My Land Tour...The Big Woods

Bee's are ready for winter, hives wrapped and wind protection up.
vzFes5e.jpg

While deer hunting this past weekend I heard a rooster cackling again at dusk so this morning I took Darcy out to see if we could find one.
Wind was ten mph out of west so I hunted her into it and she was fun to watch and work with. I also like that we have enough pheasant cover and food that they were able to survive after being released the day before Thanksgiving.
72fYM5S.jpg

icd8KgL.jpg

nduotXt.jpg
Man, that last pic is frame worthy!

Man, that last pic is frame worthy!

Thanks pinetag14, my wife really liked that pic too I think we might do something with it for the family room. So far this year it has been one of my favorite hunts, just me and the dog on a very low impact "Gentlemen" style hunt taking our time and enjoying the morning.

Life is so short.....enjoy every minute of every day

I just came back to this thread. Pinetag beat me to the same thought ……….. that last pic on post #120 is magazine cover material. I'd frame it and hang it in the "man cave". That's a GREAT picture !! Give Darcy a scratch behind the ears for me.

I just came back to this thread. Pinetag beat me to the same thought ……….. that last pic on post #120 is magazine cover material. I'd frame it and hang it in the "man cave". That's a GREAT picture !! Give Darcy a scratch behind the ears for me.

Thanks, will do Bows!

Had to put these up youngest son just had the dog out at the farm.

YkQaFHJ.jpg

qYWBgsY.jpg

5ax8jfx.jpg

p7qOEdf.jpg

NNXLyKM.jpg

lnAQcg3.jpg

Wow that was a cool sequence.

Wow that was a cool sequence.

The youngest son put his phone in dirt while Darcy held the bird on point and sent me the vid here at work, I pulled the pics off that.
The new pup is having a good year and is really turning into a good bird dog.

Darcy looks to be laying claim to partial credit for the brace of birds. She looks as natural in the scene as the surrounding landscape !! Gonna be a good one. Congrats !!

Well I haven't gone in to much definition on the woods part of the farm, I was out there this morning so I thought I would take some pics and go over it.
I try to be very low impact on the woods, most of the year it's hands off I leave it to the wildlife only really walking it in late winter and spring a few times...other than that I try to leave it be.
It is mostly a hardwoods a mix of red/white oak, walnut, hickory, cherry and hard maple with some odd native stuff mixed in. It is around fifteen acres (a long fifteen) and slowly spreading bigger, it was select logged around ten years ago so we have a bunch of new low growth, it gets thicker every year. We had the big ash die off and most of those have blown down now and I pretty much just let them lay were they drop, we don't use much fire wood and the dead ones are good for bedding cover and lots of wildlife. The center of the woods kind of floods a couple times a year, if we get a lot of rain I might have from a few inches to a foot of standing water down parts of the middle third of the woods for a couple weeks. Some spots are kind of open but most of it is getting hard to see more than twenty or thirty yards or so in the woods at ground level. The south side is a few feet higher than the north side of woods. We have some really big trees maybe 60'-70' feet tall, I think a couple of the tallest are some old hickory's and huge black locust, but the majority of the trees are from seedlings to half grown. We plan on select logging again to open the canopy up and generate a little revenue in about ten years.

We have hunted the farm for close to ten years, we leased for a few years before buying it so we have been able to see the change in the woods in the last decade.

A couple cherry trees, they seem to grow in clusters I never just see just one by itself. As soon as they get nice sized about as big around as the steering wheel of my truck they usually die for some reason.
pKy3Zd0.jpg

The older hazelnut strip along woods is doing well, most of the catkins have been eatin by the birds already, they were loaded a few weeks ago.
emABSwX.jpg

Some big oaks along the back of the woods, turkeys love to roost in them and every few years they really put some acorns down.
xdWzQlt.jpg

WOwlbxB.jpg

A huge old locust tree
8Sc4wtu.jpg

FgDb2RB.jpg

Another big oak
laj6JA4.jpg

A pileated woodpecker was after something on this cherry tree
T8GShcp.jpg

A big old tree that we call "The Knee"
kifxmIo.jpg

An oak that I see turkeys roosting in a lot
gl9X8gP.jpg

I had to back up a little way to get this pic, a huge old Harry Potter looking oak that probably saw Indians walk under it
3JHg4gV.jpg

And we have about a dozen sycamore trees in the woods, a few are pretty big. I've always really liked sycamores maybe it's from the Zacchaeus story in the Bible.
WeamXdU.jpg

dQOiv9k.jpg

Continued;

We had a 3"-4" snow Saturday night and I could not believe how many deer were using the place in the day and a half since the snow stopped! Deer trails and tracks are everywhere....some tracks were huge.
rfnn46f.jpg

zXm6Ymo.jpg

OXlnOU6.jpg

Hm4v5jP.jpg

VCiz4dY.jpg

One even ran down my truck track the twenty minutes I was in the woods!
ElJq5UT.jpg

Normally we see dozens of thumb sized trees rubbed in patches in the woods along with my conifers...but now and then we find a big one.
This one is the size of a coffee can
KRIKAB3.jpg

And I brought my shotgun along just in case Darcy got a bunny going..but they were holed up.
NKYeKWP.jpg

Besides the deer tracks everywhere there were some squirrel tracks but that was about it...no turkey/coon/possum/yote or fox...and I didn't cut any pheasant tracks today so we must have about all of them rounded up or the hawks do.

I took a look at the shrub strips today too and was very pleased with the growth put on this past year.

A highbush cranberry branching out great
tdl7mEX.jpg

Pin oak really jumped and is over three and a half feet
T9kzXxp.jpg

ROD has grown like gang busters, crowning and branching great
O6elQ4x.jpg

One crab had some trouble, the damn mice climbed the two feet of screen and almost girdled it. My fault for not paying better attention and pulling the switch grass that was in cage allowing them to have cover from the hawks and owls. I fixed the problem and hope it might make it only one side was chewed there is still some bark connected.
I'm glad it was only an issue at one crab.
td8iGZD.jpg

I wanted to show some of the deer we have taken.
About half of these came of our farms in the last ten years, back wall in the garage.
1krK1ww.jpg

My personal best, 158 7/8" taken about a mile from the little woods
Qtmz26r.jpg

My wife's uncle shot this one...Uncle "One Shot" Ron, scored 172" he got it the year after I killed my big one
IBGkZrx.jpg

Lookin' grim, H20 - I'd throw in the towel !! :emoji_smirk:

Well - all looks pretty good there. Darcy seems like your shadow these days - photo-bombed the one pic. Those big trees must throw down some good seed production & that's good. I like sycamores too - the "ghosts" of winter. Tracks everywhere - great sign they like the place. I hope our ROD get to look like yours soon. Mice & voles - don't they crap in your cheerios ?? Those little b-tards killed a couple of our biggest apple trees about 7 years ago. FWIW - I've had good luck putting Tree Kote on wounds like the mice did to your crab. No bugs got in and it healed well. I hope your crab survives the damage.

Those 2 bucks are dandies. Good genetics around there. Back wall of garage - evidence of folks with the disease. :emoji_astonished: May we all be sick like that !!! Thanks for posting all the pix. Great looking property.

Have you heard of a bridge graft? Might be a solution for that chewed up crab.

Always enjoy the updates. I recall that bruiser of One Shot Ron's you posted somewhere, saying it was aged just a 3 yr old. Definitely a sportsman's paradise out in that part of Ohio.

Lookin' grim, H20 - I'd throw in the towel !! :emoji_smirk:

Well - all looks pretty good there. Darcy seems like your shadow these days - photo-bombed the one pic. Those big trees must throw down some good seed production & that's good. I like sycamores too - the "ghosts" of winter. Tracks everywhere - great sign they like the place. I hope our ROD get to look like yours soon. Mice & voles - don't they crap in your cheerios ?? Those little b-tards killed a couple of our biggest apple trees about 7 years ago. FWIW - I've had good luck putting Tree Kote on wounds like the mice did to your crab. No bugs got in and it healed well. I hope your crab survives the damage.

Those 2 bucks are dandies. Good genetics around there. Back wall of garage - evidence of folks with the disease. :emoji_astonished: May we all be sick like that !!! Thanks for posting all the pix. Great looking property.

Thanks Bows, yep I take Darcy with me about everywhere as long as I'm not working or up a tree she is my constant side kick. The youngest boy is currently training her to help find shed antlers, he bought some kind of training smell he puts on old sheds and hides them and she seems to be taking to that pretty good so far.
The mice vole thing has me pissed...never thought I'd say it but I would like to see more hawks around the pasture. I see a red tail daily watching the place and a little kestrel a couple times a week...they need to get to eating!
Going to try the Tree Kote on that crab thanks for the tip, as high as it is I figured worse case scenario it might throw another lead below the damage?

Always enjoy the updates. I recall that bruiser of One Shot Ron's you posted somewhere, saying it was aged just a 3 yr old. Definitely a sportsman's paradise out in that part of Ohio.

Yep it was a three year old, he was funny when he got it kept saying it was a seventeen pointer or something. He is old school with the hang a ring on a nub theory that it counts as a point because it has all kinds of gnarly burrs on its bases....I call it a very nice ten point.

This time of year when it is good and cold I really enjoy cutting firewood and splitting it, it takes me back to my childhood working with my Dad on weekends supplying the wood to heat our house.
There is always a good sized tree or two that I want out of the way for one reason or another. I normally let the bigger stuff dry out for a year then split it the following winter unless I'm feeling froggy the day I cut. Bought a nice Fisker splitting axe/maul a couple years ago and it is "almost" fun to use.
We don't use a lot of fire wood maybe a cord or two, mostly for our fire pit and my daughter uses a cord or so a year at her house for the same. It's also nice to have an extra truck load around if a friend needs any. I also like stacking the brush into nice big piles for the bunnies and birds.

Spent this past weekend with a chainsaw in my hands and even got some help yesterday from the new son in law, looking forward to my next day off to get back at it.

F2v30Xk.jpg

Growing up my parents used to heat our house with wood too and it seems we were always cutting wood when I wanted to be out doing other things, funny thing is when I moved out dad stopped heating with wood.

H20 - There's just something pleasing and "home-y" about a big stack of firewood. I like the sense of accomplishment after a nice wall of firewood is cut, split & stacked. As modern and sophisticated as we are in today's society, I think everyone still likes a wood fire. A wood stove feels pretty good in the dead of winter !!

Looks like an oak of some sort ?? It looks good.