My New bow review - Mathews Halon 32-6

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
So I got my new bow today. First a little background. I don't buy a new bow very often. I began bowhunting in 1979. My first bow was a Bear Whitetail 2. A couple years later I moved into a Bear Alaskan. That bow was a workout. It had a 75 lb draw with a 35% letoff if memory serves me correct. A few years later I bought a Hoyt Gamegetter. I loved that bow and shot it until it literally wore out. I'd guess I had it twenty years. In 2005 or 2006 I bought a Browing Oasis. It was made by PSE I believe. Starting today it's my new backup bow. I had it set at 67 lbs but had some shoulder trouble this year so I backed it down to 55 lbs and have been shooting it almost every day as I've worked on rebuilding some strength. I had planned on a new bow this year but didn't want to spend the money until I knew my shoulder was okay. The closest local bow shop, Summit Archery in Grey Summit, MO, are just great people. They helped me through the process of adjusting my old bow and talked to me a lot about new bows when I asked. They were very patient with me as a customer when I went through the decision process. I looked at several bows but when I shot the Mathews, Halon 32-6 I just really liked it. None of the bows I've had before were what I'd call top of the line bows but they were all quality enough for me and my abilities.

I was just really impressed with the Mathews bow so after shooting it on two different occasions I went ahead and ordered one. I have a 77 inch wing span from fingertip to fingertip and they measured me and put me in a 31 inch draw bow, which is what my last bow was too. I went with the Halon 32-6 over the 32-7 just because I shot the 32-6 really well when I test drove it.

Last edited:
000243C4-B909-4DE4-8F75-D429E863273C.JPG 86847727-D312-49DF-A5EF-C0C176678D74.JPG I bought the 70 lb bow but have it set right now at 60 lbs with 85% letoff. It really is so much smoother than my old bow and while I haven't chronographed it yet it's definitely quick. At 60 lbs it pulls as easy as my old bow did at 55. The back wall is so much more solid than what I'm used to. When I was setting the peep sight it almost felt like I had to push the string to get it to let off. I put a Montana Black Gold Revenge sight on it. That too is so much better than what I'm used to. The pins are quite bright and I really love the micro adjust gang settings. I haven't fine tuned it yet but I did get it pretty close at 20 yards and then shot it at 25 (using my 20 yard pin), 30, 40 and 50 yards. I'll shoot it a couple more times to get consistent and comfortable with it and then really dial it in. After one day I'm really impressed. Is it worth the extra money compared to other bows? Maybe, maybe not. I could've used my old bow for years and it would have been more than adequate. This was certainly a "want" more than a "need" but I do like it a lot.

Last edited:
AB4B4D28-56AD-479D-BECA-81F310781A2B.JPG And of course, as I was shooting on the outdoor range a doe and her two fawns decided to check me out.

Take care of that shoulder.... I lost my ability to use my vertical bow and I miss it. Maybe someday (not likely, but it's fun to dream).

-John

I hear you John. The reason I put off the new bow all summer was because I didn't want to make the investment until I knew I was going to be able to use it. It's also why I'm keeping it at 60 lbs for now. I'm not against the crossbows. I just didn't want to have to make that switch. I love hunting and shooting with all my guns but the bow has always been where my passion begins. I'll miss it too when that day comes - but I'm also willing to adapt when I need to.

60# is all a guy needs. The more poundage and speed a guy shoots the more it accents shooting flaws. I would rather be shooting quarters at 20 yards than reaching out to 80.

Nice bow and some good shooting in that pic

60# is all a guy needs. The more poundage and speed a guy shoots the more it accents shooting flaws. I would rather be shooting quarters at 20 yards than reaching out to 80.

Agreed, especially with the newer bows over the last ten or twenty years. These things at 55 or 60 pounds are so much more bow. I find it amazing what technology has done. It's made them so much easier to shoot.

I used to shoot a Martian Scepter. Years ago, I walked into a Mathews dealership. With zero intention to buy, the dealer happened to have a Switchback set up in my draw length and I decided to shoot it just for kicks. What a mistake. I left with a much lighter wallet. Don't shot a Mathews unless you are ready to buy it! I will say that this was long ago when Mathews was further ahead of the competition than today.

Thanks,

jack

I used to shoot a Martian Scepter. Years ago, I walked into a Mathews dealership. With zero intention to buy, the dealer happened to have a Switchback set up in my draw length and I decided to shoot it just for kicks. What a mistake. I left with a much lighter wallet. Don't shot a Mathews unless you are ready to buy it! I will say that this was long ago when Mathews was further ahead of the competition than today.

Thanks,

jack

The switchback is still iconic for Mathews. It's probably one of the best bows ever made.

I myself bought a halon 6 last year. It took me a bit to get used to it. I shoot it pretty well but it's a little on the heavy side once it's all rigged out. I will say this... I bought it for the speed and how it holds on the back wall along with a really comfortable string angle and all those things make it a nice bow to own and why it's one of the better bows from 2016. I wish it was lighter and a little warmer to hold on cold days. But those are just minor details. I get caught in some awkward positions in the tree stand at times...... overall the halon line, I think was a big boost for Mathews. Anyone who owns one will like it and I think it has a chance to be this decades "switchback"

Agree with the statement that the halon 32 is this generations switchback. I bought the switch in 2005 and have waited for something worthy of replacing it. Was a long wait until I shot the halon. 20 minutes later I was down a grand. Great shooting bow that is absolutely dead in hand

Thanks,

jack

Same thing happened to me with the Halon 6. Bought an HTR in 2015 for its quiet shot, smooth draw, dead in the hands feel and consistent accuracy. Thought I had my "forever" bow. Went to the bow shop when the Halons were released and said what the hell, might as well shoot one because there's no way it can be as good as my HTR. Well, 30 minutes later I had $1000 less in my bank account. I absolutely love my 2016 Halon and agree with the comment about them being the Switchback of this era. At 27.5" DL, shooting a 412 gr arrow, at 70 lbs, I'm shooting 309 fps and this thing is whisper quiet, dead in the hands and crazy accurate. Gonna be hard to top the Halon series bows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow - love hearing all those great reports. I'm already pleased with my purchase but it's nice to have my opinions on the bow validated by others.

B9A12A1D-EFD5-4E2C-A78A-4EBFC2FA47D8.JPG BE8BF6BF-D73C-4027-A628-5B3E6A3DA1A6.jpg Okay, I've had the bow a few days now and felt comfortable enough with it to work on getting it dialed in. I also did a chronograph test. First of all, I will never again chuckle to myself about some guy being a bow snob because he's touting his new top of the line bow. I've never shot a bow this smooth. I totally get why guys are so high on their "fancy bows". While I still believe it's the archer not the arrow there's also no substitute for quality equipment.

Chrono test first - I'm shooting 447 grain arrows at 60 lbs with a 31 inch draw. My browning Oasis at 67 lbs with the same arrows and draw length was getting 264 fps last year. I was hoping for 270-275 out of this one. It honestly doesn't feel this fast. I guess there's something to be said for smooth.

I know we could argue all day about speed, momentum and kinetic energy but using the Grim Reaper kinetic energy calculator I'm at roughly 82 ft lbs of kinetic energy. That ought to be enough.

Last edited:
Now to get it dialed in. I learned this trick a while back. Two pieces of tape - one vertical and one horizontal. First you take the vertical tape and aim the whole vertical gang on the tape at whatever yardage you choose. I started at 15 yards. Level the bow, line up the sight through the peep and just focus on keeping the whole gang in the vertical tape. The micro adjust gangs on the Black Gold Revenge sight made this so easy.

93740600-7952-45E6-AC91-B84BCAAA9D04.JPG EEBB44D1-6ED2-4AC1-95B7-DD7EC9666087.JPG

Last edited:
I then adjusted each individual pin at their desired yardage. My first pin, for now at least, is dead on at 23 yards. That should allow me to hold for a low heart shot all the way out to 25 yards based on my limited practice with the bow thus far. I'm sure I'll tweak that over the next month or so. I then set pins for 30, 40, 50 and 55 yards (that's the maximum I can shoot at the local outdoor range as well as the range at my campground). I've always had a self imposed 30 yard limit on deer but I have to say I'm really confident right now in my new setup. I know I've posted some pictures of my targets before but today I just shot ridiculously well for me. Granted it's 82 degrees and calm today - and just like my golf game - I'm a heck of a range player but it's not the same as the pressure of the moment when a shot really counts. Still, it's nice to get good results and build confidence. This is only one group and it's only a three arrow group because I broke one nock today at 30 yards. I only shot a few arrows at a time from then on out. Good practice sessions are expensive. This is my second group at 50 yards after making an adjustment. I love the micro adjust pins and the brightness of the Black Gold sight is terrific.

4E831292-0F35-4561-BEF3-B912622E0083.JPG

So to summarize, The bow is fast, smooth and forgiving. I love it. The Montana Black Gold Revenge sight is also very nice and worth the money in my mind at this point. Feel free to call me a bow snob but all the technology of the new bows is not hype. I'm impressed.

I took my broadhead block target to the range today and shot my three practice heads and one actual broadhead. I've always been a fixed broadhead guy but my son really liked the grim reapers when he started hunting and his bow shot them right with his field tips. I switched to grim reapers along with him last year and killed my archery deer with the 2" Whitetail special. Today was the first attempt using them with my new bow.

First I shot the three practice tips and they were very close at 20, 30 and 40 yards. I then took the same broadhead and arrow I used to kill my deer last year and shot it several times at 40 yards. I only took about 15 shots total with the practice heads and the broadhead but the early indications are I won't need to do any significant tuning. I'm still getting comfortable with the new bow and setup though so I plan to just keep practicing for a few more weeks before I get really serious about broadheads. Mostly I was just curious how they'd shoot.

I'm really spending most of my practice time at 50 yards for now and although I don't see my 20 yard groups shrinking much I'm seeing a huge impact in my 40 yard groups. I think the best thing about the new bow is the drive to really practice. I felt like I practiced a lot last year but between trying to strengthen my sore shoulder and the new bow I've probably thrown more arrows down range this year than all of last summer. Funny how that works.

Last edited:
I went looking yesterday for a new bow and came home with the Halon, I shot many different ones and it by far was smoother than the others. I didn't know what I would find that I liked.

I went looking yesterday for a new bow and came home with the Halon, I shot many different ones and it by far was smoother than the others. I didn't know what I would find that I liked.

That, to me, was what I continue to notice it just feels smoother and easier to shoot at 60 than my old one was dropped down to 55 lbs. Smooth is the best word to describe it. I hope you like it as much as I do.