My patients is thin today.

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
Normally, I am only hunting one buck. This year we have a lot of old mature bucks that are good but not great. Three of the bucks I would shoot this year were in this 1.3 acre food plot yesterday and the day before. I was certain I would get a crack at one of the this afternoon. So far I have not seen a deer which is very very rare for me.

No matter what they say, the use of cell cams, traditional game cams, hunting blinds, high tech bows and lots of other fancy gadgets can not predict with certainty when a buck will come in shooting range. I guess that us what I love and hate this thing we call hunting :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've said it before, but game cams have ruined my meat hunter.
Hope you get a chance at one of your target bucks, good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yep it's frustrating as all get out at times. Especially this time of year when normal goes right out the window.

Don't wait this long into the season:^)

Don't wait this long into the season:^)

Some truth to that. I have done it both ways. One year I killed a 170 plus buck the first afternoon in the stand. It was October 18. I spent the rest of the season bird hunting, “guiding” guests, working on doe management, and just having fun. It was one of my funnest season ever. I have also killed really really really late in the season and that was rewarding, but it takes a different level of dedication to do that. I was really only hunting one buck that year and I got him, but dang it was a long road to hoe.

I killed a good buck this year. But, it was the only buck I was going to punch a tag for this year, and last. I'm glad it's over, the season hasn't been as fun, until that last day! Ready to start a new chapter.

I've been looking for this buck since hard antler.Season has been open since Oct 5 and I've been out practical every day. I have seen him once at 11:08am when he ran across the road. I sat in blinds countless hours, still hunted the woods where I think he might be and tried rattling him up...nothing. Can be exasperating.

IMG_0001.JPG

I've been looking for this buck since hard antler.Season has been open since Oct 5 and I've been out practical every day. I have seen him once at 11:08am when he ran across the road. I sat in blinds countless hours, still hunted the woods where I think he might be and tried rattling him up...nothing. Can be exasperating.

View attachment 21665

Well I would keep looking for him :). Worth the effort.

Well, I have an update I did shoot a 7.5 year old buck that I was looking for yesterday. He wasn’t the biggest I have ever shot by far, probably a 140-145 inch 8 point. But, what made it more enjoyable than the size of any antlers was the history. He has a very unique rack, and always has had it. I have many many pics of this buck over the years. He isn’t one that you get 1-3 pics of per year. I probably get 150 pics of this buck a year easy. But, no one in my circle of friends had ever seen him before yesterday. I mean not during hunting season, after or before hunting season, daylight or dark. No sittings that I know of, period. I had learned he always comes to a food source two days in a row, but never three. But, anytime I hunted where I thought he would be he never came that second afternoon. He never moved in the mornings to my knowledge. I don’t have a single pic of him in the morning. Only night and afternoon.

Yesterday, I took a chance that he would come to a plot he frequents regularity when I am not there :). We have a good access road leading to the 1.3 acre plot that we built when we pushed over trees and created the plot. We always enter the plot on that road - except yesterday.

I decided to come into the plot from a different direction and walk a drain up to the plot. It would concede me until I entered the plot, and then I had to go 15 yards to get in my elevated blind.

This buck almost always enters the plots between 3:00 and 3:15 pm according to the photos I get. Yesterday, at 3:00 p.m. I saw him stand up on the east end of the plot. He was bedded watching the access road. If I had walked down the road or any other person, all he had to do was take 2-3 steps and down over a very steep hillside he would be and out of sight before anyone was the wiser. The way he was bedded he could see the road, but anyone coming down the road could not see him before he could see the person.

At 3:00 p.m. yesterday, I saw him stand from his bed and I knew then he had probably been watching us many times. He entered the plot and by 3:05 p.m. it was over. Had he been bedded 5-7 yards further to the south he would have seen me walk that last 15 yards “probably”, but he was in a low spot and could not see over a mound of dirt we left when we built the plot.

I wanted to watch him longer, but when you see a buck for the first time ever that several have hunted and no one has ever seen, you don’t want to give that ghost an out.

Awesome story and congrats!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing. Sounds awesome!!! CNt wait to see a pic of this wise buck.

Awesome. Post up a pic of that bad boy.

Here is a photo of him. Again, not that impressive with regard to score, but got to give it to a buck that can go 7.5 years without anyone ever seeing him during or out of season. When you first see a buck like that it is as if you are seeing a ghost. IMG_4899.JPG

Man what a beast! His body is so big he looks like a hamster....

Congradulations on outsmarting that old dude!
Pretty amazing the way he had the hunters patterned.

Man what a beast! His body is so big he looks like a hamster....

Congradulations on outsmarting that old dude!
Pretty amazing the way he had the hunters patterned.

That pic is from early October before he put on extra weight. It is the only pic I had on this I pad. I look at so many pics I rarely save any. I saved this one to make sure everyone knew this was a buck I wanted shot if possible.

As they say, good things come to those who wait. Congrats, that is a great deer (and a great story!).