Age this deer

omicron1792

5 year old buck +
He was on my cameras last year. No real advancement on antlers from last year to this year. Maybe a little thicker at base.

IMG_2987.jpegIMG_2987.jpeg

4.5 plus - old he enough his antlers most likely are not going to blow up next year. His belly already has. Looks like he is getting more than his fair share - especially if that is a recent picture. Our bucks looking pretty gaunt right now.

4.5 plus - old he enough his antlers most likely are not going to blow up next year. His belly already has. Looks like he is getting more than his fair share - especially if that is a recent picture. Our bucks looking pretty gaunt right now.
That was last night. Bucks becoming much more active and are coming closer and closer to daylight hours with some out in the sun already.

That was my thoughts too. That belly and neck look old.

This is a very typical deer at my place. Probably 50-60% of bucks are standard 8 points that never progress past that. 30% or so are the forkies, with 10% bigger.

Survey of the descent bucks I have on camera last 2 weeks. At least 5 different ones and up to 7. Hard for me to tell

Give me a shoot or pass on each. Knowing I have one more buck tag, and have harvested 2. Also, in peak rut I’ll get a bunch of strays that come through. I actually thought the last one I harvested was one of the mature 8’s I have, but it turns out I had never seen him before.
IMG_2999.jpegIMG_2771.jpegIMG_3005.png
IMG_3009.pngIMG_2859.jpegIMG_3008.pngIMG_2914.jpeg

IMG_2913.jpeg

Last edited:
He was on my cameras last year. No real advancement on antlers from last year to this year. Maybe a little thicker at base.

View attachment 60726View attachment 60727
At least 4, but maybe 5+ given the belly, brisket and your statement that there has been no change in his antler growth since last year.

A little confused my man. First deer is a different deer than one you linked. Has a broken left brow tine. Here is a better angle of old guy with broken tine. Bottom one much longer antlers and narrow fork at end or right antler. Too one the right brow tine starts at base and second one it starts 2-3 Inches up main beam.

Top deer looks 4-5 and bottom one looks 3ish. My whole point is I would like to see bottom one reach his potential, and top one looks maxed out.

Something else?
IMG_3011.jpeg
1703117201684.jpeg

Last edited:
A little confused my man. First deer is a different deer than one you linked. Has a broken left brow tine. Here is a better angle of old guy with broken tine. Bottom one much longer antlers and narrow fork at end or right antler. Too one the right brow tine starts at base and second one it starts 2-3 Inches up main beam.

Top deer looks 4-5 and bottom one looks 3ish. My whole point is I would like to see bottom one reach his potential, and top one looks maxed out.

Something else?
View attachment 60753
View attachment 60754

He said cull him, so I linked the recent culling discussion. Just kidding around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes total sense.
He said cull him, so I linked the recent culling discussion. Just kidding around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Makes total sense!

Nighttime temps and single pics can be very confusing! Having said that, i don't think he'll be a monster anywhere 🙂 If you are happy, shoot!

Nighttime temps and single pics can be very confusing! Having said that, i don't think he'll be a monster anywhere 🙂 If you are happy, shoot!

I was going to mention that -3 but then I see its C not F. Sometimes the cold does puff them up but he's a fatty with short nose. No shame in taking any deer you want to, but I think he's mature and not ever going to the beauty contest. I'd have on the gotta go list to leave room for an up and comer.

I wanted to kill this 6 point in the worst way. I think he died of old age. only laid eyes on him once.

9e2423ae-6ab9-4c46-9b8a-80b54bf31405-jpeg.38106