Multiple sprayings for resistant weeds?

The reason I said to mow it was to get it actively growing again. Then it is easier to kill by spraying. The taller and more mature....the harder to kill.

Here is some examples of spraying with interline,32 ounces per acre,3 lbs of AMS per acre and they recommend 15 gal and soaker nozzles but I used 12 gallon per acre and a boomless nozzle,drove slower than normal but not much. This RR corn got burned alittle but is fine,the beans didn't fair as well so I replanted.i know my corn is late but just mixed some in.Missed this strip,then I have spot sprayed marestail and thistleinterline1.jpg interline2.jpg interline3.jpg thistle interline.jpg

Here is some examples of spraying with interline,32 ounces per acre,3 lbs of AMS per acre and they recommend 15 gal and soaker nozzles but I used 12 gallon per acre and a boomless nozzle,drove slower than normal but not much. This RR corn got burned alittle but is fine,the beans didn't fair as well so I replanted.i know my corn is late but just mixed some in.Missed this strip,then I have spot sprayed marestail and thistleView attachment 13796 View attachment 13797 View attachment 13798 View attachment 13799
I like the look of that!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I like the look of that!

Me too! I was going to go Liberty link this year but $10 beans from the NWTF were to hard to turn down. Marestail is worse than pigweed for me this year. Next year I have no choice but to go Liberty.

Check this out. The neighbor puts in 17 acres of crop beans on me. They sprayed it yesterday with Glufosinate

Look what "24 hours" did.......

Cocklebur is browning already

image.png

Pigweed is browning and weeping

image.png

Ragweed is toast.

image.png

I think I sprayed mine last sunday.Interline was 50.00 a gallon but where I will only use on food plots or heavy weed growth it should last

I think I sprayed mine last sunday.Interline was 50.00 a gallon but where I will only use on food plots or heavy weed growth it should last
$50/gallon isn't a lot more than gly. 2.5 gallons would last me a long time (if it doesn't have a shelf life)!

Me too! I was going to go Liberty link this year but $10 beans from the NWTF were to hard to turn down. Marestail is worse than pigweed for me this year. Next year I have no choice but to go Liberty.

Check this out. The neighbor puts in 17 acres of crop beans on me. They sprayed it yesterday with Glufosinate

Look what "24 hours" did.......

Cocklebur is browning already

View attachment 13800

Pigweed is browning and weeping

View attachment 13801

Ragweed is toast.

View attachment 13802

This is what my weeds look like two days after 3 0z. per gal. gly application.

This is what my weeds look like two days after 3 0z. per gal. gly application.

You have friendly weeds :). Big ag around me. Everyone is dealing with resistant weeds. Mostly marestail and pigweed but the cocklebur and ragweed are starting to show resistance.

Next spring you might consider using an alternate like gramoxone for initial burndown. Our problems are mostly sicklepod and pigweed but gramoxone every few years does a fine job of managing against resistance.

Sometimes it's easier to work with something than against it. If one had a no till drill and kept the ground seasonally covered over time the weed issues would be easier to deal with or maybe there would be a lesser amount that they would just be accepted. Every time we till we expose seeds that have been laying dormant for hundreds of years because they were to deep in the soil to germinate.

Next spring you might consider using an alternate like gramoxone for initial burndown. Our problems are mostly sicklepod and pigweed but gramoxone every few years does a fine job of managing against resistance.
I'm already in the planning stages. From now on burndown will include two or more modes of action and I will probably alternate from yr to yr what I use. I'm not familiar with gramoxone but I'll look into it.

Sometimes it's easier to work with something than against it. If one had a no till drill and kept the ground seasonally covered over time the weed issues would be easier to deal with or maybe there would be a lesser amount that they would just be accepted. Every time we till we expose seeds that have been laying dormant for hundreds of years because they were to deep in the soil to germinate.

Strictly throw-n-mow on these plots. This ground has never been turned and has vegetative cover all yr. The only time I burn it down is when I plant it to the next crop. I think the marestail grew hidden in last summer's millet and sunflower crops and were allowed to seed... why I'm having a problem this yr.

Carefull with the gramoxone, that stuff puts round up to shame. Don't let anything u want to keep catch a whiff of that.

But it does work wonders and does what it was made to do, and that my friend is burn stuff to ground!!!
Sidenote: Also read the label, know carryover or rotational restrictions on any products you intend to appy

Last edited:
Carefull with the gramoxone, that stuff puts round up to shame. Don't let anything u want to keep catch a whiff of that.

But it does work wonders and does what it was made to do, and that my friend is burn stuff to ground!!!
Sidenote: Also read the label, know carryover or rotational restrictions on any products you intend to appy
I don't like drift. It isn't calm a lot of days in KS and my plots are intimate with stuff I don't want harmed. I'll read up on it some. Thanks.

there are drift control agents available that you can add to the tank to help in reducing drift by a decent margin in my opinion.

Justified by Helena or Interlock by Winfield to name a few, there are a lot of different products out there.
I just prefer these 2

Now by all means these wont help reduce operator error or in excess winds over 15mph, but what they will do is keep your drift-able fines reduced in number an on target.

Not many calm days in SD either. So I take the extra precaution. 50 cents worth of product makes me feel a heck a lot safer around some not so cheap habitat improvements. Especially when using hand pump spray packs with tips or nozzels not up to snuff.

A little goes a long ways with this stuff, usually 3 oz to the acre.

Last edited:
My initial thought was that multiple spraying would help control resistant weeds much like multiple mowings do in a clover patch. Turns out that if weed is resistant one day it is still resistant a month later. 3 sprayings don't seem to do anything other than keep it weeping a little and probably hurt the soil.

I've resorted to pulling marestail by hand until I get to a coop and buy something that will work. I will then spot spray to get rid this yrs crop (I intend to kill everything that survived my sprayings before they seed. I'm resolute that nothing with resistance passes on it's genetics!).

Thanks for all the replies. I have a lot to restructure in my chemical use plan and plotting plans.