My Scent Control Thread Ozone, Carbon, Smoker, or ???

My scent control regime is OCD at best. Shower each time. No scented laundry detergent ever or dryer sheets. My wife hates me. Lol. I also don't touch things with bare hands, always gloves and into the ozone cabinet or bag. I'm a firm believer in ozone when coupled with a good pre-hunt routine. I also use an Ozonics in the stand religiously. I will say, with all this, I haven't been busted by deer smelling me for years now. Maybe it's luck but, I've had a lot of deer downwind and mature deer at that. I rarely even worry about wind direction anymore. It's changed how I hunt

Do you wear cloves in the field? It seems never touching clothing would not help unless you didnt take you bare hands or any exposed skin with you to the stand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deer hunting is just like golf ... every guy thinks that new equipment will improve their game.

I like the concept of the ozone bag, may look into it. I have had great success with Rubbermaid tubes, and putting white & red cedar branches in. Wash the hunting clothes in no scent detergent. I have a no scent bag for in the back of my Kawi Mule to throw cloths in and put on when I start my trail to the stand.

I have some scent lok, scent XYZ, etc. clothing also.

I keep cedar/earth scent disks in my bow case, and all of my equipment is in a tube with cedar limbs also.

I also shower & brush my teeth every time time before I go out to hunt a stand. I have separate towels, underwear, socks, etc. that are washed in Tide Cheer just for hunting.

When I come in, I will hang my cloths outside to air them out before putting them in the tube.

If you feel that ozonics is the answer, then I am sure they will accept your money. I am just not sure how it will make that much of a difference over the above? The human body will give off sent eventually and you cannot eliminate that.

I think a A big area of focus is ... sound/movement & the wind.

I think many people burn out stands by using them too often, checking their cameras out there too often, bumping deer on their out, and hunting them in bad winds.

Regarding sound/movement, a deer's ears are amazing sound receptors. Any sound or movement on the way to the stand, getting into the stand, sitting in the stand can bounce a deer. Mature bucks often stage in transitional cover and will watch/listen to an area before entering.

I have 2 buddies who are amazing hunters. Between the 2 of them they probably have 5-6 bucks each in the 150" to 185" range and 1/2 have been with the bow. Yes they use scent control clothing, store their stuff in tubs with tree branches; however, what they won't do is hunt a stand in an area they have scouted a good buck in with the wrong wind.

Learn to hunt the wind and you will be amazed at how well your scent free cloths/ozonics work :emoji_wink:

I tend to agree with most of this and not sure where you hunt, but there is no way i can hunt the wind. I am very careful and only hunt most of my stands once a month. But, the good news is every 80 to 100 acre section of my place has everything a deer needs, and there is no reason as to where deer will come from or go today tomorrow or any day. It is good for lots of great deer but tough too. Again lots of great feedback in your post thanks!

I hate to tell you but you can not eliminate your scent profile. Maybe and a huge maybe you can reduce it but you will never eliminate it. I haven’t fallen for the marketing ploys yet. If you hunt the same stand 3 days in a row of course there is going to be a scent signature there. I’d be curious why the OP was busted. Did the deer come from behind you? Did they catch movement and move to an advantageous location? Was it marginal wind? Was your entry into the stand a place deer travel near? Did you walk thru vegetation? They very well may have seen you before you saw them. Once they see you in the tree of course they are going to investigate.

To answer some of your questions, the last time I hunted the stand i was busted in last was 3 years ago. I had been to it in summer to check and replace straps etc, but not over hunted. It sits on the edge of a 3 ac plot. Trees have grown up around it like a cock pit in a fighter jet - only get shots or even see deer from about 11 oclock to 1 oclock when facing toward 12 oclock. I cant tell you if anything saw me as i walked in the deer rarely come out and talk to me. But I got in the stand at 2:30 pm and saw the first of about 20 deer at 6 pm. As always they came from all directions - wind was about 4 mph out of the south steady. Ground is flat. I can tell you exactly why i was busted the doe was down wind of me 35 yards and i smelled like a human.

You say you were last busted 4 years ago. Do you believe you could have been busted during that time period and not known about it? Perhaps a mature deer walking out of your sight and caught your scent and simply changed direction and you never saw the buck or doe.

I do agree you are not going to eliminate all scent, but you can reduce it. The issue is the extent to which it has been reduced and is that enough to get you by on the day at issue.

Very valid points i am very concerned about ozone and breathing. How did you use it at home? It seems if all clothing were in a tote when used it would not bother you.

I have my clothes in an outside shed. The ozone machine is on a cheap mechanical timer set to run for about 2 hours between 10 PM and midnight. With a fan in the shed. The key is don’t go in while the ozone machine is running or for about an hour after. The left over smell of ozone won’t hurt your breathing. Active ozone can. O3 has a short half life before it turns back to O2. It’s also heavy so it fall quickly. My machine is high up in the shed and the fan helps keep it moving.

I don’t think a commercial ozone generator will work in a tote. To confined of an area and the Machine needs a source of fresh air. I use flexible dryer vent tubing through the wall then duct taped to the machines intake.

And I agree it’s not a silver bullet. I’ve been busted by deer that don’t play by the rules and come from down wind. But not as often as without ozone.

Very valid points i am very concerned about ozone and breathing. How did you use it at home? It seems if all clothing were in a tote when used it would not bother you.

I have my clothes in an outside shed. The ozone machine is on a cheap mechanical timer set to run for about 2 hours between 10 PM and midnight. With a fan in the shed. The key is don’t go in while the ozone machine is running or for about an hour after. The left over smell of ozone won’t hurt your breathing. Active ozone can. O3 has a short half life before it turns back to O2. It’s also heavy so it fall quickly. My machine is high up in the shed and the fan helps keep it moving.

I don’t think a commercial ozone generator will work in a tote. To confined of an area and the Machine needs a source of fresh air. I use flexible dryer vent tubing through the wall then duct taped to the machines intake.

Picture please

Had a spare room at the place I lived at the time. Essentially a enclosed front porch.

Set up a clothes rack of sorts and ran a box fan to circulate the ozone around. Cause otherwise the O3 molecules would settle at ground level due to density. Ozone is not effective in tight closed off spaces.

Tried to seal off the doorway as best I could and that stuff would still seep into the house through the walls.

Will say it worked.
Just was not for me.

Now I just play the thermals and wind game.

Most of the time I think when people believe they get by without getting busted with deer downwind is because the thermals are lifting.

But the final straw, everytime I took a shower in the am and went through the process. Then tried sneaking a half mile through a corn field to get my stand and was half drenched in sweat by the time I got there.
Just felt like I was spinning my tires and not getting anywhere.

Last edited:
I hate to tell you but you can not eliminate your scent profile. Maybe and a huge maybe you can reduce it but you will never eliminate it. I haven’t fallen for the marketing ploys yet. If you hunt the same stand 3 days in a row of course there is going to be a scent signature there. I’d be curious why the OP was busted. Did the deer come from behind you? Did they catch movement and move to an advantageous location? Was it marginal wind? Was your entry into the stand a place deer travel near? Did you walk thru vegetation? They very well may have seen you before you saw them. Once they see you in the tree of course they are going to investigate.

To answer some of your questions, the last time I hunted the stand i was busted in last was 3 years ago. I had been to it in summer to check and replace straps etc, but not over hunted. It sits on the edge of a 3 ac plot. Trees have grown up around it like a cock pit in a fighter jet - only get shots or even see deer from about 11 oclock to 1 oclock when facing toward 12 oclock. I cant tell you if anything saw me as i walked in the deer rarely come out and talk to me. But I got in the stand at 2:30 pm and saw the first of about 20 deer at 6 pm. As always they came from all directions - wind was about 4 mph out of the south steady. Ground is flat. I can tell you exactly why i was busted the doe was down wind of me 35 yards and i smelled like a human.

You say you were last busted 4 years ago. Do you believe you could have been busted during that time period and not known about it? Perhaps a mature deer walking out of your sight and caught your scent and simply changed direction and you never saw the buck or doe.

I absolutely could have been busted and didn’t know it and I would almost guarantee that to be the case more often then not. But for this threads sake I was interpreting getting busted as a deer doing the old turkey neck, let’s pretend we are eating and snap our head back to attention and stare a hole thru the hunter. Lick our noses and point it straight up in the the air and take giant whiffs. Or the stomp, blow, and turn inside out while trying to get away.

By your admission you are saying that deer come from all over at that stand. In that scenario I’d expect to get busted frequently. When you chase free range deer they sometimes go where you don’t want them.

Last edited:
I have a metal locker i keep all my gear in. Pipe ozone in. Boots, bow, clothes, binos, etc. It definitely helps.
Not having deer downwind also helps.

There is no doubt that ozone removes odors from inanimate objects. They use O3 for flood and fire cleanup inside of structures. They use O3 smokers to encapsulate things like smoke damaged wood on structures. But it does nothing to stop you from generating scent. We never really went into what causes odor or why we give off a certain smell. But O3 on your clothes or gear doesn’t do anything to stop the bacteria on your skin, or in your mouth from breaking down and causing odor.

There are numerous studies out there done with every product on the market vs a dog's nose. None, zero, zilch beat the dog. That alone tells you everything you need to know. There is no question after that. The story is over. Save your money, hunt the wind, pay attention to access routes, use natural things to your advantage to "block off" areas you don't want deer approaching from, and accept the fact that occasionally, deer will not cooperate and you will get busted.

I sat thru a seminar on how animals smell. It was pretty extensive, but the basics of it were people walk in the house and smell spaghetti cooking on the stove, an animal smells tomatoes, garlic, herbs, meat, noodles, all individually. So when you spray your scent eliminator spray, and your fox pee, and doe urine, the deer smells your scent spray, fox pee, doe urine, and YOU. None any less than the other

That being said, I do have a few pieces of scentlok and scent blocker clothing, but not for it's magical powers, only because I think they're nice gear.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I’ve had bad experiences with smokers. Scent lock too.
Since we started treating our clothes with ozone things got better and I’m a believer. An ozonics machine is a pain and doesn’t generate much ozone. $100 bucks on Amazon will get you a good generator to treat your clothes in a room. Just don’t breathe it in.

Playing the wind is still a must.
I’m with Bill, although I still run my Ozonics machine while in the tree too. I have three units at my farm; one for me and the others for guests. They’re expensive and kind of annoying, but to me they’re worth it. We also have an ozone closet and run it every morning before we hunt and again after we finish hunting in the evening. It works. I’m also an idiot and still run ScentLok/Blocker clothing as well. Our process is as follows:
1. Good hygiene with scent free soap
2. Scent free clothing wash for soiled clothes
3. Pre and post hunt treatment with ozone cabinet of all gear.
4. Run ozonics on downwind side of stand.
5. Hunt the right wind and thermals For each stand
6. Walk in as close to naked (base layers) as possible and dress at the base of the tree to avoid any sweating at all. Sounds crazy but it’s not. Also helps you stay warmer.

When hunting out of Redneck blinds we don’t run ozone and will more hunt marginal winds, but we only hunt with windows closed until the moment of truth in those situations. The blinds are incredible at containing scent. The above has drastically cut down on our rates of getting winded, even with deer down wind.

I’m with Bill, although I still run my Ozonics machine while in the tree too. I have three units at my farm; one for me and the others for guests. They’re expensive and kind of annoying, but to me they’re worth it. We also have an ozone closet and run it every morning before we hunt and again after we finish hunting in the evening. It works. I’m also an idiot and still run ScentLok/Blocker clothing as well. Our process is as follows:
1. Good hygiene with scent free soap
2. Scent free clothing wash for soiled clothes
3. Pre and post hunt treatment with ozone cabinet of all gear.
4. Run ozonics on downwind side of stand.
5. Hunt the right wind and thermals For each stand
6. Walk in as close to naked (base layers) as possible and dress at the base of the tree to avoid any sweating at all. Sounds crazy but it’s not. Also helps you stay warmer.

When hunting out of Redneck blinds we don’t run ozone and will more hunt marginal winds, but we only hunt with windows closed until the moment of truth in those situations. The blinds are incredible at containing scent. The above has drastically cut down on our rates of getting winded, even with deer down wind.

Very solid plan. Has anyone had breathing problems from using the unit that goes in the tree?

Very solid plan. Has anyone had breathing problems from using the unit that goes in the tree?

Not at all. We generally only hunt tree stands when there’s a breeze and the machine gets pointed with the breeze. You’ll catch hints of ozone but I’ve been running one for 6 years I think never had a bit of issue.

Some time has passed and I have spent many days in the tree since I first posted. So it is time to report back. I purchased the Scent Crusher Tote with ozone machine and a new set of Scent Lok base layers. I am not one to rave on and on about products or much of anything. I am generally blunt, matter of fact and to the point. But, I can not say enough about this combination. I can’t tell you which is better, but since combining them I have had deer downwind of me pretty much every day. Thus far not a single deer has even raised a nose, made a sound or displayed any body language that would suggest it was getting any of my scent. There is no doubt my old scent lok had seen better days, but there is also no doubt that ozone is the real deal. I didn’t wash any of my cloths after getting the ozone. I did activate the Scent Lok. I simply treated everything other than boots and bow with ozone for 10 minutes. Now every time I come in the woods I treat everything 10 minutes then store in scent free extra large totes. I think being able to treat my release strap, backpack, etc really helped. I have always been a scent free nut, but this combo is a new level. I would highly recommend this combo to anyone.

I will also add these were not simply yearlings and two year old deer. There are not many who have more 5 plus year old bucks and does running around then I do. A lot of people hunt better genetics and bigger bucks over all, but I will put my age structure up against most anyone hunting free ranging deer. To fool to this level is previously unknown to me.

Some time has passed and I have spent many days in the tree since I first posted. So it is time to report back. I purchased the Scent Crusher Tote with ozone machine and a new set of Scent Lok base layers. I am not one to rave on and on about products or much of anything. I am generally blunt, matter of fact and to the point. But, I can not say enough about this combination. I can’t tell you which is better, but since combining them I have had deer downwind of me pretty much every day. Thus far not a single deer has even raised a nose, made a sound or displayed any body language that would suggest it was getting any of my scent. There is no doubt my old scent lok had seen better days, but there is also no doubt that ozone is the real deal. I didn’t wash any of my cloths after getting the ozone. I did activate the Scent Lok. I simply treated everything other than boots and bow with ozone for 10 minutes. Now every time I come in the woods I treat everything 10 minutes then store in scent free extra large totes. I think being able to treat my release strap, backpack, etc really helped. I have always been a scent free nut, but this combo is a new level. I would highly recommend this combo to anyone.

It really isn't about which product is "better". Its all about minimizing each and every odor as best as you can. The accumulative effect produces a much improved end result.
I'm a firm believer in O3, carbon clothes, combined with meticulous handling of gear and extreme hygiene. It all adds up.
I get away with stuff that I never could before I started this regimen.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Anything you can do to reduce your scent is helpful. Nothing is more helpful than having the wind in your favor.

The more I do to decrease my scent, the closer I get to deer. I am a big fan of washing and airing out my clothes and getting as high up in a tree as possible.