Mr. Bartylla?

Deer Kar

5 year old buck +
Before this forum switch to the new format MR Bartylla was an active member I sure wish some one who knows him could ask him to rejoin. I have enjoyed his articles book and seminars over the years. He is an encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to habitat for wildlife. IMO With the ability to phrase thing in such a way that they really make sense. Not just pimping products!!

Last edited:
Funny i was thinking the same thing about an hour ago

He and his wife are vacationing this week... I believe he said it involved a speedo...:confused::p

Well I hope he didn't come to Mn. This morning It snowed AGAIN (just a little on the grass). I'm ready for that global warming stuff to kick in any time now....

I was thinking of asking Steve, also.

I bet he has a contact through deer and deer hunting magazine, I need someone to debate with. Haha I'm sure he'll come back, he comes and goes in waves.

Before this forum switch to the new format MR Bartylla was an active member I sure wish some one who knows him could ask him to rejoin. I have enjoyed his articles book and seminars over the years. He is an encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to habitat for wildlife. IMO With the ability to phrase thing in such a way that they really make sense. Not just pimping products!!

I don't know about an encyclopedia but, he does try and use every word in the dictionary and at a high rate of speed. LOL! Seriously, he was here often early on and said he was very busy until after the 1st.

Wow, thanks guys.

I was doing a 10 year anniversary trip with my wife. We went to Nicaragua and stayed in a house right on the ocean...Cheaper than we could have done a US vacation for the same number of days (wife has an amazing ability to pull off incredible trips I'd never have considered going on for amazingly little $$$$). It was the first time in around 20 years that I didn't do a lick of work for over 24 hours.

No speedo. We had the beach pretty much to ourselves, but there were the occasional children that would walk past and I'd hate to have given them nightmares for life.

I will be a bit short on time, even now. I've got a book that I'm only 1 chapter into that I have to have done by the end of next month (57,500 words of 60,000 done), articles, a web site project to push over the edge, several on site consults left and a bunch of work on the various properties I manage. So, things will be a bit overwhelming, but that's a great problem to have.

Long way of saying, I'll be in and out for a couple months, but am afraid you people are ultimately stuck with me.

Nice to see you made it back to Habitat-Talk Version 2.0. Always good to have commentary from guys who have been around the block on as many varied properties as yourself. Good to hear your vacation went well, keeping momma happy is the name of the game!;)

Agree, whip...She more than deserves it.

Glad you made it and looking forward to more interesting and informative threads.

Steve
I always enjoy your post. Now I wish I cold understand everything you talk about. :confused:

Thanks guys....And if/when I post something that others don't understand, that's 100% my failing, not yours. Unless you're going to get into stuff like Doug does (plantings to benefit soils heath, while mixing and matching seed types to balance fertility taken and provided), the rest is easy to follow. I respect deer more than most people, but we're still taking dumb animals. They don't have the power to reason or analyze. With fairly few exceptions, most everything they do is either a reaction to something else (much like a reflex reaction) or in an attempt to acquire the basic things they need for survival.

Outside of "Doug topics," The same is really true of habitat manipulation. Plans may seem complex. However, no one act or part really is at all. IMO, the very best merely link things together to aid deer and deer hunting.

This is one of the biggest problems in this niche today. Far too many try to make all this (hunting &/or habitat manipulation) way more complicated than it is. Doing so somehow elevates the presenter's "expertise," as only he or she is smart enough to have figured it out and you need them if you hope to ever grasp it or reap the rewards of their unbelievable insights, while pushing their products and/or their services, of course.

I promise, while you may not agree with everything I have laid out in that sample plan posted in LC's sub forum, by the time that thread is done, you will understand every part of it. Each act is really just a simple tool meant to produce "this" or "that." That one sample plan utilizes more than half of the tools used. No tool is complex, just like hunting isn't really overly complex, once the curtain is pulled back to reveal the hows and whys. If the audience doesn't understand, it's a failing of the presenter, not the audience.

Any hints on what the new book is about or when it will be printed? Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge. Your posts are very helpful and even though we all have different hunting situations (big small public and private parcels ) the things you talk about seem to make sense.

Thanks for the kind words.

It is being written for/published by the owners of Deer & Deer Hunting. So, it takes way more time than self publishing. It won't be done until sometime in Nov or Dec. It's the 3rd in what is essentially a 3 part book series on hunting tactics. The first revolved around stand placement. The second focused on the details I address. This one is more geared towards the methods I use to pull stuff off (how I scout, what I looks for, my go to methods, important factors I consider, how I decide when to hunt that stand vrs this one and so on). Next year, I'll do a book on habitat and deer management. The last one I have planned is on mistakes and what I've learned from them. I've generally known what my 1st 5 books would be before I wrote the 1st, and what order I wanted them to come out in. I figured it would allow them to fit together better that way.

Well, let's just say that I do 1-2 articles on that a year, never repeat subject matter and always have more to cover than my 2500 word count allows. If I included anywhere close to them all, mine would rival, if not beat yours in length.

I'm OK with making mistakes, as well as admitting when I make them. Frankly, I think they're good things (assuming they don't come at a high price in an important area of life), so long as I learn from and don't repeat them.

Steve, have you or do you intend to write any books on the tactics you use on public lands? I am always looking for an edge to make my public ground forays more successful. I would love to hear(read) your insight on this.

I included a little on it in my first and there's about 2 chapters worth in the 2nd. In the 3rd, there'll be 2-3 chapters that address it both directly and indirectly.

That said, not trying to convince you not to buy them, you'll get almost as much from nearly any article I've done on hunting pressured bucks. The hunting aspect is pretty simple. I'll try to elaborate on this later, but in an overly simplified nutshell, find the pockets others aren't hunting, minimize disturbances as much as practically possible, leave the gadgets at home and hunt your best public land spots when conditions are good-great.

Hunting pressured deer is challenging, but my approach to hunting them is pretty simple. If I tried to write a book specifically on hunting pressured deer, I'd be very hard pressed to do more than 4 chapters. I could probably hit 6, without too much fluff, but that'd be about as hard as I could push it, and have a product I could be proud of.

Over the past 20ish years, I've taken about a half dozen P&Ys from public grounds. You can bump that up to around a dozen, if you include properties with similar hunting pressure. Every one has been the direct result of using the K.I.S.S. method: Keep It Simple, Stupid. I'll start a thread on it, when I have some time, as I believe it's an important topic. Also, I think it can be covered in a thread pretty much as well as in a book. I don't believe you'd regret buying any of the books, as I'd like to believe you'd find some meat and potatoes type info in each that would be beneficial. That said, I think a thread on pressured bucks would probably address pressured bucks as well.

How's that for a sales pitch?! :D haha

Sounds awesome Steve, I will have to look for some reading material then. Your suggestion on a thread for that topic would be great also, as I know that there are at least some guys on here that hunt both public and private lands.

Sounds awesome Steve, I will have to look for some reading material then. Your suggestion on a thread for that topic would be great also, as I know that there are at least some guys on here that hunt both public and private lands.
Yep, you are not the only one ;).