Mr. Bartylla?

I included a little on it in my first and there's about 2 chapters worth in the 2nd. In the 3rd, there'll be 2-3 chapters that address it both directly and indirectly.

That said, not trying to convince you not to buy them, you'll get almost as much from nearly any article I've done on hunting pressured bucks. The hunting aspect is pretty simple. I'll try to elaborate on this later, but in an overly simplified nutshell, find the pockets others aren't hunting, minimize disturbances as much as practically possible, leave the gadgets at home and hunt your best public land spots when conditions are good-great.

Hunting pressured deer is challenging, but my approach to hunting them is pretty simple. If I tried to write a book specifically on hunting pressured deer, I'd be very hard pressed to do more than 4 chapters. I could probably hit 6, without too much fluff, but that'd be about as hard as I could push it, and have a product I could be proud of.

Over the past 20ish years, I've taken about a half dozen P&Ys from public grounds. You can bump that up to around a dozen, if you include properties with similar hunting pressure. Every one has been the direct result of using the K.I.S.S. method: Keep It Simple, Stupid. I'll start a thread on it, when I have some time, as I believe it's an important topic. Also, I think it can be covered in a thread pretty much as well as in a book. I don't believe you'd regret buying any of the books, as I'd like to believe you'd find some meat and potatoes type info in each that would be beneficial. That said, I think a thread on pressured bucks would probably address pressured bucks as well.

How's that for a sales pitch?! :D haha
I admire your honesty, Steve.

Yep, you are not the only one ;).

bueller, I am SURE we have walked on some of the same ground at one point or another.;):)

Thanks, Art, but the props really go to my mom and an uncle I worked with for hammering honesty into my head when knee high to a grasshopper. Besides, I like not hating the person that looks back at me in the mirror...may not be an overly pretty sight, but at least I can have some respect for him. That's worth more than a couple bucks to me.

Whip and Bueller (and Tooln, if he ever hunts off his property), I'd bet I've either walked the very same ground or dang close to it as you guys...Very small world.

Last edited:
Whip, even if a person doesn't hunt public grounds, I think it would be a thread of value. Pressured deer don't have a clue if they are living on private or public grounds, but most react generally the same. Truth be told, a lot of the most heavily hunted grounds I've been on have been some of the outfitters' grounds I consulted for in the earlier years (though I didn't count those, as they at least managed for older deer). A lot of the "family" farms in WI, MN & MI are hammered harder than a lot of public ground.

Long way of saying, I bet there are more here that hunt pressured bucks than a person would think, whether they hunt public or private.

There is a plus side to that, though. I believe hunting those settings do a lot to make one a better hunter. You spend a decent amount of time hunting pressured deer and are at all successful, better ground is a cake walk.

Totally agree Steve. Even on my dad's old place(25 acres), the east/south neighbor had 69 acres and I swear sometimes 69 hunters.:rolleyes::mad: To the north, 600 acres of pounded County Forest directly adjacent to our land. To the west we had our adjacent neighbor who didn't hunt and gave us run of the back 15 of his 25 acres, and further west 2 properties with 1 hunter per 10 -15 acres on each of those places. Obviously this was during the rifle season. As far as hunters went, bow season was really quite quiet in our area as far as hunters, especially off the back of the county land. The biggest issue with that was we had lots of non-deer hunting folks that would just wander around on that county land on a year around basis.