My little Piggy

MNFISH

A good 3 year old buck

Last edited:
Can I put one in there?

Be prepared for the unexpected. What will you do if they get out?

By the way, why are you doing this? Seems like allot of trouble just to have pork.

We do some every year, They need high protein diet and a worming but the quality is second to none , when hogs get out generally they want to be back in , think roof and some bedding deep straw if they get out shut off the fence and open it up by nightfall they will usually find their way back inside to their home , Now loading in a trailer can get a little wild when full grown or drop um on site

For pond raised fish, I can expect a 2:1 conversion ratio with a high quality feed. Pigs the same, worse, better? 4 month growth rate?
We get feeders born early Feb . and pick them up early mid june and they will be finished by mid Nov, and weigh 300 plus pounds , I prefer a large animal chops cover the plate and if your hungry one is enough . feeders probably weigh around 40 pounds when we get them . They will need 50 to 60 bu. corn per animal and we feed bean meal about 250 pounds they will forage the rest and will tear up the whole acre pull the fence and plant cover next spring no till

I was told that putting hogs on apples for the last 30 days or so gives them a great flavor-true or false?

Jeff- raise a few hogs and sell them. Keep track of expenses, become a farmer, and see if real estate or other taxes would change.

HOLY CHIT. .....That is awesome growth!!! 7.5-8X in 5 months. Once again for the cheap sets....HOLY CHIT!
Genetics are very important , don't cheap out and buy runt feeders buy the best most vigorous feeders you can find start with bad animals and they never perform as good , good feeders can be hard to find , everyone wants that time frame so they don't have to over winter , growth rates are much slower in the winter .

I was told that putting hogs on apples for the last 30 days or so gives them a great flavor-true or false?
We feed apples and apple mash from cider , surplus pumpkins , they eat it and enjoy it but they look for the grain every day

MNFISH,
You can probably get a semi load of pumpkins from Norms farmer market after halloween. Just need a place to store them. :)

Too bad I won't likely have my dump truck done by then. I could really hose my shoot anything that moves neighbors with a pumpkin pile. :D

Fruit trees, Fish, Bees, and maybe Pigs....I should qualify for some office.:)
Maybe run for President? I changed your words a bit...

Next year I'm thinking about raising a couple of pigs on my land. 1 acre fenced in area (3' with hot wire) including a wallow hole. Two castrated boars. Hog rings and shots. Fed with automatic feeder. Released in June. Anybody ever done anything like this? What kind of growth rate should I expect with 4 months? Just how bad of an idea is this?

Are you Nuts?:eek:

Do the words FERAL PIG mean anything.

Do the words FERAL PIG mean anything.
So far, our winters have led to those being tracked down and shot. I hope they never become established.

Bat Sh*t crazy! :eek::D

200 pigs held in with just a hot wire?........If you want to lose money, it will be a great place to start.

Don't you need deep fencing to keep 'em from digging their way under?

Setting up a pig pen didn't look too affordable the last time I thought I was interested.

200!!!! :eek:Holy cow NO!!!! 2 to 3 pigs MAX!! Nose rings, inside hot wire along with a 3' woven wire outer should minimize the rick of getting out

Funny, I thought your post said a couple hundred pigs. Sorry, but 2 may still be nuts!;)

What about Coyotes? How are you going to protect them?

Get a couple Guard Llamas or a Jackass. :)

You are going to have a little zoo in no time Jeff.