My little Piggy

I can see it now!!!!!
green acres.jpg

I am making the most of my land and enjoying the h*ll out of it. Deer or no deer. Not completely sure yet but my money would be on the 40lb pig vs a coyote
Wow, I need to wager with you. Wild animals against a immature domestic pig?

Go for it maybe they won't be a problem.

I think disease may kill your pigs before any coyote.

This was a "what if" exercise and now I have to do it Jerry. :D We definitely have coyotes around. Mr. Woodduck you have experience with pigs. Where would your money be put?
Would not trust the yotes , Hogs are pretty disease resistant and can consume things that would kill us and be fat and sassy , Its amazing what and how much they can consume and have no problems , Buy the feeders get them eating well , worm med. about 2 weeks later and off to the races, old timer called hogs mortgage lifters for a reason , Many small farms were paid off in full in the 60s and 70s with them , now its all industrialized hog factories , the little family guys don't fit now

Disease resistant......Hogs?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Common Hog Diseases & Some Possible Options for Treatment

• Anemia: Most common in newborn pigs, especially where there isn't enough iron or copper in the soil. Symptoms include difficulty breathing, weakness and lethargy, swelling around the head and shoulders, loss of appetite. Treatment involves giving the affected animal a nutritional supplement. Treatment at one to three days of age.

TREATMENT:
    #540565 Iron Dextran 100 mg
    #540567 Iron Dextran 200 mg
    • Arthritis: You can incur heavy losses of hogs from this disease, which has different causes including Streptococcus bacteria, erysipelas and injury. You should avoid keeping your hogs on damp, cold or rough surfaces as these may contribute to arthritis. Symptoms include lameness, swollen, hardened joints and stunted growth. Treatable with antibiotics if caught in the early stages. There is a vaccine available to protect against arthritis caused by erysipelas and Streptococcus.

VACCINATION:
      #540668 Emulsibac SS (Strep)
      #540523 Rinogen BPE (Erysipelas)
    • Bordatella Rhinitis: Caused by atrophic rhinitis, which is an infection of the nasal cavity of hogs by Bordetella bronchiseptica, an organism that gets onto open scratches or wounds in the nose or mouth. It can be transmitted from sow to piglet. Symptoms include rough hair, wrinkled snout, sneezing and a general failure to thrive. Treatment with antibiotics may be effective. A vaccine is available, which would be even better than treatment. Vaccination is indicated for sows and gilts pre-farrowing, baby pigs 5 to 7 days old, feeder pigs and boars.

VACCINATION:
      #540523 Rinogen BPE
    • Circovirus: Porcine Circovirus Disease (PCVD) or Circo is a viral disease that has become a major problem in the United States. Caused by Porcine Circovirus Type 2 (PCV2), not all pigs develop clinical signs of the disease but most swine are infected. Symptoms, duration and mortality can vary by herd. Symptoms can include enlarged lymph nodes, skin rashes, difficulty breathing, jaundice, fever, stomach ulcers and diarrhea. Risks include poor growth, weight loss and weakness with increased chance of mortality between 5 to 14 weeks. Vaccinate at three weeks of age and older.

VACCINATION:
      #545520 Ingelvac CircoFLEX
      #541625 Circumvent PCV
      Combination vaccine:
      #541631 Circumvent PCV M (Circovirus & Mycoplasmal Pneumonia)
    • Clostridium Enteritis: This disease is found among piglets less than a week old and is caused by the bacterium Clostridium perfringens Type C. Symptoms include yellow, pasty diarrhea, weakness and trying to be near a warm place. It is spread through piglet to piglet contact and infected feces of the sow. Treatment with antibiotics, but most survivors will be permanently stunted. Vaccination indicated for healthy, pregnant sows and gilts prior to farrowing.

VACCINATION:
      #540226 Litterguard LT-C
    • Erysipelas: This very common hog disease is caused by the bacterium Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae, found in almost every pig farm. Up to half of the animals may carry it in their tonsils. It's always there in the pig or in its environment since it is present and spread through saliva, feces or urine. It's rare for piglets under 3 months old to get it because they have a natural immunity from their mothers. It comes on suddenly and the first sign you may see of this disease is one or more dead hogs. There may be raised, reddened areas on the skin called diamonds which turn black after about a week and eventually heal. This disease may be acute or chronic. It is most often caused by poor hygiene. Treatment is penicillin. A vaccine is available to be given at 3 weeks of age and older.

VACCINATION:
      #540516 ER Bac Plus
      #540867 Suvaxyn E-Oral
      Combination vaccine:
      #540515 FarrowSure Gold B (Parvovirus, Erysipelas and 6 strains of Leptospirosis)
    • Flu: Yes, this is the same swine flu that people get. In fact Swine Influenza Virus can be passed by infected pigs, birds or humans. This disease can be dramatic with a rapid onset in 12 to 48 hours. Symptoms include coughing, fever loss of appetite and pneumonia. Infertility can result in sows and the high fevers can cause abortions. Vaccination of healthy swine 3 weeks and older is indicated.

VACCINATION:
      #543226 FluSure XP
    • Ileitis: A common ailment in swine of all ages and especially in pigs that have been recently weaned. Symptoms include inflammation of the small and/or large intestine, diarrhea and stomach distress. Stress is often listed as a cause for this illness. Vaccination of swine 3 weeks of age and older through drinking water.

VACCINATION:
      #540862 Enterisol Ileitis
    • Leptospirosis: Caused by the bacterium Leptospira. The main symptoms include loss of condition and reproduction problems. It's difficult to eradicate once started among your hogs. It is spread by mouth, urine, wallows, feed, water, venereal transmission and contaminated surfaces. Treatment with antibiotics. There is a combination vaccine available.

COMBINATION VACCINATION:
      #540515 FarrowSure Gold B (Parvovirus, erysipelas and 6 strains of Leptospirosis)
    • Porcine Parvovirus: This one is probably the most common cause of infectious infertility in hogs. There are rarely any clinical symptoms except stillbirths, mummified piglets and small litters due to loss of embryos in the womb. Unlike most viral infections, Porcine Parvovirus can live in soil and on surfaces for months. To complicate matters even more, it's resistant to most disinfectants. Once a pig has had it, there is a lifelong immunity. There is no treatment, but combination vaccine.

Combination vaccine:
      #540517 FarrowSure Gold (Parvovirus, erysipelas and 5 strains of Leptospirosis)
    • PRRS: Porcine Reproductive & Respiratory Syndrome. Production losses can be attributed to reduction in farrowing rate, reduced number of live births/increased stillbirths, poor reproduction in gilts and early farrowing. Symptoms include a reluctance to drink, loss of appetite in sows at farrowing, blueing of the ears, respiratory signs and coughing, no milk and lethargy. This disease first classified in 1991. A vaccination is available.

VACCINATION:
      #540525 Ingelvac PRRS-MLV
      Combination vaccine:
      #540528 ReproCyc PRRS-PLE (PRRS, Parvovirus, erysipelas and 5 strains of Leptospirosis)
    • Rotavirus: Rotavirus is widespread in almost all pig populations. Symptoms include diarrhea, dehydration, sunken eyes and wasting. The skin around the rectum is sometimes wet. Rotavirus is usually caused by poor hygiene, temperature fluctuations and contaminated boots and clothing. Vaccination indicated for healthy pregnant sows and gilts.

VACCINATION:
      #540522 ProSystem Rota
    Scours (E. coli/Clostridium perfringens type C): Scours or baby pig diarrhea is the most common disease among baby pigs. While scours can occur at any age during nursing, there are often two peak periods- before 5 days and between 7 and 14 days. Scours causes severe production losses as well as substantial death losses. Vaccination indicated for healthy, pregnant sows and gilts prior to farrowing.

TREATMENT:
    #540226 Litterguard LT-C
    #540521 Prosystem CE

Most of disease mentioned is pre feeder and a good majority left are factory farm problems , infection and spread by high stocking rates common in high confinement , have been doing this for many years and do not vaccinate and have had no problems .

Disease resistant......Hogs?

John-are you looking for a job ?

In all truth, I agree with wooduck. There are few problems if you buy pigs at about 40 pounds. You would need to worm them and get a vaccination for erysipelas into them. Might need to worm them again. Keep them isolated from other pigs and equipment.

In my opinion, when we have domestic animals they should be checked once or twice a day to give them proper care. It is our responsibility as pet owners or livestock owners. With the exception of beef cattle on pasture, of course. After calving they can be low maintenance IF fences, water sources, and pasture are well maintained and monitored.

I work with a few backyard, small operators, but have no knowledge of the current vaccines used in large, commercial operations.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Common Hog Diseases & Some Possible Options for Treatment

• Anemia: Most common in newborn pigs, especially where there isn't enough iron or copper in the soil. Symptoms include difficulty breathing, weakness and lethargy, swelling around the head and shoulders, loss of appetite. Treatment involves giving the affected animal a nutritional supplement. Treatment at one to three days of age.

TREATMENT:
    #540565 Iron Dextran 100 mg
    #540567 Iron Dextran 200 mg
    • Arthritis: You can incur heavy losses of hogs from this disease, which has different causes including Streptococcus bacteria, erysipelas and injury. You should avoid keeping your hogs on damp, cold or rough surfaces as these may contribute to arthritis. Symptoms include lameness, swollen, hardened joints and stunted growth. Treatable with antibiotics if caught in the early stages. There is a vaccine available to protect against arthritis caused by erysipelas and Streptococcus.

VACCINATION:
      #540668 Emulsibac SS (Strep)
      #540523 Rinogen BPE (Erysipelas)
    • Bordatella Rhinitis: Caused by atrophic rhinitis, which is an infection of the nasal cavity of hogs by Bordetella bronchiseptica, an organism that gets onto open scratches or wounds in the nose or mouth. It can be transmitted from sow to piglet. Symptoms include rough hair, wrinkled snout, sneezing and a general failure to thrive. Treatment with antibiotics may be effective. A vaccine is available, which would be even better than treatment. Vaccination is indicated for sows and gilts pre-farrowing, baby pigs 5 to 7 days old, feeder pigs and boars.

VACCINATION:
      #540523 Rinogen BPE
    • Circovirus: Porcine Circovirus Disease (PCVD) or Circo is a viral disease that has become a major problem in the United States. Caused by Porcine Circovirus Type 2 (PCV2), not all pigs develop clinical signs of the disease but most swine are infected. Symptoms, duration and mortality can vary by herd. Symptoms can include enlarged lymph nodes, skin rashes, difficulty breathing, jaundice, fever, stomach ulcers and diarrhea. Risks include poor growth, weight loss and weakness with increased chance of mortality between 5 to 14 weeks. Vaccinate at three weeks of age and older.

VACCINATION:
      #545520 Ingelvac CircoFLEX
      #541625 Circumvent PCV
      Combination vaccine:
      #541631 Circumvent PCV M (Circovirus & Mycoplasmal Pneumonia)
    • Clostridium Enteritis: This disease is found among piglets less than a week old and is caused by the bacterium Clostridium perfringens Type C. Symptoms include yellow, pasty diarrhea, weakness and trying to be near a warm place. It is spread through piglet to piglet contact and infected feces of the sow. Treatment with antibiotics, but most survivors will be permanently stunted. Vaccination indicated for healthy, pregnant sows and gilts prior to farrowing.

VACCINATION:
      #540226 Litterguard LT-C
    • Erysipelas: This very common hog disease is caused by the bacterium Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae, found in almost every pig farm. Up to half of the animals may carry it in their tonsils. It's always there in the pig or in its environment since it is present and spread through saliva, feces or urine. It's rare for piglets under 3 months old to get it because they have a natural immunity from their mothers. It comes on suddenly and the first sign you may see of this disease is one or more dead hogs. There may be raised, reddened areas on the skin called diamonds which turn black after about a week and eventually heal. This disease may be acute or chronic. It is most often caused by poor hygiene. Treatment is penicillin. A vaccine is available to be given at 3 weeks of age and older.

VACCINATION:
      #540516 ER Bac Plus
      #540867 Suvaxyn E-Oral
      Combination vaccine:
      #540515 FarrowSure Gold B (Parvovirus, Erysipelas and 6 strains of Leptospirosis)
    • Flu: Yes, this is the same swine flu that people get. In fact Swine Influenza Virus can be passed by infected pigs, birds or humans. This disease can be dramatic with a rapid onset in 12 to 48 hours. Symptoms include coughing, fever loss of appetite and pneumonia. Infertility can result in sows and the high fevers can cause abortions. Vaccination of healthy swine 3 weeks and older is indicated.

VACCINATION:
      #543226 FluSure XP
    • Ileitis: A common ailment in swine of all ages and especially in pigs that have been recently weaned. Symptoms include inflammation of the small and/or large intestine, diarrhea and stomach distress. Stress is often listed as a cause for this illness. Vaccination of swine 3 weeks of age and older through drinking water.

VACCINATION:
      #540862 Enterisol Ileitis
    • Leptospirosis: Caused by the bacterium Leptospira. The main symptoms include loss of condition and reproduction problems. It's difficult to eradicate once started among your hogs. It is spread by mouth, urine, wallows, feed, water, venereal transmission and contaminated surfaces. Treatment with antibiotics. There is a combination vaccine available.

COMBINATION VACCINATION:
      #540515 FarrowSure Gold B (Parvovirus, erysipelas and 6 strains of Leptospirosis)
    • Porcine Parvovirus: This one is probably the most common cause of infectious infertility in hogs. There are rarely any clinical symptoms except stillbirths, mummified piglets and small litters due to loss of embryos in the womb. Unlike most viral infections, Porcine Parvovirus can live in soil and on surfaces for months. To complicate matters even more, it's resistant to most disinfectants. Once a pig has had it, there is a lifelong immunity. There is no treatment, but combination vaccine.

Combination vaccine:
      #540517 FarrowSure Gold (Parvovirus, erysipelas and 5 strains of Leptospirosis)
    • PRRS: Porcine Reproductive & Respiratory Syndrome. Production losses can be attributed to reduction ......

• VACCINATION:
      #540522 ProSystem Rota
    Scours (E. coli/Clostridium perfringens type C): Scours or baby pig diarrhea is the most common disease among baby pigs. While scours can occur at any age during nursing, there are often two peak periods- before 5 days and between 7 and 14 days. Scours causes severe production losses as well as substantial death losses. Vaccination indicated for healthy, pregnant sows and gilts prior to farrowing.

TREATMENT:
    #540226 Litterguard LT-C
    #540521 Prosystem CE

I agree the heavier the weight, the less chance of any problems. We raised Feeders to Fats for years when the kids were young. Rarely had a problem when buying at 50Lbs.

The biggest problem back then was buying a feeder for $15, feeding it for a $100 and getting $100 when they were done. 2 years of that, ended anymore so called Mortgage lifters at this place.

But if butchered at the end instead of sold wholesale? Or can an individual buy a whole hog for market rate pretty easily?

Therein lies the problem feed what it takes to finish and the margin is slim to say the least , common with all ag commodity low margins and so make it up with high numbers , Do it yourselfers never make money at that level , but on the other hand you probably can not purchase the product that you can grow yourself .

do pigs eat leopard frogs?

Jeff could always bring the hogs downwind of the neighbors corn trough and turn them loose after dark? back home at first light for coffee.

do pigs eat leopard frogs?

Jeff could always bring the hogs downwind of the neighbors corn trough and turn them loose after dark? back home at first light for coffee.

If I know pasture hogs, they will find the neighbors corn whether you want them too or not!

If you're going to do the work, I would recommend getting a heritage breed pig. I'm talking the hairy fat ones that came to America on wooden boats hundreds of years ago. Red wattle, mule foot, etc. Those are the old fashioned ones that were made to take a sun tan and are naturally fatter than today's engineered lean factory pig. You can alter the taste of pork with two weeks of a feed prior to butcher. The meat will be red, not an anemic white. It will be juicy, flavorful, and remind you of how chops tasted when you were a kid. I also believe hogs gain at a conversion rate of 1:3 or 1:2. It's really good for pigs. If you got land you want cleared, put your pigs on it.

I buy a red wattle about once a year in the fall. You won't get rich, but you'll learn to love pork again. I had my epiphany when I almost barfed from a store chop about three years ago. Just no flavor in the fat anymore.

Funny you should mention the frogs...Since I have pretty much failed at everything upland except frogs, I am in the beginning stages of a new business concept. Stay with me here....I'm thinking about creating a new market in the outdoor hunting world. Completely affordable, possible cash flowing with the proper set up..... I am going to set up leopard frog cash hunts. The initial expense for the high fence (6" total height) will be a pretty good outlay. But after that, I think I could sell 2 to 3 hunts per decade. Geee whiz I love land management. So many opportunities,so little time, and costs next to nothing!:confused::D
Remember the state will soon be into managing the harvest. License fees will increase and there will be unlimited doe tags.

What defines a trophy?

Funny you should mention the frogs...Since I have pretty much failed at everything upland except frogs, I am in the beginning stages of a new business concept. Stay with me here....I'm thinking about creating a new market in the outdoor hunting world. Completely affordable, possible cash flowing with the proper set up..... I am going to set up leopard frog cash hunts. The initial expense for the high fence (6" total height) will be a pretty good outlay. But after that, I think I could sell 2 to 3 hunts per decade. Geee whiz I love land management. So many opportunities,so little time, and costs next to nothing!:confused::D
Jeff I think you are unto something there...hard to find a good quality leopard frog hunt nowadays

You could provide a fishing & hunting experience all at the same time.