My Man Cub got his first buck

roymunson

5 year old buck +
After getting back from 10 days in colorado, I figured I'd let my hunting lay a little bit and take care at home. But my better half said she thought it'd be a good idea to spend some time with my oldest, who finally gets to be the trigger guy this year.

So we rolled out Saturday evening to the blind overlooking the new alfalfa/Chicory plot I planted this spring.

We had deer in it almost immediately, and his self imposed threshold was "anything bigger than a 4 point".

Well, a year old 8 point came by, thru a window we weren't ready to shoot out of, and he didn't get on him. After an emotional dump and being bummed, I told him to wait. This alfalfa plot serves as a staging area as they head into a beans field.

Sure enough, we soon had 4 bucks in the plot. 2 small ones, a 115" 8 point, and a 145" or so 12 pt that I knew.

The smaller bucks started past us and I told him if he wants to shoot the big one he may have a chance. Nope, he was very satisfied to shoot the first buck with more than 4 points to come by. And I was fine with that.

Shot this guy at 25 yards, ended up being slightly quartered to but the arrow blew right thru him.

We didn't have a ton of blood, so we decided to come back Sunday after church. I didn't have tracking help and mom and 3 little boys aren't very much help either, so I called a buddy of a buddy who has a little 1/2 dachund and 1/2 jack russel Terrior tracking dog. Put the little guy on a leash and he took off down the trail from last blood. About 50 yards into the woods, he made a sharp right hand turn and walked right up to the thing. He'd got down wind and got us right to the deer. I may or may not have found it, but the guy was super gracious and happy to help a kid find his first deer. Great phone number to have in your phone.

Needless to say, it was a proud dad moment for me, and Boone was pretty proud to get his first deer.

Attachments

• IMG_2477.jpeg
    IMG_2477.jpeg
    738.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2478.jpg
    IMG_2478.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2497.jpg
    IMG_2497.jpg
    782.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2495.jpg
    IMG_2495.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2498.jpg
    IMG_2498.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2474.jpeg
    IMG_2474.jpeg
    498.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2472.jpeg
    IMG_2472.jpeg
    455.8 KB · Views: 51
Nice job and good shot! Looks like you've got a couple more itching for their turns.

Congrats to your son!

Thats fantastic, thanks for sharing story & pics. First deer/buck is always a lifetime memory. Great pics too!

Nice job and good shot! Looks like you've got a couple more itching for their turns.
Ya, the other 2 thought the tracking part was pretty cool. Middle brother has asked me every night since when I'm gonna take him with me.

You will remember that hunt for the rest of your life! Great memory to share with your kids. It's also good that he got to see the ups and downs of deer hunting. Hopefully you have many more hunts to share down the road!!!

I’m proud of the fact that the young man is a realist. Snag the one that will make you happy over hoping for something that might not work out! Good job!

That's awesome. The best hunt I've ever had is when my son shot his first buck.

His first buck, with a bow no less, it a trophy in my book, regardless of size! More important, he waited for a good shot angle. That discipline speaks volumes about his character and your mentoring!

CONGRATS!

Congratulations to Cub! Always enjoy seeing a youngster have success in the outdoors! Nice buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice first buck! Congrats to you both..absolutely love the kid pics.

Congrats to you guys! Awesome! Heck of a way to get started!

Great job!! Proud Dad moment for sure, well deserved bud!
Congrats to your son!!

Congrats to you and your son. Love those pics. Memories to last a lifetime!