where he is hiding because no one can kill him, and there is an army trying. Just not in the right spot I guess. I could probably get permission to Hunt that grass, but I'm not going to do that to my friends in his core area. No deer is worth loosing trust and friendship!

You need to check out the GRIN website for switchgrass types, not saying get the seed from there, but they have some info on stem diameter and plant height that is helpful in choosing a variety. I am working on a spreadsheet of the properties for the GRIN switch ascensions, but I haven't had a ton of time to devote to it yet, maybe this winter. I will eventually do the Big Blue and Indian grass as well, but that website is a bear to navigate and some of the selections have incomplete info.

My blue and Indian field falls over every year by the end of Nov. CIR fields only fall with heavy wet snow.

Can't tell u about DH stand-ability as this is the first year I've reaaly seen it established. I can tell you the claims about it being taller than CIR are true.

Any pics of the Higgins stuff? I thought I saw it was around $10/pound, which about the same as cir?

No pictures on hand. I'll be heading back to the farm in 2 weeks. I'll take some and post. I planted at Dons recommended rate. Which was light in my opinion I forget exactly what it was. 2 to 3 lbs seems familiar. But he said it gets more use if it's not to dense.

When I bought it it was about the same $ as CIR. But I've learned you can sometimes talk down the CIR price from John at oshenbaugh's.

I'm confused his "bedding in a bag" is the taller stuff in his video? That stuff looks pretty impressive, I will say that. He states it's switchgrass but than he states it's a fluffy seed? Which switchgrass isn't.
Bill-do u have that taller stuff? If u wouldn't mind snapping some pics. I'm wondering if it is buffalo grass?
I just don't like how he is concealing what it is. The price is reasonable. He just want to be the only guy to sell this grass.
I'll buy some, that's fine. I'll just harvest the seed I have, and keep adding acres. I would bet 2 acres worth of seed, could seed many many acres.

If you buy it, please post the seed tag, I was talking to a buddy and I might have a way to figure out what that seed is. I have asked before and have been waiting for someone who actually bought some to do this, but so far no one that has purchased any has posted a tag.

No I don't have the really tall stuff. I have RWSwitch. The other tall stuff, definitely has a variety of big blue in it. They swear it has good stand ability but I was afraid of it just based on my experience with run of the mill big blue.

I didn't save the seed tag.

Indian has just now bolted and flowered here. I took these Indian Pics today.

holy, that's some tall stuff! this is what ours looks like. I can't id grass well. I think it's predominantly Indian and big blue stem. it was beginning to rain so I didn't get the best picture.
e4756c4876231c669e1a88bd65f4715a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dipper how do you harvest your seed? also, when is the best time to do so? I'm guessing anytime in the fall would be ok?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How tall are u nh? ;)

im cheap, go spend the $$ big boy! I don't tell people how to save $ on this site$$$