My apple search is over

SD51555

5 year old buck +
This weekend we did a little neighbor outreach and got some great habitat Intel. A guy just a mile away from us is growing sweet sixteen, harrelson, and some crab apples. He wasn't sure what the crabs were. The trees were snapped off below the graft, and these came back. I think we have a winner.

86a7145dbaa021e35047b915ca3cb918.jpg

fdc234b4beeba54d9839004acdb9392f.jpg

Sent from my mobile land management office.

Any chance you could get some seeds? :)

If it grew from the rootstock,, maybe the seed would be true to the apple.

I think so. I'd need a little training in how to handle them once I got em.

I couldn't believe how loaded up those trees were. I asked how long they hang on, and he told me they stand into early november.

I'd be down for a seed or scion lol

Wow - what a tree !! Looks great. Good luck with getting seeds or scion.

That's ONE tree in your search for good ones ;)
If the tree's owner is willing to let you take some scions come spring, you're good to go
There's a guy across the road that looks like he's got a loaded crab apple too. I'll crank up the diplomacy and make it happen. After all, it's not every day someone comes into your yard and tells you that you've got the apple tree he's been searching for.

^^^oftentimes a sixer of adult beverages shared with a guy can lead to all the scions you'd ever need :)

Or you can what I do with roadside trees...grab scions while trying to look innocent

If they're on the right of way, there's no need to look innocent!

You tell that to some irate farmer ;) I won't grab them on or off the right of way unless there's nobody around and the buildings are well off the road.

I actually had a run in with someone this summer! The guy wondered wtf I was doing outside of his house, or rather on his property. I pointed out that I was just getting an apple from the tree, and that it was on the right of way so I'm able to get them, but I would be glad to leave if he felt uneasy about me being there. He then replied with something along the lines of "Oh apples, ey? You're not hurting anything... it's the ROW, take a few!"

This tree was also literally arms length from the road, so I wasn't being too intrusive. Also, his house was a few hundred feet off of the road. From what I've experienced (other than one old lady shooting me dirty looks for pulling over my car while getting elderberries from a roadside ditch) most people are alright as long as you're not being a moron or really sketchy about it.

ROW in my township is a bit confusing. I own to the center line of the dirt roads that form my E boundary. The township does have a ROW...but its up to me to maintain it :confused: Even though I own it and maintain it, trappers can make sets within 33' of the center line (mainly an issue only on culverts).

I'm sure ours can be confusing as well, I just mean the 15 or however many feet from the road that you can pull over onto.

That's my point...I own that 15' and pay taxes on it.

I'm fine with it since most of our, at least at our place, utilities are directly overhead. For us, maintaining it is mainly making sure that you don't have trees growing up. I don't think that we have the same deal with trappers. I'm really not sure, but that seems like a pretty odd rule w/ regards to the trappers.

This weekend we did a little neighbor outreach and got some great habitat Intel. A guy just a mile away from us is growing sweet sixteen, harrelson, and some crab apples. He wasn't sure what the crabs were. The trees were snapped off below the graft, and these came back. I think we have a winner.

86a7145dbaa021e35047b915ca3cb918.jpg

fdc234b4beeba54d9839004acdb9392f.jpg

Sent from my mobile land management office.
Zone 172?

Yep. Less than a mile from our land.

I will be getting my first sweet sixteen this year. I have 2 on one tree I will harvest in few weeks Will let you know how they are but someone told me they are better than Honeycrisp

I will be getting my first sweet sixteen this year. I have 2 on one tree I will harvest in few weeks Will let you know how they are but someone told me they are better than Honeycrisp
I'll take the other one.......

I don't know. Sweet sixteen that's left to hang for a while can be darn good.

I don't know. Sweet sixteen that's left to hang for a while can be darn good.

Had my first Sweet Sixteen last week up in MI. Pretty unique apple. Great texture, sweet, tart, with overtones of cherry and licorice. The non-apple flavors were very subtle and mainly made the flavor much more complex. I have a 2nd or 3rd year tree in the ground. Can't wait to get some of my own apples. The crab in the original post looks great. Did anyone try eating one?

Nope. Just a pic and move on.

That apple looks like a chestnut crab, but drop time is a bit late.
Did you sample the crab and is it edible?
If edible and above the rootstock, I would think chestnut crab.
I have a late dropping rootstock crab that is inedible and holds into the winter. The crab is longer than it is wider but similar in size to the chestnut crab.
I talked to some old timers from up north of your place and they felt dolgo and whitney were hardy, but early droppers.

chestnut.jpg

Chestnut crab as of 9-27-15. Gentle north slope.

I never even though to grab one to taste. I'm going to keep a sharp eye out for early november to see if any are still hanging. I don't think I"ll get back up until season now.